Has anyone used this kind of valve spring compress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I am at the stage of removing the valve springs on my 6A12 MIVEC DOHC motor from a Mitsubishi FTO.
It is a headache job and I am contemplating removing the heads.

Naturally I would rather avoid doing this and looking at all options.
Has anyone used the below style of valve spring compressor, and if so what is your opinion?

car-universal-valve-spring-compressor-1620-ehardwarestore-1004-04-aaronngu77@13.jpg

I was just using one today. Maybe the exact same one? $37 cheapo of eBay.

No big complaints at all on a 2008 MINI Cooper S (N14 engine). Got the job done without any problem. It could use a longer lever, but not a big deal. Used a magnet to remove the collets and a small HF needle nose to reinstall. Obviously the head is off here, but I've seen videos of it used on an installed head on a MINI.

Last edited:
It's prettier than the pickle fork one I made decades ago and used successfully.

Give the valve spring retainers a smart whack with a socket to deseat the collets from any varnish first, if they are sticky, it's a real pain.

Thanks guys.

Yes the rear exhaust valves are my main concern with this type of valve spring compressor.

My other option is removing the heads but I've never done this + then there is the added cost of head gaskets, head bolts etc.

Time is not overly important as the goal is to have this done within a few months basically

Originally Posted By: E365
I was just using one today.

What are the chances of that ? One in five billion ? This board is spooky sometimes.
shocked2.gif

Andyd, sorry I don't quite understand your question.
If it is regarding the lash adjusters, they are no longer in the head.
I've removed everything out (cams, rocker arms, cam tray etc).
This is a pic of how the heads are now (rather just one, the rear one still has the cam tray and rockers in it).
Does anyone know what those 2 allen key shaped bolts are for between the spark plug tubes?
IMG_20160917_130751_zpsw2havyo4.jpg

I used one of those on my 16valve 1.6 suzuki engine. Worked great.I used my leak down tester to put about 60-70 lbs air in the cylinder to keep the valves closed.I didn't have the correct tool to pull off the valve stem seals that was the only pain.

Just a quick update, I ended up buying one of those tools and it worked really well. Made changing valve stem seals an easy and painless job (relatively speaking).

I am yet to do the rear exhaust seals (on a V6 FWD car) but so far so good.

I used my floor jack level as an extension bar to help out (otherwise the springs were way too stiff to compress for long enough to install the retainers).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back