How Its Made.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watched a few shows lately and noticed one thing among many.
They had Peugeot, Maserati, Porsche, and Bentley on the shows I viewed
and then the Chevy Camaro...... The 3.6L V6 model engine.

Anyway the Chevy appeared to me to have the best machining and finishes of all of these motors shown. Really.
Before you freak, make sure you see the shows. .

I'm not a huge Chevy fan as most of my family worked there and you were a criminal if you didn't buy GM.
That said I have seen Chevy trucks owned by an abuser run until the got wrecked or rusted out.
No care whatsoever and hit 500K miles.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
That said I have seen Chevy trucks owned by an abuser run until the got wrecked or rusted out.

Really, 500K miles and "no care whatsoever"?

That's amazing.

Amazing is an understatement.. 500,000 miles without any care is all the proof we need.. It's very clear now that taking care of your Chevy truck will lead to premature wear and tear. But doing nothing to it will only get you around 500,000 miles out of it.

Just buy a better truck and be done with it.
Only messing with you..

Ok, I have mentioned BiL's Chevy 1500 with 400k (and holding, he is in cancer treatments).
The front wheel bearings were the only "repairs" but when you are talking those miles - is it ?
For services- MS at 5k, brake pads, tires, transmission fluids, axle fluids.

My brother the torturer of all vehicles.
Ran it out to 400K with the factory plugs- the worst driver known to man.
Hits every pothole and it is a construction truck driven by maybe 40 drivers over 10 years.
He has had several and oil changes are every 10-15K or whenever.
Yes kschachn- don't take my words out of context- no care is not the same as no maintenance.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Really, 500K miles and "no care whatsoever"?

That's amazing.

You laugh but I have seen people like myself baby cars and get limited life while this guy drives like a nut case
and winter warm up. Uh no, start it and immediately nail it and get down the road. Maintenance is only done when you're stranded and if you can add water and oil to get it to run, that's all it gets....... You always see the steel belts through the tires and they get replaced by used tires only when they actually fail. That kind of nonsense.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Amazing is an understatement.. 500,000 miles without any care is all the proof we need.. It's very clear now that taking care of your Chevy truck will lead to premature wear and tear. But doing nothing to it will only get you around 500,000 miles out of it.

Just buy a better truck and be done with it.
Only messing with you..

Anyway the Chevy appeared to me to have the best machining and finishes of all of these motors shown. Really.

I'm not a huge Chevy fan as most of my family worked there and you were a criminal if you didn't buy GM.

Okay, I just watched those over on youtube and all appear to be very nicely machined so I'm not sure exactly what you were comparing. About the only thing I noticed that could be considered a problem is when that guy installing the crank in the Camaro engine decided it needed to be bounce checked against the bearings, not cool.

Last edited:
I just know that I didn't get to 360K on my Sienna with "no care whatsoever". No way that would happen.

And that's not taking anything out of context, just repeating what was said.

You have aged foreign rides and none are built to the specs of a 2500 series Chevy truck so how could you even compare? I guess you can't, can you? Your rides are light duty transporters and not workhorses.

I just know that I didn't get to 360K on my Sienna with "no care whatsoever". No way that would happen.

Do you have a machining background?

Originally Posted By: funflyer

Okay, I just watched those over on youtube and all appear to be very nicely machined so I'm not sure exactly what you were comparing. About the only thing I noticed that could be considered a problem is when that guy installing the crank in the Camaro engine decided it needed to be bounce checked against the bearings, not cool.

Do you have a machining background?

Originally Posted By: funflyer

I've done a bit, and inspected a whole lot

You have aged foreign rides and none are built to the specs of a 2500 series Chevy truck so how could you even compare? I guess you can't, can you? Your rides are light duty transporters and not workhorses.

I guess I don't know anything about what it takes to keep an engine - any engine - running for multiple hundreds of thousands of miles.

I think that both require "care" but maybe that's just me.

No, that's not it.
You know how to maintain light duty vehicles but know not of what you don't own.

No, that's not it.
You know how to maintain light duty vehicles but know not of what you don't own.

So you're saying that those engines are fundamentally different in design such that the "care" they require is different, and (per your statement) can by design be given no care for 500K miles and still survive?

I don't think so.

That's your story not mine. Are you saying you have more experience then the guy that has owned them over 40 years and put millions of miles on them? Yeah sure you are.
Next time we all need advice on commercial duty vehicles we know who to come and see.
Kudos to you!

No, that's not it.

So you're saying that those engines are fundamentally different in design such that the "care" they require is different, and (per your statement) can by design be given no care for 500K miles and still survive?

I don't think so.

That's your story not mine. Are you saying you have more experience then the guy that has owned them over 40 years and put millions of miles on them? Yeah sure you are.
Next time we all need advice on commercial duty vehicles we know who to come and see.
Kudos to you!

OK, so what's different? How is the design and "care" different such that one can go 500K miles with nothing but water and oil and the other one cannot? Explain it then, what don't I know?

Oh and 400K on factory plugs. How does the design of the engine affect the spark plugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back