Who makes a quality headlight harness?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2004 Toyota Tacoma, Extended Cab, 2WD and I'd like to install one of the replacement headlight harnesses you hear so much about to be sure that my headlights are getting the maximum available power.

I've found one that I was ready to order ( http://headlightservices.com/4runner3.html ), but can't seem to get a reply by e-mail or telephone message from the owner - http://headlightservices.com/ContactOrderingInfo.html

I've spoken with him in the past and it sounds like he makes a quality harness and he told me, "Keep in mind, these are not the "inexpensive yellow" harness from China, these are real PREMIUM harnesses made by me in Denver, Colorado. I use ceramic plugs, home run ground wires and my relays are very high quality Tyco brand. My headlamp wire is true made in use 12 awg size. All connections are crimped and soldered." I have a couple of questions before ordering, and I'm nervous about ordering a product from someone I can't contact.

Is there another vendor someone can recommend who makes a nice quality harness like this one?

Thank you,
Ed

Well, if his description is accurate it sounds like he truly makes a quality product. I have a harness from LMC Truck on my 2000 Dodge Ram and I'm happy with it. It's nicely organized and came with Bosch relays if I remember right. I've had it installed now for almost 10 years with absolutely zero issues.

Originally Posted By: Ed_Flecko
I'd like to install one of the replacement headlight harnesses you hear so much about

Tell me more, never heard about them.

The voltage data I looked at on his website shows all measurements at idle. Wouldn't it make more sense to measure the voltages at normal driving rpm, when brighter headlights would actually be of benefit? Many vehicles don't have much alternator output at low rpm, and how often have you wished for brighter headlights while your vehicle was sitting stationary?

Supposedly the brightness perception of the eye is logarithmical, so you need 4x the output of a lightsource to see it twice as bright.

General rule of thumb is, when all other things are equal, a light must be twice as bright to be "noticeably" brighter, and four times brighter to appear twice as bright to the human eye.

While I did notice a slight improvement in headlight brightness when I installed the LMC Truck harness, I was more interested in removing the electrical load from my headlight switch.

I made my own harness with Ancor sheathed tinned 12AWG3 wire and used ceramic H4 12awg plugs. I ran the3rd wire( ground) to firewall near where I mounted relays rather than run a ground to vehicle body near headlight.

I wish I got relays with Dual 87 output terminals instead of just one.

Brightness increase is significant as I had nearly 3 volts of drop, now that is under 0.3v drop.

My taillights/ parking lights also get another volt or so, since current for headlamps does not pass through headlamp switch.

Stern was who I heard of as well for a quality one. It varies by vehicle but when I checked several years ago the power hitting the lights was 8.5-12. This was on non-modified factory wiring in good working order. Yes as mentioned above idle power output does increase but the wiring still causes a voltage drop. The problem is the reflectors are likely designed for the reduced output. So if your voltage increases with a harness you may lose some bulb life. You would also need to re aim the headlights if you want to maintain the proper focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back