Coldest temperature you've cycled in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are a couple of other threads asking about the coldest temperatures you've experienced, and the coldest temperatures in which you've started a car w/o block heater etc.

So, to round this out, how about the coldest temperature you've cycled in?

My record might be today - cycled c. to and from church, just under 5 m each way. This morning it was -29 C w/ a windchill of -41 C. I was dressed for it, and pumped up the fattie's tires a bit - when it's this cold, the ice is not too slippery, so I can forgo some traction in favour of lower rolling resistance.

-29 C that is Nucking Futs. I have ridden in below freezing and when I had my bike I rode 12 months out of the year unless it was icy or the KS wind was hurricane force.

I thought the thread was going to be with something with a motor.
Yamaha Majesty, 167 miles, 20F, I-94 freeway, 80mph. I got a lot strange looks being its a maxi scooter

I tried dual purpose bike once, but the 600cc about put my butt into Canada. Could be why my right knee is shot too

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DerbyDave
-29 C that is Nucking Futs.
Indeed, I've accused of being a bit crazy w.r.t. this sort of stuff. I've found, though, that it's best to embrace winter rather than hide indoors. I need the sunshine and fresh air. Riding the fattie and skating the river trail makes me look forward to winter - without outdoor activities, it's a thing to dread. Also, most of co-workers come moping into work after getting out of their warm cars and crossing the frigid parking lot. By contract, I'm delighted to arrive at work on bike. (By the way, I mistakenly wrote '5 m' - I meant 5 km. That's either 1000 x farther if you read 'm' as metres, or only about 5/8 the distance if you read 'm' as miles.)

Nothing below 50°F yet. I was going to start after purchasing cold riding gear but I was told by my boss, aka wife that my birthday and Christmas is coming. So I have to hold off.
smile.gif

A friend of mine is in Wyoming and he rides MTB's and is out in the snow all the time on the trails out there in as low as -2°F from what I have seen. His dogs love it.

Last edited:
Yeah,get out in the Flint Hills on I-70 around December or January with a -2 day and add a hard wind current area around Riley Co. and it'll get you.

I can remember riding a bike to Jr. High School in 1957, with a wind chill of -18F. I also recall being frozen by the time I got there since I did'nt have "artic wear." It was probably about a three mile trip. And, no it was not uphill both ways!!

A few years ago, my buddy and I ordered lights for night biking and were so excited when they came that we went on our first night ride in about five degrees. The wind was screaming out of the west. In the trees, the wind wasn't bad at all. At the end of the ride, we had to cross a huge field to get back to our cars. We almost froze. Our warm weather bike shoes did nothing to protect our feet. Who knows what the wind chill was.

Now, we have fat bikes and we're all geared up for cold weather. Usually, it gets down into the 20's but every so often we'll get a single digit ride in.

Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
A few years ago, my buddy and I ordered lights for night biking and were so excited when they came that we went on our first night ride in about five degrees. The wind was screaming out of the west. In the trees, the wind wasn't bad at all. At the end of the ride, we had to cross a huge field to get back to our cars. We almost froze. Our warm weather bike shoes did nothing to protect our feet. Who knows what the wind chill was.
Wind is always the biggest factor in winter, isn't it? I'll take sunny, clear, and -30 C over cloudy, humid, windy, and -5 C any day!

Fat bikes in the winter are great, aren't they?

I think the lowest I've cycled was about 20F. Last Friday I went riding in 30F to test my new winter pants.

My mistake. You meant cycling. That's easy -34F on a Surly Snow bike.

I really wasn't uncomfortable. I didn't know I was in trouble, until my arm started getting sluggish. It was like being a reptile. My arms just got real real slow, even though I commanded quick movement.

I don't cycle anywhere unless it's hot.
wink.gif
Check out the U of M. It might be like the U of S. When I went to the U of S, people were biking, in very large numbers on the coldest days of the year, given the ridiculously poor parking available there. I didn't see the same experience repeated at the U of R, though, which is basically built on a giant parking lot.

Lowest it gets here is around -3c. Faster you go, you get warmer, but the extremities, hands, nose, ears get colder. Downhills are the worst, you get colder and colder...but then get to warm up the other side.

Lowest is 25 F but the coldest I have ever been was on a fondo ride where it was upper 30's - low 40's and raining and windy. Weather report for the day said mild and in the upper 50's to 60's so I was totally under dressed.

Back when I was commuting by bike full time I would ride in any temps and regularly saw 10-30F occasionally dipping to near-0F temps. Single digits is really too cold, but with proper layering and thick blood can be done. Take care of your fingers and toes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back