06 Scion tc, TGMO 5w30 oil/Toyota filter analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
TGMO 5w-30 oil, 3k miles on oil, 60k on engine.

Finally able to get a lab oil test of my 06 Scion tC, which has the Camry's 2az-fe engine in it, mostly the same save some intake tweaks Toyota did to it.

I also got a particle count, which if I am not mistaken is to test the oil filter's performance. Please let me know how it's performing, I need to refresh my memory on what the results mean (been a busy Christmas season).

I thought the oil analysis came out excellent! I knew Toyota was good, but this blew my mind.

I would like to get everyone's take/opinion on this analysis. thanks!

Iron tracks with mileage generally, so 3ppm @ 3K miles is "fine"; 1ppm per 1K miles. Otherwise you have a good looking normal report.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Iron tracks with mileage generally, so 3ppm @ 3K miles is "fine"; 1ppm per 1K miles. Otherwise you have a good looking normal report.

Thanks for that info, learn something new here everyday, even if I don't always post!

What about the particle count? I've been trying to understand that better but a bit confusing.

It shows most particles are below 14 microns, that's my takeaway. Furthermore, the majority of those appear to be around the 4 micron mark, given the drop between 4 and 6.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
It shows most particles are below 14 microns, that's my takeaway. Furthermore, the majority of those appear to be around the 4 micron mark, given the drop between 4 and 6.

Ok that starts me off in the right direction.. thanks for the info!

As far as I know TGMO 5w30 is just Mobil Super 5w30 with a different sticker and bottle color. Could be the semi-synthetic version of the old Mobil Super 7500. Since titanium is present, I think that could be the case... Anyways - I had a 4k mile run on 0w20 Castrol Magnatec in the same 2az engine as yours from my 2009 Scion xB (same exact engine and drivetrain as tC, IIRC)
Here is the link below. My wear was half of yours on a slightly longer run. Only 0.5ppm per 1000 miles. And the car was driven hard the whole time. So might look into trying out 0w20 Magnatec.
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4280810#Post4280810

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Bebop367
What brand oil filter did you use?

It's a Toyota filter, 90915-10004. It was the odd "fuzzy" filter that was all the rage a couple years ago. Until Toyota banned people from getting them. I had a whole case, down to about 2 or 3 left.

I'm open to look at another filter, be interested to see if another filter of good quality (of course) could filter better, but still maintain flow.

Originally Posted By: Vlad_the_Russian
As far as I know TGMO 5w30 is just Mobil Super 5w30 with a different sticker and bottle color. Could be the semi-synthetic version of the old Mobil Super 7500. Since titanium is present, I think that could be the case... Anyways - I had a 4k mile run on 0w20 Castrol Magnatec in the same 2az engine as yours from my 2009 Scion xB (same exact engine and drivetrain as tC, IIRC)
Here is the link below. My wear was half of yours on a slightly longer run. Only 0.5ppm per 1000 miles. And the car was driven hard the whole time. So might look into trying out 0w20 Magnatec.
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4280810#Post4280810

I also see that on your UOA you had some aluminum wear. I did try 20 weight before on the tC, but it created noise during startup/warmup so I stopped using it immediately. Went back to the 5w-30 and quiet again. Stayed there. I know that the tC has a noisy valvetrain but this was clacking that sounded like pistons. No thanks. But a 5w-30 synthetic I'd be open to the idea of. Thanks for the idea!

And as far as I know, VOA have been done on the TGMO 5w-30 and while Mobil does make it for Toyota. The "recipe" is slightly different. I should dig to find that VOA.

Do you have any particle counts for your xB? Be interesting to see those.

EDIT: Also had to add that the 08 2az-fe engine is slightly different than the 05-06 2az series in the tC. on the 07+, they changed some of the engine design.

Last edited:
I'm so jealous that yours doesn't burn any oil. Mine would've gone through over a quart within 3,000 miles.
smile.gif
Still runs fantastic though, and it's been consistent at that rate since I bought it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back