Thinking about a new Tourer. Harley or Indian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like the Indian Roadmaster. Something tells me I need a Harley at some point, and this will be the last Bike I ever buy. I plan on keeping the other bikes (well, possibly parting with the VFR), and this last Bike will see very limited mileage. There are some nicely reduced Harley Electra Glides from '16 (since the Milwaukee Eight motor is out).

I'm just not sure how big a difference there is in power from the 16's to the 17's, and not sure I want to buy a first year model of any motor. The Indian is a beautiful bike, but Harley has a larger Dealer network, should I ever need service or repair.

Who here owns an Electra Glide or Roadmaster that can offer some insight? I won't be going for any Model that has Navigation, so I might be looking at the Electra Glide Classic, or the '16 Roadmaster's that didn't have navigation as an option. The '17 Roadmaster's dash is hideous with the navigation.

If there is no measurable difference in the new Harley motor, I would a consider a Used Electraglide...

Last edited:
That's a good article. Scroll down to the comments, that's the color Indian I would like, blue/cream. It's either that, or the black with brown seat. I did test ride a '17 Ultra limited with the new motor last week. I seemed OK, but is no match for my Goldwing when it comes to power...not that I need it to be. It seemed really smooth, very easy to ride. The last Harley I rode was a rental in Myrtle Beach in '09. I liked that one even.

I own a '05 Road King and perform just about all my own maintenance myself. You can't beat Harley's dealer network. I did a Google search for Indians network and most states have 3 to 5 dealers for the state. Plus the Harley dealers by me are open 7 days a week. No service on Sundays. And they don't sell Harley's as a sideline along with outboard motors, jetski's or atv's, and lawnmowers.There are also more Harley parts and accessories available online thru Ebay and other online vender's, then you'll find for Indian. For a startup company, I think Indian motorcycles are overpriced. Plus they try to make people think they have some tie to the original company that went out of business over 60 years ago. The new company just "bought" the name, and use the same design of the fenders.Their other brand Victory, is the red haired stepchild of the company.Slow sales underwhelming fit and finish, really bad resale demand and return. They sell about as good as Yamahas road star did, and then they dropped that bike from their lineup, so Don't consider one of those if you want long term factory support and resale value.Shop around and talk to owners of all of them to figure out which one you think you'll be happy with.,,,

You'd need to buy an awful lot of harley-branded gear like bandanas and keychains. Plus, harley dealers are the best at reenacting the used car dealers from the 70s.

In all seriousness, both companies make great machines. Ride them both and buy whatever your gut likes. You're over thinking it. Life's too short to just hem and haw.

I don't know much about cruiser bikes, but know that i want one someday.

When I do, it'll be an Indian. Those light pastel color schemes with the brown leather and bright chrome really do it for me
laugh.gif

In terms of the machine itself, my nod goes to Indian. I am also partial to it because they churn them out just a few hours north of here in Iowa. Harley makes very capable machines, but I am always one that likes to be different. If you have an Indian dealer in your area, and they are good people go that way. If you have a lousy one or no support, then go Harley.

Either machine will likely serve you well and for all the bashing the Polaris made Indians and Victory bikes get from the Harley people, the customers sure love the bikes and are satisfied with them from what I see. I hope Indian does well, when there is good competition, the consumer always benefits from better products and better prices.

It's looking like I'm going to go Indian. I've spent the last month doing a lot of reading about both Indian and Harley. I did the hard hat tour in York, PA. at the Harley plant. Something about the Indian just calls my name. The nearest Dealer is over an hour away, but with my Goldwing, it didn't go back to a dealer until it was 8 years old, and that was for a recall that probably didn't even need to be done.

I was ready to buy the Indian two weeks ago from the closest dealer to me. Only reason I didn't, was because there is a dealer 5 hours away that is selling the same bike for 2k less. I asked him to split the difference with me and eat 1k, but he wasn't going for it. This is after I gave him a down payment on a demo they had. Been almost two weeks and I haven't gotten my downpayment back, so the chances of me doing business with these guys ever again are slim. There is another dealer North of me that I would be using if needed, they are about the same distance away, but with less traffic, and in a pretty rural area.

Originally Posted By: montero1
I asked him to split the difference with me and eat 1k, but he wasn't going for it. This is after I gave him a down payment on a demo they had. Been almost two weeks and I haven't gotten my downpayment back,

And, you are tolerant of this? I'd pitch a fit. Just an FYI, I use credit cards for everything, for just this reason.

I can understand wanting the Indian. However, with that kind of treatment, I'd choose any other brand.

EDIT: Another unrelated thought. I've ridden the Indian and found it too big for me. I've not ridden the new Harley, but I could have sworn the Indian was bigger.

Last edited:
I vote for the Indian. The ones I've ridden felt much stronger and more rider friendly than either of the Harley's I've ridden. And they vibrated a whole lot less.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I asked him to split the difference with me and eat 1k, but he wasn't going for it. This is after I gave him a down payment on a demo they had. Been almost two weeks and I haven't gotten my downpayment back,

And, you are tolerant of this? I'd pitch a fit. Just an FYI, I use credit cards for everything, for just this reason.

I can understand wanting the Indian. However, with that kind of treatment, I'd choose any other brand.

EDIT: Another unrelated thought. I've ridden the Indian and found it too big for me. I've not ridden the new Harley, but I could have sworn the Indian was bigger.

Don't worry, I will get my money back, and I did use a credit card. I'm not going to let one dealer sour me.

