How to clean camshafts before installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I had my camshafts out to get a linish(?) done to them as there were some stains from the engine not starting for many years.

Anyway, I assume they polished some metal off and hence I need to clean the cams before installation.

How would I clean them?
What would I use?

Please note I don't have a parts washer or anything like that.

The cam place told me to clean them with white spirit but I am not sure if I can use cloth to wipe them or not?

I would assume brake cleaner should do the job but I am not sure and as I am concerned of introducing contaminants into the inside of the engine I wanted to do it right.

You can use whatever you like as long as it is clean, isn't abrasive and doesn't shed large particles.

I use a lot of toilet paper/paper towels when I do anything with engine internals. They may shed a few cellulose fibres, but as long as these aren't big enough to be potential oil-passage blockers, I don't worry about them.

Of course oil or grease it when re-installing. There are special assembly lubes, which tend to feature molybdenum, and even special camshaft lubes, though I'd be very surprised if you can get them in Taiwan.

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products.php?id_products=109

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search/Assembly+Lube+%26+Valve+Compound/N0408/C0139.oap

If you can't/won't get those, but wan't something heavier/more persistent(?) than oil, some people use vaseline, which allegedly disperses OK in the oil.

Last edited:
I just use brake cleaner and blow it off with compressed air or wipe it with a lint free cloth. This cam will require break in lube on the lobes and bearing saddles as it sounds like its been re-ground, don't miss this step.
Use a high zinc engine break in oil and bring the engine up to 2000-2500 RPM as soon as it gets oil pressure and keep it there for 20 min. its very easy to blow a re-ground or new cam and trash the rest of the engine with it. Drive it about 100 miles and dump the oil and filter for normal fill.

Thanks guys.

The cams have not been reground, they just had basically a bit of a polish done to them because of this:
IMG_20160914_174734_zps2l7tpljn.jpg

IMG_20160914_183545_zpsiptzvdg7.jpg

And how they are now:
WhatsApp%20Image%202016-12-12%20at%2023.01.40b_zpsiutdz8zi.jpeg

WhatsApp%20Image%202016-12-12%20at%2023.01.40_zpsioodl0hn.jpeg

Will I need to break them in?
I was planning on squirting them with normal oil during installation

IMO breaking them in would be the smart thing to do, the surface hardening from break in is very easily removed. Being an OHC you will probably get away without a dedicated break in oil as the pressure on the lobes is less than a push rod engine but I would use a cam break in lube anyway.

I've always used a thin coat of moly assembly paste on cams and lifters.

I've used soap and water, like joy soap. I use a bristle brush , followed by brake cleaner and then wd-40 to displace any moisture.

Last edited:
Brake cleaner and wipe down with a shop towel. Blow off with some compressed air to remove any shedded fibers. Then put on some Isky rev lube or other cam lube and run in properly like a new cam just to be safe.

Use solvent or soap and water' let dry. Lube the journals and bearings upon installation.

These are roller cams so no need for break in. Just a squirt of oil will do. I would lube the rollers on the followers with oil and spin them so you know they are lubed.
I would not put a grease especially one with moly on the lobes or rollers. Moly could actually cause the rollers to slide or skid and cause premature wear and flat spots.

Originally Posted By: Fred_Garvin
Use solvent or soap and water' let dry. Lube the journals and bearings upon installation.

These are roller cams so no need for break in. Just a squirt of oil will do. I would lube the rollers on the followers with oil and spin them so you know they are lubed.
I would not put a grease especially one with moly on the lobes or rollers. Moly could actually cause the rollers to slide or skid and cause premature wear and flat spots.

Thats a good point! I never really thought about that. The moly paste is a carry over from the flat tappet cams.

Yea I have a couple tubs of it for when I build a flat tappet engine. Just don't put it on the side of the lifters or in the bores. Also have used it to lube fasteners when it is called for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back