new VTC actuator rattling...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I replaced the VTC actuator on my Accord with the updated part myself. I still experience the rattle at startup sometimes.

I'm starting to wonder if it isn't the tensioner failing. With that said, I have a new timing chain, tensioner and guides all ready to go on when I get the ambition. When I changed the VTC actuator... I'm not sure what was up, but I think the chain was stretched as the marks on the harmonic balancer and cams did not align according to the TSB on how to replace the actuator. So I just kept the cams aligned and changed the actuator. No issues or CEL.

hope this falls under the 5/60 drivetrain warranty..that's less than a couple years for me.

It did it again this morning. Guess I can confidently say the new part does not resolve the issue. I don't understand how the 7th gen K24s also had a similar set up but this wasn't an issue. Why can't Honda just mimic that part?

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
If this thing can eventually take the engine out, then it is something to worry about, otherwise it's just an annoying noise.

Hopefully it's just noise. Time will tell.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
hope this falls under the 5/60 drivetrain warranty..that's less than a couple years for me.

Wow the new 1.5 has it too??

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Has the noise been actually isolated to the suspect part?

It is the VTC actuator.

The 2012 Camry has the start up grinding noise. Had a UOA done and it was very good. I started up a 2013 Camry that was used at the Chevy dealer. It just had on oil change prob with the AC Delco oil and maybe they used 5w20 but the grind was hardly noticeable. So maybe I'll take it there for an oil change to see if there's a difference. Of course the used Camry only had 32k miles on it. Link to the UOA, the copper reading was 1 ppm over 10k miles and Iron was 5 ppm.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Started the CR-V this morning, silent as can be.

Which years are affected Greg?

If I am not 100% sure but I don't think the CR-V's had the issue until the 2012 model year. Maybe someone else can chime in. I'm sure google would shed some light.

I'm still wondering if the tensioner for the K24 goes belly up and the startup noise is chain hitting/bouncing off of guides or something else. Since it is hydraulic, it then rebounds once it receives oil pressure.

The link below is an animation of the system. Honda claims the actuator leaks the oil and at start up, it takes more time for oil pressure to build up. I think it is also possible for the solenoid to be left in the wrong position, preventing oil to reach the actuator quickly...

https://youtu.be/OtRlQrAc5IY

Last edited:
Made an appt with the dealer. It went off again this morning. Hopefully will drop off this coming Tuesday.

Greg,
I tried to warn you.
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3923206/Re:_VTC_actuator_causing_timin#Post3923206

The 4 cylinder 2008 Accord is one of worst cars ever made. Sell your lemon and move on.

Combined with the 6 cylinder VCM problems, Honda has dropped to 10 in the CR reliability rankings.

Now having said all of that, my 6 cylinder 2012 Pilot is ~200 numbers before the range of VINs listed in Honda's Recall letter.
I have not had a single problem with this vehicle in 80k miles. Fingers are crossed that this continues....

Churchill

Originally Posted By: Churchill
Greg,
I tried to warn you.
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3923206/Re:_VTC_actuator_causing_timin#Post3923206

The 4 cylinder 2008 Accord is one of worst cars ever made. Sell your lemon and move on.

Combined with the 6 cylinder VCM problems, Honda has dropped to 10 in the CR reliability rankings.

Now having said all of that, my 6 cylinder 2012 Pilot is ~200 numbers before the range of VINs listed in Honda's Recall letter.
I have not had a single problem with this vehicle in 80k miles. Fingers are crossed that this continues....

Churchill

The 2008 had the oil burning issues, and a lot of brake issues as well. 2011-2012 model years seem to have most issues ironed out. These are far from "one of the worst cars ever made". Please, give me a break.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: The Critic
The Toyota 2ZR-FE's do it as well and mine has been exhibiting the rattle for at least 100k. It has never bothered me enough to take action.

Interesting. Does that engine have a chain or belt?

Chain.

LOL @ worst car ever made.

Jesus ... I've pounded the ever living snot out of mine and at 120k I'm thinking I may have stretched the chain a little.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back