Walmart Synthetic cheaper than Napa - any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like I jumped too soon on the Napa, because Walmart.com lists their brand at $13.40/jug (2.70 a quart)

So is the Supertech Synthetic equal to the Napa synthetic?

I prefer the Napa which is a clone of Valvoline Synthetic. A recent thread on here asked which one was preferred and everyone I believe said Napa.

Originally Posted By: sir1900
If you are running a 5k OCI, it won't make a difference which one you choose to go with.

+1

Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
super tech cheap oil use napa oil.

Both are cheap and meet the same specs. Meaning nearly equal performance in the same grade. It really does not matter which one the customer uses.

nothing wrong with ST syn, which is made by WPP, but Napa Synthetic is better since it's rebranded Synpower. Plus, you get the easy-to-pour single quart bottles, and if you only have a little bit left over, it stays in a smaller bottle not a big jug
smile.gif

I have been running Supertech Synthetic on my Ford Freestyle for years. I currently do 10k OCI. I have sent a few samples to Blackstone, and they suggested 12k OCI. I have stayed with 10k because it's much easier to look at the dash and know when I need an oil change.

NO, NO, and NO. Napa oil IS NOT rebranded Synpower. Additive packages are way different. Not even a watered down version of Synpower. BUT it is very close to the additive package of the conventional Valvoline oil. So it is basically a white bottle Valvoline oil with a slightly better base stocks, just enough to call it synthetic. Based on this - I will take SuperTech Synthetic ANY DAY over Napa Synthetic. Why? Because it is proven to go the distance with ease. Heck! even the conventional SuperTech oil was run out to 15k miles with a stellar UOA by "dnewton" on this forum! I have seen many SuperTech Synthetic UOAs that show same or better results overall against oils such as Castrol Edge, Mobil 1, and different boutique oils.

SuperTech is a VERY good oil, that is luckily available at such a low price. UOAs and testimonials on this forum back it up big time. You are more than welcome to use the search function through BITOG or Google.

Originally Posted By: Vlad_the_Russian
NO, NO, and NO. Napa oil IS NOT rebranded Synpower. Additive packages are way different. Not even a watered down version of Synpower. BUT it is very close to the additive package of the conventional Valvoline oil. So it is basically a white bottle Valvoline oil with a slightly better base stocks, just enough to call it synthetic. Based on this - I will take SuperTech Synthetic ANY DAY over Napa Synthetic. Why? Because it is proven to go the distance with ease. Heck! even the conventional SuperTech oil was run out to 15k miles with a stellar UOA by "dnewton" on this forum! I have seen many SuperTech Synthetic UOAs that show same or better results overall against oils such as Castrol Edge, Mobil 1, and different boutique oils.

SuperTech is a VERY good oil, that is luckily available at such a low price. UOAs and testimonials on this forum back it up big time. You are more than welcome to use the search function through BITOG or Google.
Obviously you have done no research to back up your claims. SynPower and Napa Synthetic are quite similar.

Here's the details below

20u21dd.png

28s8nj9.png

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
SynPower and Napa Synthetic are quite similar.

Yes, similar enough to be identical within the margin of error, if all we had were VOAs and didn't trust the word of the formulators.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
SynPower and Napa Synthetic are quite similar.

Yes, similar enough to be identical within the margin of error, if all we had were VOAs and didn't trust the word of the formulators.

thumbsup2.gif
I agree with Garak and Nick1994.

To the OP: Either one will be perfectly fine. There's nothing to be overthinking about here. You can't go wrong with either of these oils. I prefer NAPA Syn where it's made by Ashland/Valvoline and is close to Valvoline SynPower, but that's just my preference. I would use Supertech Syn also.

I would go w ST because it's less expensive. If they cost the same, I would go with the store that is closer to me. In this case, Walmart is by about 7-8 miles.

My last oil change I chose the SuperTech Synthetic 5W-30 in the quart bottles. It was the first time I saw that it was Dexos approved and the price was $3.77 a quart. It is doing a fine job it looks like as I travel 30 miles one way into Dallas for work every day and it is stop and go for a lot of those miles. I do 5k OCI but not afraid to go to 7500 OCI if need be. I think both NAPA and SuperTech utilize Sodium for cleaning the engin but others here with more knowlede can tell you if that is the true purpose or not. I can just say that both seem to be capable oils and the use of Sodium as a detergent by some companies and not by others has been discussed on this board and something you might want to consider.

NAPA syn has round about the same calcium and sodium levels as Synpower per the VOA that was done recently, and posted on this site.

I prefer the NAPA myself because I trust Valvoline, and 12 quart cases stack nice and neat into one corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back