kinney vac pump oil substitute?

Status
Not open for further replies.
allright people heres the deal..

i own a kinney kc-2r vacuum pump. neat little rotary piston pump. as far as i know its always been used for refrigeration systems.
a family member gave it to me, but hes dead now so i have lost all the information for it.

so im sure it needs an oil change. kinney/tuthill makes special oil for these pumps called AX oil. its $34 a quart. and of course i cant find much information about the oil.

so is there some sort of compatable oil i can use without damaging the pump?
my local amsoil dealer carries compressor oil...
should i bite the $34+shipping bullet?

or possibly can someone educate me about vacuum pump oils?

btw i did find this about the ax oil on tuthill's website

"A high quality, low vapor pressure, and non-additive petroleum based oil for oil-sealed mechanical vacuum pumps.
Ultimate pressure specfication: .0002 Torr. (.00026 mbar a)
Viscosity: Approx. 68 cSt @ 40° C (340 SSU @ 100° F)"

My electric vacuum pump is about 40 years old, used mainly for occasional refrigeration now. All I've ever done is squirt a few drops of air tool oil in the vacuum inlet every time I use it and it still works perfectly. Didn't know they even had an oil reservoir, and if it does, it has never been checked.

The JB 6CFM vacuum pump I have has the reservoir and you change it every time you do a vacuum service. The oil holds any contamination from vacuuming an a/c system. I use the Black Gold oil.

If the oil is used for sealing and the vacuum is in contact with it, use the vacuum pump oil.

Trying to cheap out on the oil risks damage to the pump and possible expensive contamination of whatever you're trying to pull a vacuum on.

BSW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back