Archoil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried searching on this and nothing came up. I'm sure its been discussed in here before!

Anyway, this stuff is praised in the Ford Powerstroke community as a killer additive for stiction and overall better running engine. I just dumped a 16oz bottle in my 05 PSD to help some with cold starts and mostly as a preventative to future issues. My truck just turned over 100k miles and runs perfect so I doubt I'll notice much but figured it can't hurt.

Any of you guys heard of it? used it with good/bad results?

When VW sponsored the research required to make a good oil additive, it appears Liqui Moly might have lost the results (R&D rumour) about just how good a ceramic suspension of Boron Nitride is when added to an engine oil.
Yeabut, the Germans might shout, Ceratec also contains MoS2, so it's a 2 shot additive. Not seen a VOA of Archoil, I don't think it has any other active ingrediant other than BN.

Anyone got a VOA and what does it cost in comparison with Ceratec ??

PS: Arch oil contains hBN (Hex form of BN, same as Cery), WS2 (Tungsten Disulphide) and some other advanced stuff their web site does not list.
It seems to cost 40 usd (Free portage in the US), which is around double Ceratec!

Last edited:
Pity you did not get a UOA of the last OCI before trying this additive!

If there is any left in the can, can you please get a VOA done at Blackstone Lab ??

The guy on Powerstrokehelp.com pushes both the Archoil oil additive and diesel fuel additive.

I use Shell Rotella T6 in my Powerstroke and I assume if Shell felt boron was beneficial they would add some. It's also possible the boron would interfere with other additives that are already in the oil.

As for the diesel fuel additive from Archoil, you add so little I have a hard time believing it does any good.

But those are thoughts from my logical mind, not any experimentation.

Before the guy from Powerstrokehelp.com was pushing Archoil, he recommended Stanadyne diesel fuel additive.

Shell use normal Boron based additives, BUT Boron Nitride in hex form is too expensive and only a few companies can mill a fine enough form for it to stay in suspension.

It's a good alternative AW to Zinc based add's, although I've not seen how well it compares with Ti as an alternative.

Here is my own summary of some of the oil additives I researched (and I posted in another forum). Archoil uses nano size particles according to their literature. Your milage may vary:

> Liqui Moly Ceratec (Boron Nitride based in mineral oil base, about $25 per oil change). Based on my research so far Ceratec also has moly. Lasts one oil change based on email from Liqui Moly tech department.
> Xenum VX500 ('Ceratec on steroids' in ester base oil, hard to get in the US, expensive, ~$70 shipped to the US via eBay). Xenum | VX500 - Xenum Last approx. 30K miles according to their literature.
> Archoil 9100 (also boron nitride based in ester oil base, relatively expensive, popular in the Powerstroke trucks). A bottle that cost around $42 (16 oz) lasts at least for three oil changes assuming four quart sump capacity.
> Archoil 9200 (Tungsten disulfide based in ester base oil, expensive, ~$50). More heat resistant than MoS2 and perhaps better protection for wear (coefficient of friction = 0.03). Change every other OCI for non-racing cars.
> Archoil 9300 (apparently the ultimate ceramic friction modifier with lowest coefficient of friction(0.003), hard to get and expensive, $70). More available in Europe than in the US even though the company is based in the US. Go to AR9000 Friction Modifiers | Archoil for descriptions and product Tech Sheet. Lasts approx. 50K miles according to their literature.

Of course the list above is based on my own research of 'less snake oil additives' and it is non-inclusive.

I used Ceratec in a DI Hyundai with Pennzoil Synthetic at a 1/3 recommended dosage and boron and moly were in the 400ppm plus. It ran well and have a uoa of using it. Archoil had my attention as I seen it on Jay Leno's Garage show. It probably works similarly to LM Ceratec.

I use Archoil 9100 in my powerstroke 6.7. I have a UOA with it (posted on here). It definitely strengthend the oil's TBN. Not sure on wear figures. I started using it to provide extra protection for the turbo and I don't extend OCIs. Perhaps I am wasting my money...but I do feel the truck runs smoother...but that I cannot provide proof of that. The DOE study is interesting...Blackstone mentioned they haven't seen it reduce wear in UOAs...but running it doesn't seem to hurt. YMMV

In the UOA section on here, I posted Rotella T6 UOAs in my 6.7 Powerstroke, with and without Archoil oil additive. You can see that there was less wear when NOT using Archoil. Doubt I'll use it again.

You can almost guarantee the after market products [snake oils] at best are a waste of money.

You can almost guarantee the after market products [snake oils] at best are a waste of money.

Originally Posted By: CT8

Originally Posted By: CT8

So true it was worth saying twice
01.gif

It made a huge difference with the cold starts on my previous 6.0L Powerstroke. I would definitely use if I had another diesel.

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
... My truck just turned over 100k miles and runs perfect so I doubt I'll notice much but figured it can't hurt....

So your truck ran Imperfect before adding this wallet lightener?
smile.gif

Quote:
Have been hearing about it but looks okay. I do think that molygraphene is a much more effective formula in oil additives though.
confused2.gif

How so?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: racin4ds
Tried searching on this and nothing came up. I'm sure its been discussed in here before!

You're kidding, right? I got 200 hits which I suspect is the maximum allowed return.

Try again using the word "archoil".

Originally Posted By: harryberry
Have been hearing about it but looks okay. I do think that molygraphene is a much more effective formula in oil additives though

I'll add to MolaKule's question.

What is molygraphene, what does it do, and how is it a "much more effective formula in oil additives"?

Define "effective". What exactly is it effective at doing compared to other additives?

What is it that is defective that needs correcting by the additive?

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Have been hearing about it but looks okay. I do think that molygraphene is a much more effective formula in oil additives though
What is molygraphene, what does it do, and how is it a "much more effective formula in oil additives"?

He's talking about Everglide. Look it up. Moly-Graphene, not a molecular compound to be more precise, but separate moly and graphene mixed.

What some negative cynics fail to understand is that people are looking for real lower wear numbers using additives oil companies won't touch due to mass market cost. That's all.

Doesn't mean all of them work. Of course not. Most reasonable people concede oil companies won't blend in expensive but higher performing additives.
See posts above about HBN being not popular due to cost concerns.

I know what he's talking about. I was seeing if he did.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Originally Posted By: kschachn

He's talking about Everglide. Look it up. Moly-Graphene, not a molecular compound to be more precise, but separate moly and graphene mixed.

What some negative cynics fail to understand is that people are looking for real lower wear numbers using additives oil companies won't touch due to mass market cost. That's all.

Doesn't mean all of them work. Of course not. Most reasonable people concede oil companies won't blend in expensive but higher performing additives.
See posts above about HBN being not popular due to cost concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back