0w20 or 5w20 suggestions for 09' Camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, got the 09' Camry with 111,xxx miles on it. Says 5w20 or 0w20 to use. I'm leaning towards M1 0w20 or Valvoline Maxlife synthetic 0w20 or possibly 5w20 Maxlife blend. Will go 6,000 and go from there

4r2mig.jpg

NAPA synthetic still on sale $2.99 this month..plus a couple 50% off coupons out there too.

Originally Posted By: car51
So, got the 09' Camry with 111,xxx miles on it. Says 5w20 or 0w20 to use. I'm leaning towards M1 0w20 or Valvoline Maxlife synthetic 0w20 or possibly 5w20 Maxlife blend. Will go 6,000 and go from there

Some reading that you may want to do:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/104-5t...ion-thread.html
Toyota was and may still be rebuilding the engines at no charge even out of warranty.

I'd use a 5w30 myself. 6000miles is right in the middle of a good HM oil and Syn. If you usually change it early, rarely hit 6k, then use Maxlife or another good HM oil. If you usually go over the 6k mark then a syn will work fine.

Make sure to spray out the PCV Valve, PCV lines, and throttle body with carb cleaner. Many do not do this and after 100k+ it will help a bit.

Originally Posted By: car51
Car uses no oil and link was about hybrid car. Maintenance done at 89k and again at 103,xxx

Link was for all I4's including the hybrid.

OK, having these in a fleet we never had those issues

I have no oil consumption. I'd be more worried if I owned a Hyundai
frown.gif

Jimzz: I did do the thing you mentioned and oil was still amber looking. Older couple put Maxlife 0w20 Syn in and it's been 2k

May just keeping on with Maxlife 0w20 Syn or try 5w30. All these decisions LOL!

Play devils advocate here: what would M1 0w40 or 30 do?

My kids 2008 Scion Tc has the same oil recommendation. Got car with 31k on it and put in 0w20. It used more oil on a 5k oil change than any car I owned. Used some T6 5w40 and Castrol 0w40 and got less oil loss. I guess you will have to watch and see if you have any oil consumption if you use 0w20.

M1 0W20 AFE. These engines aren't hard on oil, but just have the clogged oil return ports. I personally would use the 0W30 variant instead if I could find it. Castrol Edge would be nice as well. Supposedly Titanium prevents sludge build up, which COULD help prevent the oil return ports from clogging further more if those claims prove true.

Congrats on the car Car51! Surprised nobody mentioned the TGMO 0w20 already; I know it was a big deal a year or so ago. That's what's in our Camry, and I'll probably keep using it.

BTW, I pretty much know where you took that picture, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back