What Are You Working On?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2008 Mitsubishi Triton, somethings hitting the fan, sounds real bad...I just serviced it 2 weeks ago. It's the harmonic balancer, it's moved forward and pushing the belts into the fan. This is good, because what normally happens (4M41 diesel) is the pulleys move back, and the first complaint we have is an oil leak because there is a hole worn in the timing cover. Stripped on friday, ready for parts on monday.

This morning was a '96 Corolla,as part of the service I found a carbon button missing from the dist cap and an open HT lead. Young mechanics these days don't even check this stuff, let alone check the sparkplugs. So I was able to show the tractor apprentice what us old guys used to do back turn of the century - got my Fluke 98 out and showed him how we could see the missing button on the scope, and ignition pattern before and after. Also replaced an open thermostat, something else also never checked - it's not overheating, so there is no problem. Some may think it's upselling, but I'm finding real problems that need sorting right now.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Don't want to sound like a Harley.
wink.gif

hehehe,
i live less then a mile from a Harley dealer: guess what sounds i enjoy (NOT) every warm weekend...
surprisingly, the commercial trains at night or the 24/7 UPS facility next to it do =not manage to make the same level of sound.....

Slowly installing GM Rochester throttle body fuel injection on a '49 Chevy pickup that's sitting on a '77 Chevy C10 chassis and drivetrain. Installing the mechanical fuel pump block off plate at the moment. '89 K5 Blazer fuel tank and pump/sending unit installed two days ago. Trans Dapt Holley 4 barrel to Rochester tb adapter installed two days ago. Wiring harness and fuel lines next week.

Replaced the high pressure power steering hose on my 1998 Chevy k1500 with the 5.7L. Very frustrating. I made a post in this section about it.

Wayne

Power steering hoses are often a pain, some make you wonder if they intentionally made them difficult to replace. Chevy Trailblazer with the 4.2 6 cylinder is one of the stupidest engine compartment layouts I've ever dealt with, at least from GM.

I have to put the door card back on the RR door after replacing the window. Once the yert is clear. In goes the Rat for some frame repair and exhaust work.

This morning had an '11 Chrysler Town and Country with a 3.6 with a water leak, customer had replaced thermostat and put the old housing O-ring over the new one, so I fixed that. Also have an '04 Dodge Ram that I'm replacing the RH exhaust manifold gasket and bolts on.

All the cars are working right now but I'm in the process of turning a Harbor Freight flatbed trailer into a teardrop camper.

Planning and arranging for major home renovations: new kitchen cabinets, gutting and complete rebuild of ensuite bathroom, new powder room cabinet, new back entry closet cabinets and laundry area rebuild. Much discussion of plumbing fixtures, pop-up electrical outlets, LED strip lighting vs LED pucks, critical dimensions, under tile heated floor mats, and like that.

Selling stuff found or replaced around the house: sold one ceiling light fixture ($75) and a giant tarp ($20) this week. More to come.

Working on a medical study concerning the effects of opioids.

Oh, and I almost forgot - enjoying my "retirement".

Found some decent oem headlights from the local pick a part for my pontiac. I gotta remove the front bumper to remove the old sun faded one and install these cleaner ones.

Been tinkering with the TBI swap today, also installed a passenger side transmission mount on an '89 Cadillac Sedan DeVille. I've got a stalling issue to diagnose on an '05 Ford Freestar and a skip on an '03 Nissan Maxima.

I got pending work on a friend's 1998 Tahoe and Accord. One needs codes to be pulled, the other needs a brake fluid flush.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back