Cleaning spray, safe for seals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my long struggle to keep my tailshaft splines lubes to reduce slip-bump in my truck I've found it necessary to clean the male shaft which resides within the transfer case. No issue replacing to fluid afterwards to avoid contamination but I'd like to avoid any cleaners which would damage the seals.

What would be safe for the shaft seals while still functioning to clean off synthetic Teflon grease? My ability to mechanically clean with, say, a tooth brush is extremely limited on the male shaft.

Something I found out for small engines is Pine cleaner. Fantastic in a sonic cleaner for carbs and no worry about soft parts.

Ideally I'm looking towards solvents- something that will evaporate reasonably residue free. It would be a possibility to flush with hose water but I would be concerned about extended drying time before I could get back in service.

Last edited:
Around my transfer case after a weekend of mud and fun I use WD-40. For me I'm worried about the seals around the shift linkage. I then use the hose with a fine spray nozzle. No problems, so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back