I went through the same thing last month. The wife and I rode our Electra Glide to Biketoberfest and saw the Indian Roadmaster. It was love at first sight!

We test rode it and I almost bought one on the spot to ride home. I'm glad that I didn't because after a little reflection, I came to my senses and realized that our Electra Glide suits our needs just fine and 30 grand is a LOT of coin.

The old girl is getting a little aged but I like the evo engine with the gear driven cam. The Harley is paid for, runs great and still looks pretty good.

Good luck with the Roadmaster.

2015-03-29%2018.04.11-L.jpg

I had a 2014 Victory Cross Country for a while, no experience with Indian.
My Victory experience wasn't great. It did everything better than my Harley, (Ride, Handling, Brakes, Power) but it took me a while to get most of the quality issues ironed out. I was feed up, and the final 2 issues pushed me over the limit so I sold it. Coming from 15 years of all kinds of Japanese bikes, I was not accustomed to having to take bikes back to the dealer for issues.

I would hope that with Indian being Polaris's premium line, it wouldn't have the kinds of issues my Victory had. Funny thing was my best friend had a 2010 Cross Country and had none of the issues I had. I think in 2010 Victory was trying to be great, but by 2014 things had changed, the Polaris Board had told them to get profitable, or get out. So I think they started cheapening things, different suppliers etc,...

You really need to ride both of them, if you are going to ride 2-up, do the same on the test ride.

Last edited:
I really like the Indian Roadmaster. Something tells me I need a Harley at some point, and this will be the last Bike I ever buy. I plan on keeping the other bikes (well, possibly parting with the VFR), and this last Bike will see very limited mileage. There are some nicely reduced Harley Electra Glides from '16 (since the Milwaukee Eight motor is out).

I'm just not sure how big a difference there is in power from the 16's to the 17's, and not sure I want to buy a first year model of any motor. The Indian is a beautiful bike, but Harley has a larger Dealer network, should I ever need service or repair.
If there is no measurable difference in the new Harley motor, I would a consider a Used Electraglide...

I know you asked for current electra owners, thought I would share my thoughts since I have the same engine and frame, different model though.
I have a 14 Rushmore Road King, I have not rode a 17. It too was my first Harley and possibly MAY be the last bike I ever own, I plan on keeping this one a long time and so far it has been FLAWLESS.
(disclaimer, every bike I buy is always going to be the last*L*)

I have done A LOT of reading on the 17s.
To me, as with any vehicle I would be afraid to buy a vehicle with a brand new designed engine in the first or second production year.
I admit the M8 sounds like an awesome engine and I am not saying I wouldnt buy it in the second year, just would be leary, HP is about the same in the 16 and 17 model year but the 17 M8 engine is documented to be a torque monster in the low RPM range, right through to the top RPM, where the 16 engine, slowly builds up torque (for lack of a better word)

This torque monster very well may serve you well in a really heavy bike like the Electra, I have the "light weight" version (Road King*L*).
Both engines are silky smooth above idle but the 17 M8 even gives you silky smooth at a dead idle whether you like that or not is a personal decision. They are still working on some issues, depending on what you read in the HD forums with some M8's but it seems like HD did good for a first year engine.

As far as Indian, my wife and I looked at them many times in the showroom, look like very well put together bikes, for us personally, not into the look of the bike but again, not everyone is the same.
My only problem is, the price is the same and MORE then many Harleys, Harley in business 100+ years with huge amount of dealer network and honestly, some really nice dealers.

Polaris Indian has been in business 5 years, no dealer network and so little amount of bikes sold you really do not know if they are trouble prone or not. Also with Polaris Indian, much like Polaris has done to the Victory models, they cut model lines like butter if they dont sell well.
It just seems to me, for my money, I am getting the value with the HD Road King. 4 years ago I almost bought the Polaris version of the Road King, Crossroads only to find out they killed the line because they werent selling enough, I would have been really upset to find out I just bought a brand new bike that will no longer be made.

Polaris is known to do that, Indian and Victory motorcycles make up less then 20% of Polaris business.
Motorcycles are 100% of Harley Davidsons business, I look at Harley as the small, specialty bike maker compared to the international companies that make all kinds of products. Whether or not that and pride of ownership is important to you is yet, another personal decision.

Last edited:
Oops and if you live in a hot climate, never mind what you read here, look at professional reviews in the press about the Indian, every reviewer complains about the huge amount of heat compared to the Harley, even if they choose the Indian over the Harley it is certainly something to consider if in a hot climate.
People think Harleys are hot, but read those reviews ... and you will feel cool compared to the Indian.
Not an issue in a cooler climate.

I'm sure that there are Harley horror stories as well, but there is a fellow on ADV that had a very loud noise in the engine of an Indian. Even with his dealer saying that it needed to be fixed Polaris fought him and the dealer every step of the way...

Basically though I think you do your due diligence, look at and ride both bikes, access your wants and needs and pick the one that suits you.

I personally felt that the Indian felt heavier, slower (handling wise) and larger than a similar Harley. I also felt the hardware was not as nice, though the aesthetics of the Vintage are certainly appealing. (I think Harley is missing the boat on a Road King classic, with old school paint and some tan leather....

So I ended up with an Electra Glide Limited. Leftover'16 model with liquid cooled heads. All I can say to you long-time Harley guys...."I get it." The look, the feel, the sound, the dealer support, and the brotherhood. Can't say I would want it as my only bike, but I get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back