2017 Subaru Forester oil question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2017 Subaru Forester non-turbo. The manual says to run 0w-20 synthetic in the engine. I am still in the break in stage and have around 1500 miles on it now. I also have a 2004 Toyota Highlander and 2006 GMC 6.0 2500 truck. Both vehicles run 5w-30 dino. I have no oil loss issues with either vehicle.

My question...After the break in and a couple future oil changes on the Forester using 0w-20 synthetic...would it be OK to run the same oil grade as my two other vehicles? 5w-30? Is there something new about these engines that requires 0w-20?

Opinions?

I was looking at a new Forester last year buy the oil consumption problems reported on the forums along with the class action lawsuit scared me far far away from it. I personally would use manufacturer recs until it is out of warranty just in case yours ends up needing warranty work.

If it is an oil burner, you're going to want to make sure you can provide receipts that you used the correct oil grade. Unlikely they will do anything about it as that seems to be what most manufacturers do with oil burners, but you don't want to put yourself at a disadvantage from using the "wrong" oil. And, in my experience, having an oil burner right from the factory due to a ring seat issue, doesn't matter what you run, it's going to burn a ton of oil regardless.

I'd run the 0w-20 out to the factory set interval. Maybe in 20K miles when you are confident and sure that this engine is not an oil burner, you can switch to whatever you want without worry.

My 2015 Outback has 20K miles and I've only used 0w-20 synthetic. But the car is used mostly in NC and FL and almost never sees below freezing temperatures (maybe like yours in SC). For my next OC in April I'll be using some of my 5w-20 synthetic stash. I'm anticipating a more quiet running motor. But stretching to 5w-30 is likely too much. Only the Subaru 6 cylinders call for that viscosity.

Besides staying with the manufacturer reco , you might want to read the owners manual very carefully for break-in driving procedures. That oil burn issue is real. Protect yourself with receipts and procedures.

Prior Subaru owner here.

You'll want receipts for the correct oil in case something happens down the road.

However, 5w-30 will do no harm.

Mate at work just bought a new 2.5 L Forester too, here in Australia they say use 5W30 in those engines.

Last edited:
Very interesting replies, guys!

The reason I wanted to know about running 5w-30 in it is that I already have a good stash of that weight oil stored away. When it goes on sale I get it. And that's what my other vehicles run on.

But that is good advise you guys gave about warranty and saving receipts. I will buy the 0w-20 and run it on that weight to make sure there are no oil burn problems. If not, I will use my stash.

Good advise you guys.

Dave

Originally Posted By: Redbug
I have a 2017 Subaru Forester non-turbo. The manual says to run 0w-20 synthetic in the engine. I am still in the break in stage and have around 1500 miles on it now. I also have a 2004 Toyota Highlander and 2006 GMC 6.0 2500 truck. Both vehicles run 5w-30 dino. I have no oil loss issues with either vehicle.

My question...After the break in and a couple future oil changes on the Forester using 0w-20 synthetic...would it be OK to run the same oil grade as my two other vehicles? 5w-30? Is there something new about these engines that requires 0w-20?

Opinions?

I'm over 111,000 miles in my Subaru using 20 weight with no burning or leaks so I don't need heavier oil.

Originally Posted By: 6starprez

Opinions?

I'm over 111,000 miles in my Subaru using 20 weight with no burning or leaks so I don't need heavier oil.

What year may I ask?

Good choice staying within warranty. I had lots of non warranty problems on my 2014. I finally just traded it and bought another F150.

Originally Posted By: 6starprez

Opinions?

What year may I ask?

2012 Impreza. I used 5W-30 once during the summer last year and couldn't really tell the difference otherwise. After that I went back to the 20 weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back