Tekton tools

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meijer had a Black Friday BOGO deal yesterday on their Tekton hand tools. The ratchets, wrenches and sockets appeared to be Taiwan made Harbor Freight clones and of decent quality. I was looking at the their pliers and some were US made. After a bit of research, they are made by Wilde and IMO are of great quality for the price. They did have some equivalently sized US made Channellocks and these actually seemed a bit tougher after a highly scientific handle squeeze test.

Broke down and bought their largest and second smallest tongue and groove pliers with an out the door price of $16 for both. I already have an older mid size pair of Channellocks that belonged to my dad's father that I've used quite often before. (Sadly, they were in a tool box in a boat that sank, and once recovered, sat in water for who know how long and are pitted with rust even after an Evpo-Rust treatment.)

I also broke down and bought a set of US made Channellock 337 wire cutters that were on sale for $15. Dad has had a pair of these as long as I can remember.

I have some Tekton sockets and large wrenches that I feel are of very good quality. I have reefed on the wrenches pretty good and they survived my abuse, so good find with those pliers

Tekton has a good reputation. Nothing wrong there for the average handyman/tinkerer. I'd use them in a shop environment - oh wait, I do ...
smile.gif

I needed a new 3/8" ratchet last year having broken the last one that I had.
Meijer had some kind of deal going so I bought a Tekton there.
It seems to be a well-made tool for the money and is nicely finished.
Well worth what I paid for it.

Bought their metric long wrenches about 2 years ago and have been very happy with them. Also have bought some large impact sockets as well.

Over at the GarageJournal forum, Tekton generally gets a thumbs up. Taiwan made tools are thought to be of better quality than China or India made tools (Harbor Freight has all 3). The company seems to have reputation for caring about quality at the diy/homeowner level and they have an excellent reputation for customer service. To me, they might be a good alternative to fill the niche once occupied by Craftsman.

They have also introduced US made screwdrivers that get good reviews: http://toolguyd.com/tekton-usa-screwdrivers/

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showt...2754&page=2

I have a few Tekton tools that I use professionally. 1/2 deep metric impact sockets and a 1/2 impact driver. Both have held up well for the past year or so of heavy shop use. For a DIY they are a pretty good deal, if they can put up with daily pro use they will be great for diy duties.

I just picked up their 1/2" drive 10-150 torque wrench for $25
Seems nice enough.. I'll be doing the winter tire thing soon.. I'll check back with a review.

Definitely a step up from HF, and basic AAP brand stuff.

My AAP torque wrench sometimes jumps a tooth on the ratcheting part... its ready for retirement after 10 years.. but still torques consistently.

Used my tekton 10-150 1/2" drive torque wrench today.
Torqued 8 wheels twice.
Really like it. Easy to read. Nice clicking action.
Not as much leverage as my old 25-250 AAP model but
really plenty for my applications.. IF I had a truck that required
130ft-lb or so maybe I'd want a bigger model.
Cost was 25$ on amazon.
comes with a nice case.
71eo5RTizDL._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-24335-2-In...0NM251G965Z1RDJ

no longer on sale.
Did I mention EASY TO READ.. scale goes by 10's and marked in increments of 2

my old one was scale by 15's and increments of 3.. and hard to read.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Great wrench for torquing lug nuts. Do not build an engine with it.

Used a 1/2 Harbor freight torque wrench for $9.99 that was frequently beat on to do a head gasket job on a subaru back in 2011. The Subaru is still fine today.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Great wrench for torquing lug nuts. Do not build an engine with it.

Nice unsubstantiated statement that adds nothing. Right up there with girls having "cooties", do not kiss them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back