Dealer rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
+1000 as if I pulled a stunt like what the dealer did to member Doog; I'd lose my job; plain and simple. Pop_Rivit should take his own advice 100% of the time and stop criticizing other "knowledgeable members"

Bet he would be surprised if he stopped acting all high and righteous

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Rather than a childish rant about it on a discussion forum, why not call the service department and discuss it with them first?

To go public warns others, who will also double-check dealer work, and perhaps save a life.

To call the dealer would mean the issue would be hush-hushed, and noone would learn anything.

Wow usually it is the opposite. They hammer down with the impact wrench and it is impossible to get the lugs off. My sister had new tires put on her '05 Civic. Shortly after, she hit a lag bolt in the road and my dad went down to swap in the spare and get it plugged. He was standing on a breaker bar and couldn't get the lug nuts to budge. He wasn't happy when he called the tire shop.

My friend owned a 2001 Ford Ranger a few years ago. Had the tires rotated and the mechanic came in and said the lug nut stud had just "sheared off". Well it sheared off because genius Ford Tech set the impact on max and broke it.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Rather than a childish rant about it on a discussion forum, why not call the service department and discuss it with them first?

To go public warns others, who will also double-check dealer work, and perhaps save a life.

To call the dealer would mean the issue would be hush-hushed, and noone would learn anything.

+1

Reminds folks to check just in case...

You have a different view of things than most. I guess it takes all kinds.

How much time did you dedicate to this "free" service?

I personally would not take a new vehicle to the dealer for a free anything unless there was warranty work that needed done.

~2 hours of my time and ~$30 for oil/ filter would keep me away from dicking with the dealer.

Enlighten all of BITOG on how OP's rant was CHILDISH.

If you notice, some folks actually gave advice and as others said, it can be a lesson learned for the safety of others. Say an old couple or busy single mom or a not so mechanically inclined individual went in for the same service, but didn't know to check the torque because they rightfully assumed all was well.

Before spewing whatever ignorant thought comes to your head, perhaps you should simply think first?

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Your torque wrench may not be accurate to 10 ft-lbs (it's ft-lbs, not ft/lbs.)

Did you actually check at 10 ft-lbs and note movement or are you guessing, because you got movement when you checked at normal torque spec? If the latter, how much movement did you note?

Did you read the post before responding to it?

I'm confused; did I miss something? He said he took his torque wrench and found three loose. My question was, in other words:

1. Did OP check with his torque wrench set at normal spec (e.g., something like 85 ft-lbs) and, as he checked them tight, noticed three of them actually rotated excessively before reaching the final torque value?; OR

2. Did OP check with his torque wrench set initially to a low torque value,

Originally Posted By: Doog
3....count em THREE loose lug nuts
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
They didn't have 10 ft/lbs on them.
mad.gif

Did you actually check at 10 ft-lbs and note movement or are you guessing, because you got movement when you checked at normal torque spec? If the latter, how much movement did you note?

I'm confused; did I miss something? He said he took his torque wrench and found three loose. My question was, in other words:

1. Did OP check with his torque wrench set at normal spec (e.g., something like 85 ft-lbs) and, as he checked them tight, noticed three of them actually rotated excessively before reaching the final torque value?; OR

mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Plot twist, maybe he used a beam wrench, not a clicker!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Wow usually it is the opposite. They hammer down with the impact wrench and it is impossible to get the lugs off. My sister had new tires put on her '05 Civic. Shortly after, she hit a lag bolt in the road and my dad went down to swap in the spare and get it plugged. He was standing on a breaker bar and couldn't get the lug nuts to budge. He wasn't happy when he called the tire shop.

My friend owned a 2001 Ford Ranger a few years ago. Had the tires rotated and the mechanic came in and said the lug nut stud had just "sheared off". Well it sheared off because genius Ford Tech set the impact on max and broke it.

Yep, that's been my experience too, and why I always check the nuts myself after rotations. No need to have my rotors warped or be stuck with a flat and be unable to remove the wheel. I've never had any be under torqued but a LOT that are way over.

Originally Posted By: Bud
Unless it's warranty work, I avoid the dealer at all costs.

But, but, but, but, they're ASE certified, which means they passed a test and washed cars, or changed oil for two years.
27.gif

I do the same as you, I avoid them like the plague.

Just depends - I steer wide of big city dealers (buy from them only) - but our small town GM dealer has had the same techs for many years - and a service manager from that same concrete floor - and if it is technically up there in scope... OK
After my near miss - tire rotation is done by me or one of two places I can still watch them work ...

Toyota dealer rotated tires 3,500 miles ago. I'll check if they are tight.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
What's a 2 piece lugnut?

Generally, a nut that has a chrome "sleeve" over top of it making it actually two pieces.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Plot twist, maybe he used a beam wrench, not a clicker!
wink.gif

Right, he could have noted movement before the beam indicated 10 ft-lbs. Even if below the cal curve of the wrench, movement below 10 most likely indicates loose.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Enlighten all of BITOG on how OP's rant was CHILDISH.

If you notice, some folks actually gave advice and as others said, it can be a lesson learned for the safety of others. Say an old couple or busy single mom or a not so mechanically inclined individual went in for the same service, but didn't know to check the torque because they rightfully assumed all was well.

Before spewing whatever ignorant thought comes to your head, perhaps you should simply think first?

You dont speak for me sir, I also think it is childish and bad form, but then again 1/3 of most posts in the off topic forum fit this definition.

Wise of you to check. Many don't, hop in the car with family for a trip, then get stuck on the side of the road, plans all shot to h$ll.

Don't forget the spare....

I took my car to a Valvoline for a state inspection and was amazed to see that the kid working there used a torque wrench to install my tire after checking the brakes. I wanted to give him a tip for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back