How to cut open an oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friends car as a Purolator classic filter on it that has something like 12,000 miles on it (I know because I installed it). Anyway, I don't normally do cut and post, but since this one is bound to be the proverbial train wreck, it might be amusing to do so. My question is how can I cut this thing open with tools I already have, without damaging the filter media any worse than it already is, or turning my basement into a mini Exxon Valdez. I have an angle grinder which would work pretty quick, but I don't see using that and not making a big mess or damaging the media. I have dremel tools which is probably what I should be using here, but unless I have missed something here, like cut through the metal most of the way first with the angle grinder then switch to the dremel, I can't think of anything else that's bound to work for someone who is going to only cut open one filter and doesn't want to buy anything new just for this. If it matters I have a wide variety of automotive, wood working, and plumbing tools. Besides the dremel and angle grinder, the only other thing that comes to mind would be a hacksaw. I am not sure how I am going to use any of these tools to saw the case metal case off the filer, since I will need something to hold the filter itself. Any ideas?

And no need to sidetrack as to why some many miles on the filter. It is inherited and somebody was too busy dying to change their oil.

You don't have a vice? I have used a hacksaw with the filter in a vice, or a dremel just holding the filter in my hand or laying on the bench.

I tried a dremel tool on one of my fram tough guards. Not enough power to cut through it for me, or it would take a seriously long time to do so.

I opted for tin snips. Takes me roughly 5 minutes to cut a filter with tin snips and they can be had cheap. I think I picked mine up at Harbor Freight.

Works every time

Edit:
this is the video I watched, very simple and you won't destroy your can.
cutting open oil filter with tin snips

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
I tried a dremel tool on one of my fram tough guards. Not enough power to cut through it for me, or it would take a seriously long time to do so.

I opted for tin snips. Takes me roughly 5 minutes to cut a filter with tin snips and they can be had cheap. I think I picked mine up at Harbor Freight.

Works every time

Tin snips can cut through an oil filter can??? I am pretty sure there are at least a few pairs if those laying around in the garage, but they are not as nice as the ones from the video, which was very helpful.

This would be the type of tin snips I see in this garage:
il_570xN.481843532_6fhb.jpg

I use a dremel with a fiber reinforced cutoff wheel. I can do 3-4 filters with 1 wheel. Takes maybe 2 minutes to do (if that).
Biggest problem with the dremel is you end up with metal shavings all inside the filter. If your just wanting to see what the filter looks like (ie torn media and such) then it is not a real issue. If your wanting to inspect the media for debris, then the cutoff wheel is not a good option (nor is the grinder or hacksaw).

Before I had an actual oil filter cutter I used the air powered high speed cutoff tool from harbor freight with success. have to be a little careful not to set it on fire though.

I always use my angle grinder and a cutting wheel. Takes 30 seconds or so. Just don't stick the wheel too far in. I've never hit the media.

I clamp it in a vice and usually grab a cardboard box and set it underneath. They drop oil but not that bad. The box catches it all.

I lucked out years ago and got my filter cutter off eBay from a motorcycle shop. Under $10 shipped. If I had to use a grinder, hacksaw, etc, I'd never cut them open.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OldSparks

Exhaust pipe cut-off tool?

Harbor Freight used to sell one that would work well for filters, they don't have it any more.

The chain style exhaust cutters are not any better. They crush the can more than cut it. I tried it on my Wix filter a few weeks ago and glad I did not buy it (it was a loaner from Advance Auto). It does work to open it without a lot of shavings, but is not a smooth cut open like the filter opener tools.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
Dollar store tin opener

Got a pic?

Are you referring to something like tins snips or a can opener?

Can opener. Get the angle right and go around a few times. They eventually cut through. they hold the filter for you ie no slipping and you get to hold the filter upright so no drips.

I use these ones:

https://www.dollartree.com/Plastic-Grip-Can-Openers/p346770/index.pro
197909.jpg

I did this recently with a hacksaw. I think I figured it out on the second can: secure the can in a vice. Score around the perimeter, but don't go all the way in. Rotate can around as you cut, obviously. Ideally you'd go 3/4 deep, but without knowing how thick the metal is, it's a guess. Once scored, do cut deep enough to break through. Then insert a screwdriver into the slot you just made. Pry upward. This will force the slot top crack open down the length of the score. Work around the can, prying as you go.

I tried some tin snips but it required way too much effort (guess I don't have the hands for it). Few minutes with a hacksaw though and it seemed pretty trivial.

Angle grinder is what I always use, it works great. Just make sure to use a cutting disc, not a grinding disc. Put a few rags down to catch the oil. Cut all the way around the can just above (towards the dome end) the seam. Cut just deep enough to get through the can, not all the way into the filter. I usually end up with a few places that didn't get cut all the way through, but a screwdriver easily pops it the rest of the way open.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
Angle grinder is what I always use, it works great. Just make sure to use a cutting disc, not a grinding disc. Put a few rags down to catch the oil. Cut all the way around the can just above (towards the dome end) the seam. Cut just deep enough to get through the can, not all the way into the filter. I usually end up with a few places that didn't get cut all the way through, but a screwdriver easily pops it the rest of the way open.

Thanks! Yeah, what you are saying is go ahead and use an angle grinder, but cut where the tin snip video was cutting the filter. I get it now, and that might be the best way to to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back