New Speed Queen washer....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have bought a few of them over the years for buildings and have one and a dryer from them myself, never had any trouble. You know when they offer a coin box option its not everyday consumer grade stuff.
The direct drive all metal gear transmission on these things and the low noise/vibration they operate at makes a world of difference.

It seems to me that the new, high tech washers, dryers, refrigerators etc....are far less reliable (and less durable) than older stuff. My co-workers complain about them all the time.

My fridge is a Maytag that's approx. 17 years old and aside from vacuuming dust from the motor occasionally (like every 2 years) it has never been serviced and still works great.
My washing machine is a top loading Kenmore that's over 20 years old and is used nearly every day....I changed the transmission coupling in 2006 or 2007 and it's been fine ever since.
My natural gas dryer is also about 20 years old but isn't used as much as the washer because we line dry in good weather.

Maybe I'll buy a Speed Queen next time around, but I'm good for now....

When I was trouble shooting a freezer (Electrolux) the internet was loaded with PLC (electronic cards) failures ...
So took a stab at one from eBay and that was indeed the problem ...

We have had our Speed Queen for 5 years. We had a Whirlpool front load before this. The Speed Queen by far gets our clothes cleaner. My wife missed our old Whirlpool/RCA that we had. She likes to be able to "soak" the whites over night and then finish up in the morning. She has said she will never go back to a front load.

We've got one at work to wash our FRC clothing. We've had it 2-3yrs. It takes a beating several times a day, 365 days/year. Any idea how much water they use per average load? That's the reason we've had our LG front load for the past 8-9yrs. Low water use. We're on an old septic system and have a family of 6. It's great front loaders don't use much water, but it does reduce their effectiveness.

DV: Cheers.

I still use a US-made Whirlpool top-loader and its companion dryer, I bought new in 1990. Frankly, I'm amazed at how long it takes "modern" appliances to finish a cycle. Second, the high price one pays for such a "timely" experience.

I don't get it......

The most absurd argument I've heard justifying the expense are the "water savings"....from those who buy bottled water rather than drink it out of the tap. Excuse me???

Wash on......

Well.. for me it's more about reducing what I put down the drain than saving water. My "city water" is cheap. Replacing the septic isn't.

Originally Posted By: JTK
We've got one at work to wash our FRC clothing. We've had it 2-3yrs. It takes a beating several times a day, 365 days/year. Any idea how much water they use per average load? That's the reason we've had our LG front load for the past 8-9yrs. Low water use. We're on an old septic system and have a family of 6. It's great front loaders don't use much water, but it does reduce their effectiveness.

Compared to my top-load Kenmore, my mother's front-loader does a better job washing a larger load, with half the water and one-eigth the detergent. When/if I replace it, it will be with a HE front loader.

Well.. for me it's more about reducing what I put down the drain than saving water. My "city water" is cheap. Replacing the septic isn't.

I'm on septic too..original tank & field...for 34yrs now.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver

Mine is 44yrs/old. Our last home's septic made it 55yrs. I'm hoping to keep the streak going.

Water is cheapo, septic's are not!

Originally Posted By: Bluestream

Water is cheapo, septic's are not!

I live in an area with poor drainage... ledge close to the surface + bedrock outcrops. Neighbor spent 22K putting in a new engineered septic which involved adding top soil to the lot... That was over 10 years ago. My septic is over 60 years old.

Sewers came in this year and I gladly hooked up.

Our water is metered, so I've gone to high efficiency everything now. We pay for water and subsequently sewer. Separate charges. So the more water you use, the more of both you pay. Given the absolutely mental electricity prices we are already paying, I'm conserving anywhere I can.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
how quiet are the speed queen washers?

No better or worse than any top loader. Ourse is in the basement though.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Our water is metered, so I've gone to high efficiency everything now. We pay for water and subsequently sewer. Separate charges. So the more water you use, the more of both you pay.

Is that unusual for Canada? It's fairly common in the US.

Enjoy!

Our 6 year old Electrolux front-loader and electric dryer do a good job. Using high-quality detergent helps greatly. My water/sewer is cheap, but electricity is expensive. So using less electricity matters to me.

What I expensively had to learn was that front-loaders are very sensitive to the environment around them. Keeping a stable temperature and humidity really do help the large-capacity ones to live a long life. Unconditioned spaces and large-capacity front-loaders don't mix too well.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Our water is metered, so I've gone to high efficiency everything now. We pay for water and subsequently sewer. Separate charges. So the more water you use, the more of both you pay.

Is that unusual for Canada? It's fairly common in the US.

It is relatively new. We used to pay a static fee of around $35 for each service (I think it was actually $35 for water, $32 for sewer) so you could use however much you wanted and always paid the same. Electricity was flat-rate billed as well with it being 5.8 cents per KWh as recently as 2010. Since the Green Energy boondoggle, we're now on metered water, paying for every cubic meter. When I had a toilet that got stuck running, and I was travelling and didn't know (and my wife didn't know how to fix it or see it as an issue) our bill was close to $800.00. We've also moved to TOU billing for electricity with the cheapest tier at 8.8 cents per KWh with mid-peak at 12.2 and on-peak at 18. On top of that we pay delivery and of course tax. This will soon be compounded with a carbon tax, affecting both electricity and natural gas, propane, oil....etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back