Rockauto customer service for returns?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a part that simply don't fit (a parking brake cable) but that is not the point.

It is a $12 part so it is not the end of the world.

You go on their site and answer questions. They go down the line of asking you your make and model and at the end they say manufactures can substitute parts of other companies but it will never affect fitment or function. Rockauto believes all the aftermarket parts they sell are the ultimate quality and perfect.

The last question was "Was it installed?"

I said yes, because honestly I hook up the actuator last, and I determined it will not go onto the lever even with a bit of force. I measured the OEM and another aftermarket and they both have longer slots. Should I have checked the ends first? Visually it is impossible to tell. I also don't want to modify parts.

When I answered yes, they just said the item isn't returnable, not even a sorry. There is no option now to return, but "authorized" is listed on the item grid, but the part is listed at the bottom as "non-returnable"

I'm not sure what that means, and I still have to call(have to track down a number), but they seem to have a pretty bizarre return policy.

Last edited:
I heard their customer service and return policy isn't the greatest. I bought some sway bar bushings and ended up returning it. Did it online with the printable return slip. I like purchasing from rockauto but only if I absolutely know I need the part. Sorry for your troubles.

I returned a catalytic converter that had been installed and used for about a week. The flange was too big and would not seal. I had no issues with the return. I had to pay for the new one (plus shipping which I was not real happy about) and when the new one came in, I returned the old one (they paid shipping) and they credited my account for it.

I did it all through e-mail ([email protected]), never called them.

I also had an intake manifold issue, pretty much the same deal, was in use for about a month, had a vacuum leak in it and needed to be replaced.

But these are both defective parts, not a part that did not fit, and both were started with their automated system.

Why not call them? I have much better luck speaking with a person. If you're not happy with the outcome and feel you're right you can always dispute the charge with your credit card company. That works quite well.

Call or email them. I've used the email address ([email protected]) on a return before with no real issues on a warranty item.

Look at this way: The automated system can handle the easy stuff. Things that require an explanation need a conversation to get it figured out...

I've only had to return one item to them. It was a tie rod end. When I opened the package it was a used part that someone else had returned.

I guess I shouldn't say I "returned" it, because when I called they just shipped me a new one and told me to throw the old one in the trash.

I had a tie rod end come in, that was obviously visually incorrect. I called them to tell them so I could return it for the correct item. They told me to keep the item I had until further notice and sent me out the correct item free of charge. I asked them how long further notice was and they said They may or may not want it back. If I don't receive an email within two weeks to return it, then it is mine to keep. Never received that email and ended up selling the part to someone else a year or so later.

Originally Posted By: ford46guy

I said yes, because honestly I hook up the actuator last, and I determined it will not go onto the lever even with a bit of force. I measured the OEM and another aftermarket and they both have longer slots. Should I have checked the ends first? Visually it is impossible to tell. I also don't want to modify parts.

When I answered yes, they just said the item isn't returnable, not even a sorry. There is no option now to return, but "authorized" is listed on the item grid, but the part is listed at the bottom as "non-returnable"

I think you should have answered that question with a big, fat, "NO". I'm sure they mean installed and used for a period of time. If it doesn't fit then it wasn't installed and used.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: ford46guy

I think you should have answered that question with a big, fat, "NO". I'm sure they mean installed and used for a period of time. If it doesn't fit then it wasn't installed and used.

That's a good point.
___

I personally have had nothing but great experiences with them.

1.) Bought small order of closeout oil filters and one was dented. I did the online channels and it was refunded to me.

2.) Bought a Mann air filter for her car. ~$15. The filter arrived with a huge dent and they sent me another one for free.

3. ) Bought a blower motor that arrived with a cracked squirrel cage. That was a bit more tedious, but they wanted me to re-order the part. Once that came in, they wanted me to return the damaged part under the newest order number. Yeah I had an extra expense sitting on my CC for a while, but that wasn't a huge deal to me. I was refunded 100%.

Just recently, I had to buy a fuel pump for her car. They beat my go to car parts place by about $45 and Amazon by about $20. I have no complaints about them.

