Pennzoil Euro L 5W-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What else can this realistically be used in? It looks like VW Diesel only, but if you use the Lubrizo tool to compare the oil specs, it looks like an insanely robust oil, overall. Any thoughts? It's on clearance at Autozone now and I snagged a few dozen quarts, so I may as well figure out what its safe to use in - because god knows I'll never own any VW junk lol.

Low SAPs and VOA shows a ton of Boron.

It has an unusual overall add pack. Some of the other low SAPS oils like M1 would run 400-700 ppm of Magnesium. This one runs with Boron at 500 ppm to make up for the missing Calcium. Other than VW diesels (or similar) not sure where I'd use it either. Might be ok for my 4.6L which currently gets PP 5w-30.

I'd submit for the $2/qt rebates....up to 24 qt limit for 2016. You'll end paying no more than 10c-15c per quart in the end.

I saw this at AZ and started grabbing it but stopped when I didn't see any API seal (not that that makes it a bad oil) and instead went for the Euro AV version.

Originally Posted By: Ifixyawata
I saw this at AZ and started grabbing it but stopped when I didn't see any API seal (not that that makes it a bad oil) and instead went for the Euro AV version.
PP Euro L correct? The bottles I have have API service SN in the donut on the back.

Originally Posted By: umungus1122
PP Euro L correct? The bottles I have have API service SN in the donut on the back.

That must be it. My AZ had two 'platinum-looking' Pennzoil varieties of 5w-30 that were both 'Euro'. I'm pretty positive that the L variety didn't show any API donut whereas the AV version did. May have been a different iteration of the L variety?

Looks like they 2 styles floating around. A charcoal colored quart and a light silver colored quart. Some say API SN and some don't I guess. Their site says API SN though.

It carries the vw504 approval too.. so for a 502 spec'ing oil consuming Audi that is out of warranty, I think it'll be just fine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KenO
What else can this realistically be used in? It looks like VW Diesel only, but if you use the Lubrizo tool to compare the oil specs, it looks like an insanely robust oil, overall. Any thoughts? It's on clearance at Autozone now and I snagged a few dozen quarts, so I may as well figure out what its safe to use in - because god knows I'll never own any VW junk lol.

The bottles I saw at AZ were marked SN and were in dark gray containers (like the original PU).
I believe this is the PDS:
http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/products/f...c_Motor_Oil.pdf

I would use that oil in any and all the cars in your signature that spec 5w30.

Originally Posted By: pbm

The bottles I saw at AZ were marked SN and were in dark gray containers (like the original PU).

Nope, this ones a specifically VW version apparently.

Originally Posted By: pbm

CORRECTION:
After rechecking the containers....they DO NOT show SN on them....the SN was in the PDS.....sorry for the misinformation.

The containers do say:
"Suitable for fuel injected gasoline and diesel engines fitted with 'blow by' recirculation and catalytic converters operating in extreme driving conditions"

ALSO

"Meets or exceeds the requirements of the following industry specifications: ACEA A3/B3/B4, ACEA C2 &C3, BMW LL-04, MB approval 229.51, VW 504 00/ 507 00, Chrysler MS-11106.

Again, sorry for the earlier misinformation.

I just picked up a bottle to read. Light grey bottle. Says Euro AV, not L. I was wrong on that.

API SN
ACEA C3
VW 502.00/505.00/505.01

Interestingly enough, the Euro AV carries the above VW approvals, but does not look to be an A3/ B4?

Anyone have any info on vw502 and vw504? I thought I read a while back that 504 simply replaced 502?

There were 2 varieties floating around my local AZ, EV and L. I was assuming these were a big no for gassers since they were both labeled diesel but is one or both usable in a beater? Is it an issue if it's a oil burner?

Originally Posted By: 99Saturn
There were 2 varieties floating around my local AZ, EV and L. I was assuming these were a big no for gassers since they were both labeled diesel but is one or both usable in a beater? Is it an issue if it's a oil burner?

they will work fine in your oil burner, absolutely nothing wrong with using them in a gas engine
smile.gif

Isn't "oil burner" also used as a slang term for diesel cars too?
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Interestingly enough, the Euro AV carries the above VW approvals, but does not look to be an A3/ B4?

Anyone have any info on vw502 and vw504? I thought I read a while back that 504 simply replaced 502?

VW504 is ACEA C3 oil.
VW 502.00 is A3/B3 B4
VW 504 is Low-SAPS and really not suitable for U.S. gas especially in DI engines.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
they will work fine in your oil burner, absolutely nothing wrong with using them in a gas engine
smile.gif

I'm not sure why the label pushes diesel so much, either. Their sales literature is much the same. SN is still SN. My G37 calls for SM or newer, not SM/GF-4 or newer, and Castrol has no problem recommending their 5w-30 C3 product for the G37, if I were crazy enough to shell out for single quart pricing.

Bringing this thread back to life. If you get your oil changed at certain Firestones and request 5W-30, you migh get Euro L... that's what i saw them add in two gasoline vehicles while i was there changing tires. It shows as an API SN approved oil. I'd have no issue using it in either of my Hyundai.

Yes, that would work fine for my G37, which really only needs SM or better, not calling for ILSAC. But, the only sensible container size available up here is exactly what you showed in your picture.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back