CVT fluid for 2015 Mitshubishi outlander sport

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are you changing it so early?

Castrol typically pays the extra $$ to have the specs approved and put on their bottles. If it isn't listed as approved I would stick with OEM. CVTs can be a fickle beast

CVTs are too new to use a multi-vehicle fluid in. If the correct OEM fluid is available, there's no reason not to use it. My two cents.

Besides, just by doing some quick Googling, it looks like Mitsubishi has superseded their J1 spec with J4 which neither of the universals meet.

I assume your car is still under warranty so why not go with the correct OEM product?

Originally Posted By: wemay

That is recommended versus approved. I agree with bottom feeder. I would stick with only approved fluids. My versatrak AWD is the same thing in my Equinox. Stinks considering how much a pint costs but there are zero recommended alternatives.

Under warranty, in the event of any issue especially with AT/CVT I always favor the OEM fluid. That said, as long as you understand and accept the risk, your call. No experience with either CVT fluid, probably just because I've used MaxLife in a couple Hondas successfully, I'd favor the Valvoline FS CVT. But, the Castrol Transmax likely equally good.

Mitsubishi fluids are usually exorbitantly expensive in my experience with two past Lancer variants, of which one was Dual Clutch. I would use the Valvoline or Castrol as well.

My choice would be Castrol
smile.gif

We use Dia Queen, and it isn't over priced here. Mitsubishi offer a good warranty, but want you to use their products - our Triboligist says they have signifiers in the oil and can check on a warranty claim. That said, Mitsubish and Nissan both have a big stake in Jatco, even before Nissan got a big stake in Mitsi, I can't see the Mitsi stuff being anything special beyond what Jatco needs. Castrol supplies Mitsi engine oils here, but not Dia Queen, so being in Mitsi good books, I'd go for Castrol.

Originally Posted By: fujirio
thanks everyone. The dealership wants $19 a bottle so I guess I'll go Valvoline CVT.

save the $20 and get Castrol
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
CVTs are too new to use a multi-vehicle fluid in.
-snip-
it looks like Mitsubishi has superseded their J1 spec with J4 which neither of the universals meet.

Castrol does say their CVT fluid is ok to use where J4 is called for
smile.gif

The dealership wants $19 a bottle

What's a bottle ? We get it in 20 litre containers, or 4 litre cans.

Originally Posted By: Silk

What's a bottle ? ....

Taking a guess, a quart like in the link. Works out to ~$20/qt. If a jug/gallon thinking OP have no issue. http://carkart.com/index.php?route=produ...CFZ1MDQodLvQFVg Similarly priced on ebay and other places.

At $19/qt, in this case I can understand the OP looking for an alternative. Even Honda HCF-2 can be found for half that on ebay. Since the Castrol spec sheet posted, Valvoline CVT spec sheet posted HERE. Fwiw, good reviews on Amazon including a recent Mitsu Outlander review with significant miles.

Originally Posted By: Silk

What's a bottle ? We get it in 20 litre containers, or 4 litre cans.

one quart.

Does any one know the capacity for a drain from my outlander sport 2015?

$19 per qt (or litre) for their fluid doesn't surprise me. The Dual-Clutch fluid was also $19 per quart and the Lancer Ralliart took 8 qts plus $120 for the filter. Again, I'd go Valvoline or Castrol. Maybe Pentosin has an alternative for CVT as well. Advance Auto carries it along with the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back