aggressive bank emoyees trying to cross sell

Status
Not open for further replies.
I rarely set foot in a retail bank,but during the few times l have in recent years, l was pressured relentlessly to discuss products x,y and z with one of their advisors. I realize that they are under tremendous pressure to cross sell and generate revenue, but they sometimes don't take no for an answer and become obnoxious. It gives me more incentive to do all of my banking online or at the ATM.

i concur.

They are always trying to up my credit limit or up my insurance on my lines of credit.
To that I say "Up yours!"

lol.gif

I use local banks that do not have up sells/affiliated products sells as a policy. Problem solved. On line, I use two banks that do not seem to have a policy of up sells, so I am happy all the way around.

Its because the big banks push the employees so hard to meet unreasonable sales goals with the threat of losing their job if they are not met per quarter.

I wouldn't do business with that kind of bank. Perhaps look at a credit union? If you can qualify for USAA or Navy Federal, might look that way.

I've been online banking with USAA for probably 15 years now, and I would never go back to a traditional bank. I only have to set foot in an actual bank perhaps once a year now, and its quite refreshing.

Ive never been asked for such things at the smaller banks and CUs I deal with.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Maybe l should ditch the larger banks and patronize the smaller ones. I like B of A only because l can find their ATMs in many places l travel to in the US.

Many smaller banks are parts of nation-wide ATM networks. It takes a little research to identify them beforehand. I am currently using an Everbank ATM card that allows you to use any ATM, and get automatic reimbursement for the fees, up to a monthly limit. Before, I used a credit union that was part of the Coop ATM network, and identified qualifying ATM locations before I went on my trip.

My local credit unions don't do that. Any place that did would lose my business. Pitching me when taking out $40 for the weekend isn't fun.

I've been going to the same banks for years. Comes in handy when you want a free cashier's check or whatever you might need. Anyway the local one had a promotion where you'd get $5 if the teller didn't ask you about opening an account. They asked me anyway but weren't pushy about it because they knew I wouldn't do it. That seemed to last only a month or two, then it was gone.

Originally Posted By: JayhawkRoy
Many smaller banks are parts of nation-wide ATM networks. It takes a little research to identify them beforehand. I am currently using an Everbank ATM card that allows you to use any ATM, and get automatic reimbursement for the fees, up to a monthly limit. Before, I used a credit union that was part of the Coop ATM network, and identified qualifying ATM locations before I went on my trip.

Not only that, but many credit unions have agreements with each other that allow you to do basic business(deposit cash/checks, withdraw, etc) at a different credit union.

I have only ever used a credit union. When I moved for graduate school, I was able to keep doing business with the same one as there were surcharge-free ATMs all over the place and half a dozen places in town where I could get counter service.

I'm glad I stuck with them. They have now expanded into my town, and even better the university where I went to grad school and am now employed has entered an agreement with them to be the "official bank." We have a full-blown branch on campus. That's not to mention that I managed to get a LOT of perks that they were offering to new members when they first moved on to campus. They recognized my 28 year loyalty to them, which they said was the longest of anyone they had dealt with in this branch, and loaded me up with all kinds of freebies.

I've never been upsold or otherwise felt like I was being forced into anything. In fact, when I've applied for loans they've often been able to do some creative juggling of the loan type to get the best interest rate or advise me to take out something that would improve my credit score. I can't be happier with how they've treated me.

Originally Posted By: Joe1
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Maybe l should ditch the larger banks and patronize the smaller ones. I like B of A only because l can find their ATMs in many places l travel to in the US.

Many online banks will refund you ATM fees charged by other banks. I have USAA and they will refund me like $20-$25/month in ATM fees from other banks.

Don't get me started. We complained to Huntington mgmt about this. They said we "are in a sales oriented industry." Really? When I was a kid, banks encouraged me to save, not borrow. Of course, now that savings interest is .02 percent who would bother with that.

John

Years ago I worked with a guy who got fired from one of the previously mentioned big corporate banks because he didn't "sell" enough of their credit cards. I think that practice is sleazy and disgusting. You tell them no and they keep pushing. When I worked retail our supervisors would prey on the people they thought were too unintelligent to understand the uber high interest rate and pushed us to do the same. I always flat out refused to participate in that scumball behavior because I thought it was completely unethical.

Everything online with Ally and USAA Banks. Haven't been into a local bank in years.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
i concur.

They are always trying to up my credit limit or up my insurance on my lines of credit.
To that I say "Up yours!"

lol.gif

I kept getting approved for way more mortgage than I wanted or needed.

Yeah I'm sure I can afford a $90,000 mortgage ... but I don't want to.

Simple. Find a new bank.

I stop by our bank once a week to swap our backup drives in the safe deposit box. I often bring in several checks from clients to deposit into our business accounts. Never has anyone tried to sell me anything, but the bank manager has brought me a cup of coffee on occasion.

I did get a credit card once that yielded me a $200 bonus a few months later.

That's it. I have been asked to donate to charities and I will sometimes do that too.

You couldn't pay me to do business with a major bank. May they all rot in an inflationary low equity [censored].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back