Purolator Classic L14476 cut open - 14,438 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle is a 2000 Toyota Camry with the 4 cylinder engine.

Current vehicle mileage:
sfm6zO.jpg

Cardboard top from previous oil change at 124,390 miles on Feb 10, 2013
o1EXSm.jpg

Old filter removed:
zELLdJ.jpg

Filter itself:
QBuGQB.jpg

Wznq4W.jpg

CJV9AA.jpg

ZFLcxB.jpg

As you can see, a huge tear. Not as dirty as I was expecting, but who knows if that's because the tear was letting everything through. It's an inherited car, and sat for a year, and the owner was too busy dying to change the oil (or top it off). I know for a fact the previous install date and mileage is correct because I installed it. I thought that they really weren't using the car.

The filter went approx 2X to 3X what they are designed for. Don't see anything you can say other than run any paper filter long enough, and it will probably tear. I still have a couple of Puro's and M/C filters leftover and need to use them up.... but don't intend to go past 3K-4K with them.

That poor Camry...although that engine can probably handle the abuse since they're so well made. If they had used a Fram Ultra and good synthetic oil, it likely would have been fine.

those years Toyota 4 cylinder engines are very good engines their 6 cylinder engines were another story but back in 2000 they built a good 4 cylinder.

Made Jan 5, 2013 ... in the prime time of Tearolator output.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
I'm kind of disappointed that I finally bothered to cut open an oil filter and it wasn't a worse proverbial train wreck inside.

You wanted to see more tears?

Originally Posted By: Macgyver452
That poor Camry...although that engine can probably handle the abuse since they're so well made. If they had used a Fram Ultra and good synthetic oil, it likely would have been fine.

+1

Using a FRAM Ultra for sure would've been fine.

I am not sure what the other members here are expecting to see. This is a $3 filter that ran almost the same number of miles as what an Ultra is rated for.

This is a 5000 mile filter.
It was way overused.
I think any 3.00 paper filter would look the same or worse.

When a filter maker puts 15,000 miles, or whatever miles, on a box it is an estimate of how much dirt the filter can hold before it stops filtering. It isn't the miles to failure. The filter stays intact. C'mon already.

All Purolator filters are warrantied to perform to the standards as set out in the vehicle manufactures owner's manual. There is no other "rating". I don't think they use the word "rating" in their marketing. They may "recommend" a filter change interval, but that is only a recommendation. It's all marketing hype to get you to buy more of their product. If you call them and ask if their bottom of the line filter is inadequate to perform the normal filter change interval spelled out in the owner's manual, they will absolutely tell you it is fine to use it for the full interval. This could be up to 15,000 miles as is the case with my van.

If a filter fails within the guidelines of the owner's manual, the manufacturer should be held accountable. Having the number 5,000 miles on the side of the box does not let them off the hook. This is total horse excrement.

I had two purolator classic filters fail. One with 27 holes in it, the other with 23. I don't buy them anymore.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back