Gulf Competition Cheap Ester based oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone used this brand of oil before? its considerably cheaper than Motul and redline alternatives,

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-60121-gulf-c...engine-oil.aspx

gul_1a5litre_racing_lab.jpg

or is it no good? iv personally never heard of the brand name Gulf before.

TDS: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/pdfs/gulf-oil/gulf-competition-technical-data-sheet.pdf

Last edited:
Gulf is an old, long-time U.S. oil brand---headquartered in Pittsburgh, with a named skyscraper to prove it, back in the day. They went bust decades ago, but I think the name/logo has been sold and resuscitated---I don't know to/by whom.

thinking of running the 0w-30 in my gen7 toyota celica. but dunno if i should just stick to the shell helix ultra AF 5w-30 i use at the moment.

I usually don't get too excited about pour point, but isn't it kind of weird that a 0W30 that is cold crank tested at -35C has a pour point of -36C????

I might be wrong but I had the impression that Gulf, Total and Elf were now much the same company.

I just bought some Gulf Formula GX fully synthetic at the very good price of £13.20 for 5L and it's properly approved to MB 229.5 so that's good enough for me.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I usually don't get too excited about pour point, but isn't it kind of weird that a 0W30 that is cold crank tested at -35C has a pour point of -36C????

It's odd, but not unprecedented. I've seen similar examples before from the majors.

As for Gulf in general, they still do a lot of sponsorship in motorsports, including Aston Martin Racing and their own GT team. One may very well recognize some of the liveries.

Apparently the 0w30 has a hths of 3.58
The shell i use currently may be in the region of hths ~3
But the 40c and 100c cts ratings of the shell and the gulf are preety much the same as each other.
Would the highet hths of the gulf oil be a problem for my celicas 2zzge engine?

What about oil change duration?
With the shell oil i use i do 5k intervals. Will the gulf ester stuff last for 7.5k intervals?

looking at the specs it seems more like with ester than an ester based oil, still good though as i picked up some 15-50 silkolene for my bikes, group III with Ester

Not a pure ester oil, that's for sure.

Group III+V blend, but that isn't bad.

For a pure polyolester oil, you're paying the same for 1 litre...

I think I'd go with Gulf Formula G 0w-30.

post-2-0-33624900-1389584707.jpg

PAO/Ester oil (group IV/V)

You can immediately see the pour point drops when the group III is removed, and the flash point is excellent. definitely a long drain oil aswell but when going to an ester containing oil in a used engine I would build up the interval slowly, and consider short changing the first fill. The solubility of the oil is a lot greater than other synthetic or semi-synthetic oils, and likely higher than group I minerals. If there's crud to dissolve, this'll do it.

Works out slightly cheaper aswell, I think?

Ahh cool. So the ester oil cleans better? I thought ester was just for lubrication and additives and detergents do the cleaning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back