Their clearance'd filters are a [censored] shoot though. Dad bout some Fram PH8A's for his Datsun (among other things) and they turned out to be 13 years old. They'll go on an engine we are eventually going to get running, but nothing more than that.

Ok, I was busy today but just called them a while ago. They actually sounded very nice.

They asked for pics, sent them in, I will report back what happens.

I buy a lot of stuff from them and advance auto.

Their website makes it seem like they are totally automated.

Bought a Honda PW regulator assembly from them a few years back.
Installed it and buttoned everything back up and it did nada.
Suspected the switch, so I removed the door panel again (not that hard) and rigged up the old one to the switch. It was getting power, so the new assembly had to be the problem.
Emailed Rock, got a return label back and they shipped the new part, which worked just fine.
So, my one return experience with Rock was great.

I agree to call them and plead your case, but if it doesn't fit, call your credit card company and plead your case with them.

If Rock shipped what the OP ordered and can show that the item was delivered, his credit card issuer isn't going to do anything about it.
The fit dispute is going to remain between him and Rock.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
If Rock shipped what the OP ordered and can show that the item was delivered, his credit card issuer isn't going to do anything about it.
The fit dispute is going to remain between him and Rock.

This isn't necessarily true. Citi is usually good about disputes and will open disputes and return money for items that aren't as described. I have personally done this once or twice this year.

Well I have to say they have excellent customer service. They saw the pics and even apologized, told me to discard the cable and refunded.

I also do web development, I got a bit miffed over the way the site handled returns - so therefore I posted this. Behind the scenes they do a great job.

Lately I've been getting most things the next day from a nearby warehouse, so I will be using them for everything. Even more convenient than Advance Auto.

I am currently working with RockAuto on a "return" because the part did not fit. While I understand that they are trying to work with the manufacturer (who also happens to be the OES) on doing their due diligence, the situation has escalated into one where I'm being asked to prove (using measurements, not just pictures) that the part is truly incorrect for the application. I understand where Rockauto is coming from, and if I was the part mfg I would be glad that someone from the field is helping me understand why a part isn't working, but for the customer...this has turned into a royal pain for a $30 part. Especially for someone like me who orders hundreds of $$ of parts every month and I have a very very low return rate for "parts that do not fit."

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I am currently working with RockAuto on a "return" because the part did not fit. While I understand that they are trying to work with the manufacturer (who also happens to be the OES) on doing their due diligence, the situation has escalated into one where I'm being asked to prove (using measurements, not just pictures) that the part is truly incorrect for the application. I understand where Rockauto is coming from, and if I was the part mfg I would be glad that someone from the field is helping me understand why a part isn't working, but for the customer...this has turned into a royal pain for a $30 part. Especially for someone like me who orders hundreds of $$ of parts every month and I have a very very low return rate for "parts that do not fit."

I'm wondering if it may boil down to the manufacturer and the agreements they have. Some products may have a percentage allocated for issues.
Rockauto never loses money, they charge the defect back to the Manufacturer.

Some are probably very liberal, others may give RA a hard time until they have definitive proof of a defect. In your case most people would be tempted to write a 1 star review. They should give you some compensation for that, maybe a gift card. You aren't employed by RA or the Mfr.

Last edited:
I once had to return an AC condenser to Rockauto. The one I got was supposedly the correct part number, and it did look almost identical to my old one. The only difference was it had no brackets attached to it, so there was no way to bolt it to the radiator support. My old condesner did not have removable brackets to transfer to the new one. I went through the online return process and Rockauto wanted me to pay return shipping. I called them up and complained and they paid the return shipping with no hassle.

I have found Rock Auto great for getting parts shipped to the UK. I pay maybe two or three times what I might pay in a US auto parts store but the total cost including shipping and taxes is quoted to me before I have to commit to purchasing. Also they will warn me if something may be subject to extra charges from UK Revenue & Customs, normally for big ticket items. Never had an issue, and people I know who have had a problem tell me RA sorted the issues out in a reasonable and timely manner.

So I think Rock Auto are good to do business with. Not perfect, no business like theirs can ever be, but I am happy to keep dealing with them.

Claud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back