Engine oil capacity for 2015 5.3 EcoTec GMC Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the oil capacity for this engine? The manual says 8.5 quarts, but there are other posts on the internet stating that the capacity is 8 and that GM has revived the capacity. Thank you.

Easy, put in 8 qts and if it not on the full line on the dipstick, put a little more in. Essentially that is what I do on all my vehicles.

The oil capacity is 8. When I got mine the first two times they put 8.5 and it would be slightly overfilled. The 3rd time they said a bulletin had come out revising to 8. That is just about right.

Originally Posted By: old1
Easy, put in 8 qts and if it not on the full line on the dipstick, put a little more in. Essentially that is what I do on all my vehicles.

too easy

Originally Posted By: Oli20
...The 3rd time they said a bulletin had come out revising to 8. That is just about right.

Indeed.

DATE 05/11/2015
SUBJECT The Engine Oil Capacity – with Oil Filter Has Changed
MODELS 2014 – 2015 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Chevrolet Tahoe, Suburban, Silverado, GMC Yukon, Sierra, Denali Equipped with GEN V V8 Engines - 5.3L RPO L83, 5.3L RPO L8B or 6.2L RPO L86
TO Cadillac, Chevrolet and GMC Dealers
ATTN Parts and Service Director, Parts Manager, Parts Counter Personnel, Service Advisor, Service Manager, Service Technician, and Fleet and Commercial Managers
The Engine Oil Capacity – with Oil Filter for all GEN V, V8 5.3L and 6.2L engines has been reduced from 8.5 quarts to 8.0 quarts.
This change has been implemented in SI and will be reflected in future Owner Manuals.
Thank you for your cooperation.
END OF MESSAGE
GM CUSTOMER CARE & AFTERSALES

Document ID: 3998244
#PIP5231A: Concern of engine oil dipstick indicating an overfill - (Oct 9, 2014)
Subject: Concern of engine oil dipstick indicating an overfill
Models: 2015 Cadillac Escalade 2014-2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Suburban, Tahoe 2014-2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Yukon with engines 5.3L, 6.2L RPO's L83, L86
This PI was superseded to update Recommendation/Instructions. Please discard PIP5231.
The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern
The Engine oil dipstick indicates an overfill when performing a PDI or after an oil and filter change.
Recommendation/Instructions
Typically you will find the dipstick indicates an overfill of 1/2qt of Engine oil.
There is no need to drain the oil at this time, as this concern will not damage the engine nor affect operation.
When it is time for the oil change, fill with the recommended amount of engine oil as specified in SI
SI has been updated with the engine oil (with filter) fill specification of 8 quarts or 7.57 Liters for 5.3L, 6.2L RPO's L83, L86 engines in the models lists above.
Note: The correct “full” mark is the upper dimple and the “add” mark is the lowest bottom dimple on the Engine oil dipstick

Originally Posted By: old1

Ford installed a 4.2 V6 in their F150's 1997-2008. The engine oil capacity, according to the owners manual is 6 qts. with oil filter. I have owned (3) F150's with said engine. Every time I did/do an OCI the dipstick reads halfway between FULL and ADD 1 QT. Ford states that is the correct 6 qt. capacity reading and NOT to add additional oil. Well, you have those people out there that have that very very rare 6.5 qt. oil pan, and they insist on adding that additional extra 1/2 qt. of oil to bring the oil level up to full on the dipstick.
I mean, if the engineers spend millions/billions of $$$ on research and parts, and specify to ONLY put what they specifically say to add, are you smarter than them?
12.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back