15W-50 recommended for Chevy racing

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.racingjunk.com/news/2014/05/2...rolet-corvette/ "Chevrolet also named Mobil 1 5W-30, which meets or exceed the GM dexos1® specifications, as the recommended service fill for all Corvette models on the street, while 15W-50 is recommended for on-track and high-performance applications."

"“15W50 oil is one of the original racing oils,” says Roger Hood, US Motorsports Technical Advisory, “We’ve been advocating for years for folks to take the 5W30 out and put the race oil in.” To solidify their alliance, and show how committed they are to this performance, as of this factory roll out, the suggestion will now be in the Corvette owners manual."

540RAT rates this oil very poorly (LOL!)
(149) 15W50 Mobil 1, API SN synthetic = 70,235 psi
sick.gif

The red cap was the "good stuff" I've read. How well was the 15W50 Extended Performance compared to the original red cap?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
The red cap was the "good stuff" I've read. How well was the 15W50 Extended Performance compared to the original red cap?

I had several quarts of the red cap stuff with the SJ/SH. Without a car to use it for anymore I've been using it for flushing oil. Now down to the last half quart.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX

I had several quarts of the red cap stuff with the SJ/SH. Without a car to use it for anymore I've been using it for flushing oil. Now down to the last half quart.

How much do you use to flush each time?

Probably when hot the 5w-30 leaks out of the bearings too fast and the oil film / wedge isn't thick enough to protect.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Originally Posted By: 69GTX

How much do you use to flush each time?

As I recall about 1/2 a quart to flush the oil pan a bit during an oil change. But haven't done it at all in the past year or more. I like the oils I currently use and really don't want to mix in anything else. The other alternative was to take it up to the recycling center and dump it in their tank.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Probably when hot the 5w-30 leaks out of the bearings too fast and the oil film / wedge isn't thick enough to protect.

It's not a matter of the oil "leaking out of the bearings too fast" (doesn't actually happen), it's a matter of bearing oil film thickness as a function of oil viscosity.

Mobil 1 15w50 is a great oil, in the old red cap form or even still in the current silver cap form, 540 RAT's tests are definetly not the golden standard that any good oil should meet...

I have a friend who races a TVR 3000M, same engine as in my Capri but with 250 Hp and triple weber carbs, he only uses M1 15W50 Racing 4T motorcycle oil, he has shown me pictures of the engine having been stripped down after several seasons of racing and there was no abnormal wear, and everything was impecable, the car is thrashed at WOT on hot summer days where it can get to 100F here, i think he changed the oil every few races ( no more than a few months ).

I think it uses Group IV and V base stocks instead of the "regular" M1 15W50 which is a mix of Group III and Group IV? it also has more Zinc and Phos i think between 1300-1600ppm, and no Friction Modifiers ofcourse being a MC oil.

The MC oil is a completely different animal from the MC oil.

Silver cap will not cause any abnormal wear on engine damage when monitored or changed frequently. The oil is just a complete knock-down. Any application that you might think to use it for will shear it to pieces in short order.

It's not a victim of it being a "bad" oil. It's a victim of most of its competitors offering a superior product. M1 15-50 is the last 50 I would put in anything, because it is the least durable 50 synthetic on the market.

Dumped before it shears down to a 30, and it's fine.

At the end of the day, people in the know are always going to know that M1 15w50 is a bait-and-switch. Mobil could have made a product just as good or better, but made some watered-down Bull instead. Not trying to hear that. As I said, there are too many oil makers who actually try to make a superior 50 to deal with one that's just being lazy about the whole thing.

My information does not comes from 540Rat. It comes from seeing way too many UOA's done by myself and others where M1 15-50 turned into a 30, where too many other 50's would have held for twice the OCI. It's just a cut-rate knockoff of what used to be a really good oil.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
The MC oil is a completely different animal from the MC oil.

Silver cap will not cause any abnormal wear on engine damage when monitored or changed frequently. The oil is just a complete knock-down. Any application that you might think to use it for will shear it to pieces in short order.

It's not a victim of it being a "bad" oil. It's a victim of most of its competitors offering a superior product. M1 15-50 is the last 50 I would put in anything, because it is the least durable 50 synthetic on the market.

Dumped before it shears down to a 30, and it's fine.

At the end of the day, people in the know are always going to know that M1 15w50 is a bait-and-switch. Mobil could have made a product just as good or better, but made some watered-down Bull instead. Not trying to hear that. As I said, there are too many oil makers who actually try to make a superior 50 to deal with one that's just being lazy about the whole thing.

My information does not comes from 540Rat. It comes from seeing way too many UOA's done by myself and others where M1 15-50 turned into a 30, where too many other 50's would have held for twice the OCI. It's just a cut-rate knockoff of what used to be a really good oil.

Any links to those M1 15W-50 UOAs? I've had great luck w M1 15W-50 in my race cars & tow vehicle, but it was the Red cap stuff.

I wish Costco had better selection. They have xW-20 or xW-30 and no 40s or 50s in Mobil. So is it true the 15W-50 uses Group 4/5 bases? Or has it switched to Group 3 oil from the ground?
Quote:
You sir, are the repost king.
38.gif

Fixed that for ya
wink.gif
I like this one best:
25.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back