Mobil 1 EP 5W-30, 16,400 mi, 2008 4 Runner V8

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMZ

Oil was in service from Oct 2015 until Dec 2016, utilizing a M1 EP (M1-209) filter. Mix of hwy and city miles, mostly hwy with lots of trips over mountain passes. I replaced with more Mobil 1 EP 5W-30 and a Fram Ultra (3614) filter. I last had a UOA done by both Blackstone/OAI labs (here) at the 51,000 mi mark. This was a heavy driving year for me so Ill probably stick with a 15k OCI.

Lab: Blackstone
Miles on oil: 16,400
Time on oil: 14 mo
Miles on engine: 89,480
Sample date: 12/16/2016
Report date: 12/21/2016
Makeup oil added: 0

Aluminum 6
Chromium 0
Iron 22
Copper 3
Lead 1
Tin 1
Molybdenum 83
Nickel 1
Manganese 0
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 3
Boron 29
Silicon 19
Sodium 23
Calcium 1243
Magnesium 730
Phosphorous 731
Zinc 891
Barium 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210* F = 60.4
cSt Viscosity @ 100* C = 10.32
Flashpoint in * F = 390

Fuel % = Antifreeze % = 0.0
Water % = 0.0
Insolubles % = 0.4

TBN = 2.6

Looks great. Viscosity kv100 stayed in grade, TBN actually looked like you could go another couple thousand miles before getting to 1. Maybe silicon is a little high, not sure. Anybody know what silicon limits should be, or is a lot of that anti-foam additives.

I'd check any oil filter you put on for closed spiral tube louvers, the latest thing to be paranoid about these days. Report here if you find closed louvers, as some have pointed out. Nice choice of Fram Ultra, is there really anything better? Insolubles might have been a bit high here though. I think 0.1 is the gold standard.

Will you be able to cut and post the oil filter? I'd love to see what an M1 filter is like after that many miles.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: micmac
Change your air filter maybe. Other than that, I see no fault with this OCI and oil/filter combo.

While the silicon content should be about ten ppm (see VOA for this oil for anti-foam content), not 19, its not due to running an older air filter, since air filters actually filter better as they age (due to the "cake layer" formation on the intake side where pollen, insects, dust, fibers, etc. form a cake layer). Might check for any air leaks around the intake pipe and filter gasket, but that 19 ppm really ain't much.

3 rules apply here.

1. no oil is good in a crankcase for more than 12 months.

2. oil companies do not dictate oil change intervals.

3. no oil produced today can handle acid in your crankcase beyond 5-8K.

a TBN below 3 is not good. see page here Click here>>: http://www.blackstone-labs.com/do-i-need-a-tbn.php

Read the last example...

The fastest production car in the world had a team of engineers determine Castrol Edge is the best oil in the world.

The proof is in the car. the koenigsegg. the engine and it's records speak volumes. it is what it is. it ain't marketing.

Why are we going for such long OCI anyhow ?

Wallyworld + do it yourself = $$Profit$$
wink.gif

What is wrong with pennzoil high mileage it has WAY more Boron and Moly than mobile 1 and is $15 @ 5 Qt. at WW ?

Even quaker state HM or ultimate would be better really.... Merry Xmas all
cool.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jarad248
3 rules apply here.

a TBN below 3 is not good. see page here Click here>>: http://www.blackstone-labs.com/do-i-need-a-tbn.php

Read the last example...

The fastest production car in the world had a team of engineers determine Castrol Edge is the best oil in the world.

The proof is in the car. the koenigsegg. the engine and it's records speak volumes. it is what it is. it ain't marketing.

wink.gif

What is wrong with pennzoil high mileage it has WAY more Boron and Moly than mobile 1 and is $15 @ 5 Qt. at WW ?

cool.gif

Let's see-#1, wrong (I personally have UOAs showing oil still fine after 2 years plus in my Cummins); #2, wrong-M1 EP is GUARANTEED to handle 15K miles, many modern OLMs will not indicate an OCI needed until 10K; #3, wrong-see above, & my personal condemnation limit for M1 EP was due to shearing a 5W30 into a 20 weight, TBN numbers still good at 10K (on my xB in my sig, look in my post history if you don't believe it). Also, with bypass filtration, many members here have pushed OCIs into & beyond the 25,000 mile range with mainly highway driving-only analysis will show how long oil can be used. Of course, I could always go to Wally World & buy Super Tech dino 5W30 & ST filters & change it every 5K on the xB-but where's the fun in that?

jarads posts continue to amaze; despite evidence directly contradicting what he asserts, he soldiers on.

Until a 403,000 mile koenigsegg gets me to work every morning, i will continue to do what I am doing.

Looks stellar OP'r.

Quote:

no oil is good in a crankcase for more than 12 months.

How does it "know?"

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: THafeez
Will you be able to cut and post the oil filter? I'd love to see what an M1 filter is like after that many miles.
smile.gif

You know I still have it waiting to go to disposal, I will have to hacksaw into it but I am interested too. Didnt think about it during the change.

I had been using the M1 filters exclusively for many years with no issues but have run out and wanted to try the latest and greatest.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Originally Posted By: micmac
Change your air filter maybe. Other than that, I see no fault with this OCI and oil/filter combo.

While the silicon content should be about ten ppm (see VOA for this oil for anti-foam content), not 19, its not due to running an older air filter, since air filters actually filter better as they age (due to the "cake layer" formation on the intake side where pollen, insects, dust, fibers, etc. form a cake layer). Might check for any air leaks around the intake pipe and filter gasket, but that 19 ppm really ain't much.

Yea it wasn't enough for me to be alarmed but enough to take notice, everything was tight. I had a couple trips up and down the west coast on this run FWIW.

I planned on changing the air filter at 100k.

3 rules apply here.

I think that my UOA history backs up Mobil's claim of EP being a 1 yr/15k mi oil with some room to spare, at least in my application. A test of a Koenigsegg engine can be extrapolated into zero logical comparisons for the 2UZ-FE engine, which just loafs along and is one of the easiest engines on an oil.

3 rules apply here.

Read the last example...

wink.gif

cool.gif

Just about everything you said is wrong.

3 rules apply here.

Read the last example...

wink.gif

cool.gif

Please leave. You've posted the same incorrect crazy stuff as gospel since day one.

OP, That Toyota V8 is doing excellent. 19 ppm Silicon is fantastic for 16,400 miles. I agree 100% with your analysis of 15k is going to work just fine for you and you have some testing to confirm your hypothesis.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Looks great. Viscosity kv100 stayed in grade, TBN actually looked like you could go another couple thousand miles before getting to 1.

This ....... with low metal wear rates.
blush.gif

GMZ,
Commended that you are going the distance with that M1EP filter. It will be interesting to see the 16K OCI side-by-side comparison with current Fram Ultra filter.

for future UOA, try the robust M1 0W-40 and see if the TBN can get you further to 20K miles OCI.

Great report - nice to see someone fully utilize a high quality lube. Silicon looks fine for a 16k run. Thanks for posting.

For what it's worth, I have a 2006 Tundra with the same engine.

In addition, I have owned about 10 other Toyota vehicles, and have performed UOAs on all of them long term.

Toyota uses Silicon sealers in its engines. It generally takes a long time (well over 50K miles) for the silicon levels to completely wash out and not contribute significantly to silicon levels in normal OCIs. However, Silicon that leaches out from sealers can accumulate in extended OCIs, and I suspect we're seeing some of that in this silicon level.

Impressive results for 16k. M1EP is a great oil.

The fact that it stayed dead-in-grade impresses me the most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back