Valvoline Synpower love?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
only because you can get a rebranded version of it on sale at Napa several times a year, including right now, for $2.99/qt. Napa Synthetic is rebranded Synpower
smile.gif

LOL

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Valvoline Synpower and Napa synthetic are two completely different oils as stated by Ashland.
If you say so.

Link to the Napa Synthetic thread

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4269886/1

Going by the pour points posted in another thread, it looks like Napa is pure Group 3 while SynPower is a combination of Group 3 with some PAO Group 4 added. Going by PQIA, their add pack looks similar, but there could be some ashless organic adds that don't show up in the PQIA inorganic analysis.

To be honest, I think Valvoline punches above it's weight, given it's limited inorganic add pack, as suggested by the quite simple tool of a standard VOA. People hold this against Valvoline, no molly, Na detergent, etc. But maybe they are leading the way. Everybody else is heading towards a low SAPS add pack to protect the Cat & DPF, plus reducing Ca detergent to combat LSPI in DI petrol engines. Yet maybe Valvoline is already half way there, yet people hold this against them. Are they falling behind or leading the way?

Me ? I'm going Valvoline on my next oil change.

I have used Valvoline in all my cars and trucks for over 40 years. I have never not once had an engine fail from anything other than a replaceable part which was totally unrelated to oil. I have a 1998 Nissan with 350K on it and still runs like a top. My dad has a 28 year old Dodge Dakota with 250K and no problems. Dad is a retired Valvoline refinery employee. I cant speak for the synthetic oils but as for their Dino oils it makes no difference who's can its in its all the same oil. Dad canned it for years. Synthetic might be different. I could care less what the factory rep said. If you go down to the canning line its all the same oil. But don't know for sure about the synthetic.

If you dont believe him then call Ashland yourself and see what they say... I'd bet Ashland will say exactly what aquariuscsm says here. They are different oils blended by Ashland.

Call Ashland ask them. Some of the analysis add-pack readings are mistaken. Some get mis-filed - some get mixed-up - some get read incorrectly - some are sent/mailed incorrectly and the wrong oil used. If I were a NAPA dealer manager, I would sent-in a sample of Valvoline oil for used oil analysis and tell the analysts it's NAPA oil. That way I get more business selling NAPA oil.

Go hear it from the real horse's mouth - on the phone or by email. The oil is different and so is the measurements of the add-pack.

Is everything you and I read on internet true?.... c'mon! The folks on the other-end of the telephone at Ashland will tell you the truth.... otherwise they lose their jobs. Most-all reps dealing with the public have their phone calls and emails recorded and conversations / attachments can be retraced.

Last edited:
Lastly, If you don't get the answer you seek from the product honchos, then expect their trade secrets to remain private. All companies dealing with everything from food to oil, have unrevealed trade secrets. They aren't lying then ..... just being hush-hush.

There are better synthetic oil options at the same or lower price point . Besides , Synpower is not a particularly long drain oil so two strikes against it for me ...
Originally Posted By: Camprunner
I often get the feeling that Valvoline Synpower gets overlooked by people on this site? I have looked into it and it seems VS does not show a real solid add pack in virgin oil samples tested although I strongly believe that oil tests don't show you all that is in the oil esp when it seems synpower seems to produce real good UOA results. So what gives is it not good enough at its price point? It does use a sodium add pack that other oils don't use are people afraid to use it?

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Call Ashland ask them. Some of the analysis add-pack readings are mistaken. Some get mis-filed - some get mixed-up - some get read incorrectly - some are sent/mailed incorrectly and the wrong oil used. ...

Or sometimes they lie to preserve premium reputation for their core product...

I don't know that to be the case, but the PQIA VOA's are absolutely identical. Maybe they have some organic additives on Synpower not in Napa. IDK...

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
There are better synthetic oil options at the same or lower price point . Besides , Synpower is not a particularly long drain oil so two strikes against it for me ...

Some UOA's here may indicate otherwise with a strong TBN over longer intervals. But I take UOA's with a grain of sodium, er, salt...
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: bbhero
If you dont believe him then call Ashland yourself and see what they say... I'd bet Ashland will say exactly what aquariuscsm says here. They are different oils blended by Ashland.
I'm sure they don't come from the same pot, but they are very similar, he said they are completely different which if you look at PQIA's analysis they are very close.

If I cooked chili in 2 different pots on my stove, one had a dash of cayenne pepper and the other instead had a dash of black pepper, I could say they're 2 different recipes. Very very close, but very similar. That's what I assume the difference is like to SynPower and Napa Synthetic.

I had an in depth conversation with a valvoline rep about a yr ago. I will say that vwb is a fantastic oil that I've had hands on experience running. I go back and forth bet vwb and ms5k as my top dino choice. I get some oil usage with the synthetics but still use them.Any how the rep said that they(napa) gets whats left over. Now i had asked him numerous times what that meant and i couldn't get a straight answer. He did however admit to it having a better base stock but not sure if that was true or he was trying to get me off the phone,lol... Just one mans experience...

Last edited:
I usually get at least five jugs when it is on sale for $19.99 at TSC. I got my five in the summer at TSC then WM had them for the same price last month. I couldn't help but pickup three more. I run it for 10 000 km and it semms fine.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Lets quit harassing Ashland.

All we need to know is that it works.

Period.

Well said!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back