Fram Ultra Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this really good for a 15k oci (the claim on the box)?? Has any one here ran one of these for that long? What about this filter makes it capable of such a long drain ? Thanks for any insight you have. It would be sweet to only change my filter every third oci.

See this thread for pictures of 15k+

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4236540/Fram_Ultra_XG7317__24,362_mile#Post4236540

I think the Fram Ultra is one of the best filters on the market (RP and Mobil 1 being the others). IMO, Fram tried to make up for the (bad press) on the OCOD and made an EXCELLENT filter...I hope they keep the price where it is (a relative bargain)...and I won't use anything else.....

The fram ultra is a very good filter lets just hope they don't try to make it better by cheapening it and using louvers. I have used about 30 of them so far since starting to use the ultra about a year or so ago with no problems whatsoever..

Here you have a filter that has a 99%+ filtration efficiency that is rated for 15k

a filter that holds more particles you would think be changed at 3k ( where does a 99%+ filtration efficiency hold all that for 15k )

Save your money

As long as your vehicle has no real problems, it should be fine.

Bad air filter, leaks in the air intake, coolant leaks, etc., you could be in trouble.

That applies to any filter in an extended change interval.

Originally Posted By: heyu
Here you have a filter that has a 99%+ filtration efficiency that is rated for 15k

a filter that holds more particles you would think be changed at 3k ( where does a 99%+ filtration efficiency hold all that for 15k )

Save your money

Bone up on what full synthetic media is capable of.

Originally Posted By: Familyman
Is this really good for a 15k oci (the claim on the box)?? Has any one here ran one of these for that long? What about this filter makes it capable of such a long drain ? Thanks for any insight you have. It would be sweet to only change my filter every third oci.

Yes it can be good for 15k; as mentioned above your engine should be in good shape. 3x OCIs can easily be cut down to 2, or even 1, with the right oil (depending on your driving habits)

The Ultra has two synthetic layers. I pulled one apart and looked for myself awhile back. Gives more capacity. I still run any filter to 5k, not worried about $3 more once or twice a year. I want the premium features besides capacity. There are other premium filters but they don't have two layer media as far as I know. I also held each layer as best as possible up to a bright lamp and they didn't show any pinholes or porosity by eye. That's pretty good as some others I have tried do show some pinholes. Sort of fits with their high efficiency numbers.

DSCN2036_zpsn7863wep.jpg

DSCN2035_zpsrfrywl28.jpg
DSCN2034_zpsfafsboyw.jpg

Real men do not run pink media oil filters. Unless its a special edition Susan G. Komen 4-the-cure awareness edition of the Ultra, then its OK.

Next thing you know, some Royal num-nut will put purple dye in their engine oil. Then we'll all have to wear tights. Disgusting. It ain't right.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Real men do not run pink media oil filters. Unless its a special edition Susan G. Komen 4-the-cure awareness edition of the Ultra, then its OK.

Next thing you know, some Royal num-nut will put purple dye in their engine oil. Then we'll all have to wear tights. Disgusting. It ain't right.

Is the Hello Kitty version legit then?

Originally Posted By: Familyman

What gives it the ability to go that far is capacity. Most Ultra models can hold 25-32 grams of dirt to full. Given that the dirtiest of engines make around a gram per 1000 miles, they easily go the distance. Lots of filters have great capacity and still are not rated to 15k. Why? Construction and filter media. Synthetic glass microfiber media filters will never degrade when immersed in oil. Typical cellulose/synthetic blends can and will degrade over time. The silicone adbv also stays pliable forever. Stay tuned, we will be upping the mileage interval on these in 2017.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
I routinely use $2 Pronto's for 10k and they look great. I wouldn't sweat it.

2$ Pronto filters hold 2-5 grams of dirt, so your filter is in bypass for over half the OCI. But hey, as long as they "look great" I suppose that is all that matters. Happy New Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back