Good quality aftermarket back-up camera system

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I've been doing some preliminary research on aftermarket reverse camera systems, so far this is what I've learned:

1. Wired systems are more challenging for installation, but are less likely to have interference issues the wireless systems often have.
2. CCD is better than CMOS for the actual camera unit.
3. Camera must have night vision from either LED lights in visible spectrum or IR spectrum.
4. License plate mount seems the easiest, if slightly clunky in appearance.
5. Some systems will allow an additional camera input....so a front view could be nice at times to see how far from that P/U hitch ball is your grille?
6. Spend less than $80 and you're highly likely to waste your time and money, no need to spend more than $250

Tell me if I am getting this right? I'd appreciate knowing your own experience with aftermarket systems regardless of price paid.
Thanks,
Ken

This will be a stupid question, but what is your ultimate goal for the use of this?
I mean I get backing up, but I was going to follow it because I want one for the truck and a wireless one for the trailer. This will allow me to hitch up quicker and see behind the trailer (even though I always get out and look before backing up with it.)

Crutchfield has a guide - after going through two license plate mount versions (water) - went to another stereo shop and that guy said he never had luck with those and does the little cube/bracket version.
(Our cops scrutinized those plate mounts if they covered anything too).
Wish I could recall make - but it has lasted a year now and gives me a wider range of view ...

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
This will be a stupid question, but what is your ultimate goal for the use of this?

Excellent question! I should have stated my goal. My Maxima has a high rear deck and my wife and I both (mid fifties vintages) find it hard to tell how far back the bumper goes. Yes, I've managed to back up without such aids since I was 16, but the new tech is pretty neat and I don't feel the need to get a new car just to have it factory installed. No trailer hitch on the Maxima
grin.gif

The other day I came out of a convenience store - back of truck had a new Whirlpool washer bound for the camp. This guy walked out with coffee and from his coveralls I already spotted his pickup at the pump where his coworker was filling up.
Just as I put my truck in reverse (foot on brake) I checked the camera to find him sipping coffee 2 feet behind my bumper - backwards to me.
(I don't think he heard my shift with an F250 PowerStroke clacking to my right) ...

#3 is generally pointless because the reverse lights are your camera lights at night, unless you are mounting this on something that doesnt have reverse lights.

I haven't messed with an aftermarket one in some years, but before backup cameras became commonplace from the OEM many of the upfitters used ROSTRA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back