Universal tractor fluid as ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm changing the transmission filter and adjusting the bands in my 1994 Dodge Ram Cummins diesel truck with the 47RH transmission. I'm thinking about refilling with universal tractor transmission fluid rather than the standard red ATF. It seems to me that any trans fluid that will work with wet clutches should work in an Automotive transmission... and many tractors see far more severe conditions than most on road transmission applications. How well do you think this would work ? Thanks.

I did it on my company work van and it seemed to work. But then the van wasn't mine. I also wonder if the tractor would be a better oil for manual transmissions that suggest ATF.

Terrible idea b/c of the friction modifiers. They're different enough between dexron and dodge spec.

Its not like ATF is that expensive. Use the right stuff.

The best case it works. Next best is that it slips and you dump it without harm...

Or else, slowly or quickly damaged AT.

Quote:
I'm changing the transmission filter and adjusting the bands in my 1994 Dodge Ram Cummins diesel truck with the 47RH transmission. I'm thinking about refilling with universal tractor transmission fluid rather than the standard red ATF. It seems to me that any trans fluid that will work with wet clutches should work in an Automotive transmission... and many tractors see far more severe conditions than most on road transmission applications. How well do you think this would work ? Thanks.

An UTF (typically of 5W30 grades) would work fine in torque-converter type auto transmissions.
In relation to a typical Dexron III, it provides higher MOFT (i.e after shearing).
The bearings and gear sets within would love the extra AW additives from UTF.
Overall, components longevity may improve .... but surely not subpar.

Quote:
I did it on my company work van and it seemed to work. But then the van wasn't mine. I also wonder if the tractor would be a better oil for manual transmissions that suggest ATF.

Maybe valid for components wear protection, but synchronizers might hate its FM ...... more so some UTF's are without appropriate "GL4 FM' .
There is a chance some synchronizers might be picky on some UTF that comes with GL4. Not all UTF are GL4's.
In terms of components wear protection, UTF is generally stronger than a typical ATF.

Originally Posted By: Brad123D

Don't even think about putting that in a dodge tranny. If you even put dextrin 3 in there it'll act up and shift badly Those are finicky trannys and they demand type 4 . Period. They aren't the most reliable either like most dodge auto trannies so don't screw with it experimenting around. Don't ever flush it either. Iirc It says right in the literature flushing not allowed and will void the warranty ect. Just drop , clean the pan change the filterleave it be beyond that.

I run utf in my w250 it has a 518. Red stuff slips more. Your dodge will shift firmer and slip less. I run utf in other automatics as well with good results. Yes it's cheaper than the red stuff.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Terrible idea b/c of the friction modifiers. They're different enough between dexron and dodge spec.

thumbsup2.gif

Use an ATF+4 or equivalent fluid.

UTF does not have the proper mix of FM's or AW additives, plus most UTf's have a 9.0 cSt viscosity verses the ~7.5 cST of ATF+4.

Let me state this again:

A IC engine's FM does not equal an ATF FM does not equal a Gear Lube FM nor does it equal the FM in a UTF. Different chemistries folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back