Failure after Windows Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woke up this morning to discover my desktop with an error. It says, "BOOTMGR image is corrupt. The system cannot boot". I can do nothing else. Anyone know how to fix?

When I run into boot/software problems like this every few years I jump on to a Techie site and start searching for similar problems and fixes. Were there any issues before this update was attempted? Blue screens, freeze ups, etc? If not, you may have lost a part of the program during the update that prevents a reboot. You may end up having to take your computer to a local PC shop who will have to reload all your programs from scratch.

There are some pre-startup features and troubleshooting you can do without your computer booting up (ie off-line). I'd look into those first. Off line diagnostics for one. Try startup repair or recovery modes. Been 3 years since I last had to deal with that stuff so my troubleshooting skills are very hazy right now. Always found some answers and things to try over on the WindowsSeven Forums....or now WindowsTen if there's a new forum for that.

Or you can start here for ideas as there are lots of them

More options

Startup repair, easy recovery essentials, etc.

Windows Seven forums and systems recovery options

In my experience windows updates usually come preloaded with viruses............
Yeah I know but it is my experience.
The last update on W10 messed my boot up and I rebooted a few times to get it to go into desktop mode and then ran Iobit Advanced System Care and my AV- seems fine now. ( Restart was of no use. I had to shut off and then reboot)

Has it ever booted to Windows 10? Did you just upgrade last night?

Don't panic. It's usually a simple fix.

See if this works for you:

https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=327

How to Restore the Windows Vista or Windows 7/8.x/10 Boot Manager
Certain events can prevent the native Boot Manager of Windows Vista or Windows 7/8.x/10 from running. Some examples are:

An older version of Windows was installed after a newer version (e.g. Windows XP was installed after Windows 7).

The boot sector of the Windows partition was corrupted or overwritten somehow.

To restore the Windows Boot Manager:

Access the Windows RE environment. Instructions for running Windows RE can be found in the article How to Access the Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE).

Enter the following command at the Windows RE Command Prompt:

bootrec /fixboot

This command will repair the boot sector of the Windows partition.

Note: For more control over the boot sector repair process, see How to Rebuild the Boot Sector for Windows Vista and Windows 7/8.x/10.

Exit the Command Prompt and restart the computer. This can be done simply by closing the Command Prompt window and then clicking on the Restart button.

If you then find that the Windows Boot Manager runs but does not correctly boot Windows, you may need to boot back into Windows RE and enter the following command at the Command Prompt:

bootrec /rebuildbcd

This command will allow you to rebuild the Windows boot configuration data (BCD).

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Use your system repair disc.

Sometimes you don't get these. When I bought my Dell back in 2012 (directly from Dell) it didn't come with a Windows7 reboot or recovery disk. So last time it crashed hard I had no option but to take it to repair shop that could reload those programs.

You can make the recovery disc or drive yourself using Windows. I think Windows 8 or 8.1 required a usb drive for the repair utility, at least that's what I read before.

Windows 10 system repair recovery drive creation. I always make the disc or drive for my computers.

You might try re seating the primary hard drive cable. This occasionally happens with my Intel SSD and Win7.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
In my experience windows updates usually come preloaded with viruses............
)

do you use pirated windows??

I have never gotten a virus from microsoft.

download hirens boot cd and run smartudm under dos programs.
often the drive is going bad.look for lots of current pending and reallocated.
lots of 7 and 8 upgrades to 10 went south due to a bad hdd.

That's a fairly substantial accusation! Which viruses in particular have you had delivered to you from Microsoft through an update?

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

That's a fairly substantial accusation! Which viruses in particular have you had delivered to you from Microsoft through an update?

I want to knows well. Even though I have all Macintosh computers I do run Windows under VMware Fusion. Don't want to get a nasty virus, you know?

Never.

Originally Posted By: Rand
)

do you use pirated windows??

I have never gotten a virus from microsoft.

Many and MS gets spoofed as well and some inexperienced users can download a bogus update spoofed as a real MS download. Dnetc.exe being just one. And most don't even have av software.

Same with the Flame virus and the end user thinks he is downloading the real MS update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back