MTD Snowblower bogging down under load

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 14 year old MTD 2 stage snowblower that I did some work to in the off season (replaced carb, fuel lines, spark plugs, belts and cosmetic work). The snowblower starts right up and seems to run very well with a lot of power in idle and under very light snow. As soon as I get into a couple inches of snow (this past weekend was very dry and light) the snowblower bogs down and I have to let off the throttle to let the thrower catch up so it does not bog down and die. I do plan on lubricating the discharge chute tonight to eliminate that as a culprit but I am wondering if anyone can offer tuning advice for the machine to be more efficient in deeper snow. This problem is especially frustrating at the bottom of the driveway after the plow comes through. Any advice is so greatly appreciated.

Joe in Wisconsin

Governor not adjusted properly? Or sticking? I'd override it and see if the motor can actually make power and if not, something probably isn't right with your carb.

Partially plugged or wrong main jet? Have you tried giving it a bit of choke when it is bogging down to see if that improves the speed as that helps give it some extra fuel but going to far blocks the intake going backwards. Ballager is correct to check the float levels too. I am going to have to chase my blower this PM when it gets above zero. Broke the pull start cord time before last but still have the electric start but have to hope the dog didn't leave something to stop the unit and just park it by the power pole till I can get the stove overhaul project out of the garage where there is heat.

Last edited:
Make sure the head bolts are tight and the muffler is clear.

Last edited:
Some good answers, I'd start with the carb since you said you replaced it.

Which kind of carb is it?

All above are good possibilities, BUT, I still think it is an improperly working governor. Linkage binding, or hooked wrong possibly.

I've had this problem. Add tension to the impeller belt. Then google "snowblower impeller kit". I made my own kit and it throws faster and further than when new 15 years ago.

does this carb have the power adjusting screwing on the bottom of the carb. ?? if it does i'm willing to bet its out of adjustment.

Thank you guys for all of the great answers and suggestions. I will work on a few of these adjustments tonight and tomorrow in preparation for the next round of snow coming Friday and hopefully that all helps. A buddy of mine who works with small engines quite a bit replaced the carburetor but he has since moved from the area.

I don't know a TON ABOUT CARBURETORS BUT WILL WATCH A FEW VIDEOS ON Adjusting one to the proper settings.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Throw it away and get an electric snow blower.

I assume this is a joke
smile.gif
where I am at in WI we average almost 60 inches of snow a winter. not a chance of ever getting an electric snowblower.

Originally Posted By: hemitom
does this carb have the power adjusting screwing on the bottom of the carb. ?? if it does i'm willing to bet its out of adjustment.

yes, it does have the screw on the bottom.

It does have the adjusting screw on the bottom of the carb. will mess with this over the next couple days as well.

Originally Posted By: MuskyJoe

It does have the adjusting screw on the bottom of the carb. will mess with this over the next couple days as well.

Not to question your competency or intelligence, but it isn't the "screw" on the bottom of the carb bowl that's used to drain fuel, right?

I likely have the same snow thrower as you do (mine is 17 years old) and I just went through a complete rebuild this past summer. I'd look at the governor too just to make sure it is linked up correctly.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: MuskyJoe

Not to question your competency or intelligence, but it isn't the "screw" on the bottom of the carb bowl that's used to drain fuel, right?

I likely have the same snow thrower as you do (mine is 17 years old) and I just went through a complete rebuild this past summer. I'd look at the governor too just to make sure it is linked up correctly.

No some older machines have a power adjusting screw on the bottom of the float bowl uasually bogging under load can be fixed by adjusting the screw. You are correct most new blowers have the drain fixed to the float bowl .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back