How many miles have you gotten from winter tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am having the changeover to the winter tires tomorrow morning (working 6 days / week for the rest of the year, hate doing it this early but...) - Mastercraft Glacier Grip II tires, made in USA, 195/65R-15. I think I have had this set for 5 years, and I think they must have around 30K miles on them. Very unscientific, but this is my 1st set of these in a very long time, & I was expecting the tread to wear off very fast, especially given the mild days when I would have had to do 100+ mile round trips on them, and all the rest. But they have worn much longer than I had expected.
And the car definitely feels more sure-footed in snow & ice with them on, so I put up with the noise & probably lower gasoline mileage.
I guess Cooper still makes this model, so I guess if I ever needed to replace them, I would at least consider them.

Ive got about 20k miles on my altimax arctics. Plenty of tread left, but they are 7 years old. The rubber has hardened over the years and they dont handle snow like they used to. But I'm hoping to run them one more season.

Usually around 25000 because I sell the car.. or replace them when borderline 6/32

This is our 4th year on the GT CHAMPIRO ICEPRO's. I estimate 24K on them so far. So after this winter it will be roughly 32K. Not sure if this is the last year I can use them or not. They still look pretty good. They are studded also. I am more than happy at the way they handle in the snow and ice. Makes the Civic very happy in the winter...

I got about 30,000 good, usable miles from a set of Cooper Weathermaster tires. Once the tread got worn down to where I didn't think it would go well the next season I ran them as summer tires for another 10K miles.

I got about 20K winter miles out of a blizzaks. Outside of the tread was still only 2/32'' off from new, but the insides were gone thanks to my Taurus.

My parents are at about 20K on their Nokian Nordsman tires and they will have another 2 (10K) winters left in them as far as I can tell. That car has a very easy commute to work, though. 18 miles, all highway and not a single stop on the way in.

I have a bit over 4K on my GT Radial snow tires with mininal wear. Too early to tell

I am back from the shop now, they are mounted. The guy at the shop said between 7 & 8 thousandths tread depth left on them. Trying to estimate the usage again (I never really kept track), around 15K miles per year, I think 1/3 of the year on winter tires, so 5K / year, and they have been on 4 or 5 years already, so 20K or 25K miles. These are the 1st set of winter tires since the 70's, when I had rear drive cars. This is a pleasant surprise, since the car is so old, glad toe be able to get at least 1 more decent season out of the tires.

I tried to wear out my Michelin Xi2s after 5 years by using them all summer last year. Never did get them down to what I consider wore out for non snow driving. Finally got new Xi3s after putting 69k miles on the old Xi2s.

Installed Michelin on the wife car 5 years ago,ran them year around,no rotation,after 27500 miles they have 2/32 on the front and 5/32 on the rear,plan 0n replacing the fronts this month.

I've gotten 50k winter miles out of both Blizzak and Nitto tires before they reached the winter tread wear bar, and then another 30 using them in other seasons. The Blizzak with a Q temp rating did blow out on me on the highway, so I'm not sure I would do that again with a Q rated tire. The Nitto tires with a T rating had no problems in summer use and performed adequately. I've never experienced the rapid wear on stud less winter tires that many people complain of, maybe because I drive light cars and almost all highway.

Currently at 25k with Xi3's that still have 8/32". Almost time to install.

The Michelin's and Bridgestone have additional tread wear indicators for snow performance. Michelin puts them at 6/32".

I have now on X5 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2. If it makes 20K before it hits winter bars it will be success. They went from 13/32 (new) to 8/32 in 12K.
Reason? They are no match for BMW suspension, and I can easily overwhelm tires in corners when dry. Next year I will purchase Michelin Latitude Xi2 for that reason, although I am not their fan that much bcs. of deep snow performance. But then again, they should do much better in all other conditions.

I've always had snow tires mounted on extra rims, so with that, I waited until the last minute to rotate them on, and took them off as soon as the weather warmed up. I've actually never ran the treads on any set down to the minimum, but like a few of the other posters have said, the rubber went hard and pretty much became worse than the all seasons. I would put them on on CL with said disclaimers and get some cash back towards some new ones. Rinse and repeat every 4-5 seasons.

Originally Posted By: ZebRuaj
I've always had snow tires mounted on extra rims, so with that, I waited until the last minute to rotate them on, and took them off as soon as the weather warmed up. I've actually never ran the treads on any set down to the minimum, but like a few of the other posters have said, the rubber went hard and pretty much became worse than the all seasons. I would put them on on CL with said disclaimers and get some cash back towards some new ones. Rinse and repeat every 4-5 seasons.

I trade them in at Discount Tires.
I do same, put at last moment. However, Colorado front range is very tricky. One day it is 2ft of snow, next day it is 70 degrees. April coms, 70 degrees, you go to mountains it is 20 degrees with full blizzard going on. Here in front range you need tire like Michelin X-ice. Good on ice, dry, rain, decent in snow. BUT, if you go to mountains a lot it is tricky, you need deep snow tire.

My current Michelin Alpin A4 still have 6mm left after 40.000km, so they now get their third winter. Whether they'll see a fourth after that or wether I'll drive them into the ground in summer... we'll see.
But until now, I have any reason to believe I can get at least 60.000km out of them. The predecessors (A2 and A3) also got similar mileage, but the A4 is better in slush, snow and the wet.
Unfortunately, they don't make them anymore. The A5 a good friend of mine drives on his 9k is even (a bit) better in the snow and in the wet, but signifcantly worse on dry roads and wears much faster... Quite a disappointement.

Last edited:
I think there's a guy here claiming to get 100k out of his...

I don't think I've gotten more than 30k. The aggressive ones would flat spot, which was maybe the cars fault? Dunno. Not sure I'd expect more than that on my vehicles, as good all seasons seem to be only good for 40k. I guess we have "lots" of turns per mile, so nothing will last particularly long. And of course, traction suffers once the better half of the tread goes away.

Originally Posted By: turboseize
My current Michelin Alpin A4 still have 6mm left after 40.000km, so they now get their third winter. Whether they'll see a fourth after that or wether I'll drive them into the ground in summer... we'll see.
But until now, I have any reason to believe I can get at least 60.000km out of them. The predecessors (A2 and A3) also got similar mileage, but the A4 is better in slush, snow and the wet.
Unfortunately, they don't make them anymore. The A5 a good friend of mine drives on his 9k is even (a bit) better in the snow and in the wet, but signifcantly worse on dry roads and wears much faster... Quite a disappointement.

Michelin is always good in longevity. Not the best in snow (they are getting really good on ice) but due to long life compound, snow is just OK.

Originally Posted By: supton
I think there's a guy here claiming to get 100k out of his...

I don't think I've gotten more than 30k. The aggressive ones would flat spot, which was maybe the cars fault? Dunno. Not sure I'd expect more than that on my vehicles, as good all seasons seem to be only good for 40k. I guess we have "lots" of turns per mile, so nothing will last particularly long. And of course, traction suffers once the better half of the tread goes away.

He can claim whatever he wants, he is NOT getting 100K out of Blizzak's.
Plus his post actually says 50K, so title and post proves that math is not his stronger side.
Even 50K, Blizzak's turn All Season after half of tread is worn out.

Generally about 25,000 useful snow miles, and then about 10,000 "summer" miles after that. Been the case with nearly every snow tire I have used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back