Wheel bearing noise while braking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
I've got a noise when braking in my Jeep. It's been doing it for a while, but I've always shrugged it off as the tires making noise when braking. But now that I think of it, no vehicle I've ever driven with BFG All Terrains makes noise when braking. It almost sounds like a scrubbing sound, hard to describe. Brakes are new, even did it with the old ones.

When grabbing the top of the tire and pushing in and out I think I can feel some play. Could be upper ball joints though but I doubt it, I'll have to have my brother help me shake the tire and I can look at it.

So, can wheel bearings make noise while braking?

They might be making noise while driving, but it's a Jeep so it isn't exactly quiet going down the road anyways.

Sounds more like a brake problem than wheel bearing. Try jacking up the car and spinning the wheels if possible as a bad bearing is obvious when you compare it to the opposite wheel.

In safety terms it's a real good idea to visit the nearest Iffystop shop to get the car properly inspected, which will not cost much, as many suspension, steering and brake system faults are difficult to figure out without lifting the car and removing the wheels.

You can feel them vibrating while braking. My vote is a bad hub bearing.

There is no way to take the assembly apart since they are sealed units. Moog parts are about $100 with a lifetime warranty. I am personally a Mopar fan with these though.

FYI, it should be (3) 12 point 13mm bolts. Many folks say its a 1/2", but that just isn't the case.

Torque them evenly for re-installation too. That'll prematurely kill it if you don't.

Get the vehicle (wheel) safely off the ground and supported.

Grab the bottom and top of the wheel and try to vertically wiggle it.

If there is play, your bearing(s) need replacement. I DON'T even like the sound of this guy's voice, and he puts his arm/hand under there without so much as a jack stand in place, but he also discusses noise while braking. I DO like his suggestion to replace them in pairs. My 13mm bolts are torqued to 70 ft. lbs., but that's GM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqFSRXA_RQA

It does now have a blown shock on the front left, but that happened this last weekend. It's been making this noise for a little while now.

When jacked up, I don't feel any play when wiggling.

Only with the wheels on the ground and grabbing the top of the tire and rocking in and out do I feel a little play

Is it just the tire moving on the bead? You can have a bad bearing without play though.

My XJ was making some interesting scraping noises and it was the front brakes, they were shot. Take the brakes off and spin the wheel.

I didn't realize the bearings were so easy to change.

Just ordered new Timken hub assemblies and Monroe Severe Service shocks. $300 later, they'll be here next week.

I'll report back the results

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I didn't realize the bearings were so easy to change.

Just ordered new Timken hub assemblies and Monroe Severe Service shocks. $300 later, they'll be here next week.

I'll report back the results

+1 That was where I was going to lean for this. As mentioned already, make sure to torque to the correct settings for the hubs. I have seen so many burned because somebody gives it heck with an impact gun

To help others with Google searching in the future, I'll update this thread.

Turns out it was bad front axle differential bearings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back