Any Reason Not To???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm seriously considering buying a 2016 Subaru Outback with the H6. I realize they are kinda vanilla but that's ok. Any mechanical issues I should be weary of? I saw there were some issues with the new body year beginning in 15 but it seems to have been mitigated for the 16 and 17 years.

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
I'm seriously considering buying a 2016 Subaru Outback with the H6. I realize they are kinda vanilla but that's ok. Any mechanical issues I should be WARY of? I saw there were some issues with the new body year beginning in 15 but it seems to have been mitigated for the 16 and 17 years.

From my research, you should be good. The H6 engine is rock solid, unless they've made a lot of changes for '16 that I'm not aware of. Subaru overall are super reliable, and with the Limited version you'll get a lot of bells and whistles. Good choice IMO.

Contrary to some opinions here on BITOG, the 2015 and 2016 Outbacks score high marks vs. the competition. Mine is the 2.5 Premium. I have 20K miles with zero problems, and it gets excellent gas mileage. There was one recall for the electronic parking brake and relay. That's it. Just three oil changes and tire rotations so far. Engine uses no oil between oil changes, which are EZPZ.

I'm already planning to get the 2018 model, as mine is a three year lease.

From what I understand these engines use a lot of RTV, stay clear of ester based oils and its fine, ester and rtv don't play well together. Normal synthetics like M1, PP, PP, etc pose no problem.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy
The only mounts that work with any vehicle is OEM. Period. End of discussion.

crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: CapitalTruck
Just the usual seals at 100k miles. They seem to start leaking oil.

I know the 2.5 had a known hostory of about the 100k mark its gasket time. I was unsure if this issue persists today with the 2015 and newer models.

I'm far from anywhere near the knowledge base on this site...BUT I was already thinking of what oil. The H6 calls for 0-20 IIRC and I was going to be asking.....stick with 0-20 or go 0-30 or 0-40??
33.gif

hogwash.

The 2.5 seems reasonably priced but the H6 seems way too expensive. For roughly the same amount I'd be looking at a Highlander. I'd stick with the recommended 0w20 that they suggest esp during the warranty period.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
The 2.5 seems reasonably priced but the H6 seems way too expensive. For roughly the same amount I'd be looking at a Highlander. I'd stick with the recommended 0w20 that they suggest esp during the warranty period.

Comparable model is more than 5k over Subaru and it's a much larger vehicle. I really like the Highlander, but I'm wanting a smaller ride.

Are you in the right thread?

My Dad has a 2014 with the H6, its been great, no issues so far. Gas mileage isn't great but not far from the H4 and it feels much more torquey. I know he had to special order his with the H6 and it took 4-5 months to come in.

I've never driven an H6, but you don't hear of many issues with them, or the 5spd automatics they're coupled to (or do they offer CVT now?). Fuel economy won't be as good as the 2.5, but you'll have 6cyl power. Like Trav said, the sealing surfaces (aside from HGs) appear to be a grey RTV. You'll see is squeezed out of the block split, timing chain covers, etc. A bit more seal surface area on the H6 over the 4cyl, so you've got more chances for leaks I guess. The other bummer is, the H6 is not PZEV, so you won't get the 15yr/150K mile PZEV warranty coverage like you will with the 2.5.

Last edited:
I have no real comment except they sound pretty neat with opened up intake and exhaust. One of the guys doing autocross has a 3.0L H6 in a 90's Legacy sedan and it sounds more exotic than you would expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back