Emergency equipment in your vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: CKN
The beauty of life is right now if the weather is threatening at all I do not have to be ANYWHERE.

Me too. I understand that is not true for everyone, bt for me, right now, I have enough seniority (and vacation days) that I can elect to skip out on bad weather. Foot or more predicted? Freezing rain? I'm home. Few inches of snow? Meh, I'll go in.

As a result (and because I don't truly live in the country) I don't carry much. Just enough to get by.

smirk.gif
You understand......

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: CKN
The beauty of life is right now if the weather is threatening at all I do not have to be ANYWHERE.

If that's the beauty of life in your eyes, then you need to get out more.

Clearly...you must of skipped the part of my post about pulling a travel trailer from coast to coast.......

Admittedly, not much of anything besides my cell phone, but most of my driving is local. I don't usually take much on trips either though.

I have all the factory spare tire tools, jack, and a good spare on my 2002 Ranger, plus a mini air compressor. I have needed them before.

My 1994 Ranger needs a spare, jack, and tools. I keep forgetting about it.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Admittedly, not much of anything besides my cell phone

That is WAY more than we would have had twenty years ago and can fill in a lot of gaps of knowledge and inexperience."

1. First aid kit
2. 10 Pampers diapers (Have 3 1/2 month old).
3. Diaper changing textile (covers most of trunk).
3. pampers wipes (2packs)
4. Clorox wipes (trust me, great thing).
5. Breaker bar
6. Sockets 8-26mm
7. Fire extinguisher
8. 20 ton bottle jack
9. Slime tire bottle (big one).
10. LED warning lights
11. Medicinal gloves (well that is to pump diesel mostly).
12. Ski gloves (changing tire in blizzard or sand storm? better have it).
13. Ski hat.
14. Swiss knife
15. Air compressor
16. Two cell chargers with 1100mAh battery pack
17. 1 liter of same oil like in engine (not using a drop, but you never know).
18. 2 liters of drinkable water.
19. Gallon of windshield fluid (this is ALWAYS in a car in winter, in summer only when traveling longer trips).
20. Mechanics gloves.
21. Energy bars (if traveling longer always have bunch of trail mix etc and extra water, usually Costco pack of bottled water-36 bottles).
22. Tire plug kit
23. Ski googles (look under ski gloves).
24. AAA membership

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CT8
Gun.

Surprised that took so long. (My Major Kong's Colt 45 quote probably doesn't count)

Beer

Big cans = poor mans fire extinguisher

Jobsite must haves:
First aid kit
Fire extinguisher
Vehicle recovery and help:
20' 4GA jumper cables
3 flares
2 yellow ratchet straps
Flashlights

Gas buddy doing a survey right now and the tally so far is 61% carry some seasonal emergency gear

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edyvw

i suggest you add some type of pad/small baby blanky also: it insulates/protects the baby from hard public bathrooms countertops (you know, baby moving, hits a corner....) / hard changing surfaces
i would add a pacifier (i don't agree with it, but my poor ears....), some teething toy (you're going to start needing it in about 3 months), baby fever/upset stomach, scratch/bruises desinfectant/unguent, couple of lively colored band-aids (for the perceived booboo; don't worry, they are only mental thingies), a set of baby overalls, increase the diapers qty to 20 (if bad stomach hits.....), small tub of unscented vaseline, fleece scarf/ski baby mask (for when the wind is cutting; to protect the little cheecks and nose) and a bottle warmer (12 V outlet powered)
oh, and cd/mp3 device with the favourite songs (...of the baby)

source: 2 kids

now my turn:

in both cars:
-number from the road-services offered by my insurance
-cheap chinesium multitool
-tire depth gauge
-tire pressure gauge
-12v outlet tire inflator/flashlight
-led flashlight + 1 set of extra batteries
-rags/wipes
-windshield fluid (i like a clean windshield)
-some oil/trans oil (it doubles at ps)
-oil filter
-sunglasses (him/hers)
-windshield cleaning tool
-small shovel
-scraper/broom combo + good scraper (had to deal a couple times with ice engulfind the vehicle hard enough to break the scraper on the combo/could not open any door/enter trough trunk)

in my car:
-oil change pump
-long jumper cables
-some random tools (of course the 120 items SAE/Metric kit is deeply burried in storage)
-extra clothes to dirty
-couple cleaning supplies (i wear glasses; dirty auto-glass artefacts at night gives me the heeby-jeebies)
-extra pair of old vision glasses
-pair of half weared windshield blades (good enough for wintery slush+grit)
-couple gallons of trans fluid/oil (lady does not let me store it inside the house)

Surprised trauma kit was only mentioned once. A first aid kit with band aids and neosporin probably wont help much in the event of an serious accident.

Originally Posted By: pandus13

i suggest you add some type of pad/small baby blanky also: it insulates/protects the baby from hard public bathrooms countertops (you know, baby moving, hits a corner....) / hard changing surfaces
i would add a pacifier (i don't agree with it, but my poor ears....), some teething toy (you're going to start needing it in about 3 months), baby fever/upset stomach, scratch/bruises desinfectant/unguent, couple of lively colored band-aids (for the perceived booboo; don't worry, they are only mental thingies), a set of baby overalls, increase the diapers qty to 20 (if bad stomach hits.....), small tub of unscented vaseline, fleece scarf/ski baby mask (for when the wind is cutting; to protect the little cheecks and nose) and a bottle warmer (12 V outlet powered)
oh, and cd/mp3 device with the favourite songs (...of the baby)

source: 2 kids

now my turn:

in both cars:
-number from the road-services offered by my insurance
-cheap chinesium multitool
-tire depth gauge
-tire pressure gauge
-12v outlet tire inflator/flashlight
-led flashlight + 1 set of extra batteries
-rags/wipes
-windshield fluid (i like a clean windshield)
-some oil/trans oil (it doubles at ps)
-oil filter
-sunglasses (him/hers)
-windshield cleaning tool
-small shovel
-scraper/broom combo + good scraper (had to deal a couple times with ice engulfind the vehicle hard enough to break the scraper on the combo/could not open any door/enter trough trunk)

in my car:
-oil change pump
-long jumper cables
-some random tools (of course the 120 items SAE/Metric kit is deeply burried in storage)
-extra clothes to dirty
-couple cleaning supplies (i wear glasses; dirty auto-glass artefacts at night gives me the heeby-jeebies)
-extra pair of old vision glasses
-pair of half weared windshield blades (good enough for wintery slush+grit)
-couple gallons of trans fluid/oil (lady does not let me store it inside the house)

Well, I have changing pad, plus when kid is in the car we bring his bag with two blankets, another changing pad, spare clothes, so amount if diapers comes to 20 or even more when bag is in, and that is every time he is in car. He absolutely hates pacifier, and sleeps in a car all the time. He loves sound of diesel:) BMW had to change EGR valve (took them 2 weeks) and gave me 40e that hybrid [censored]. He went nuts because it was so quite. I actually had to keep roof tilted at 50 degree weather in Breckenridge to calm him down.
We already have bunch of ski stuff for him since he will be in no time skiing with me. However, big thanks for bottle warmer suggestion. I honestly did not think about it.
As for music, right now he has to endure AC/DC until he figures out what that is
smile.gif

We already have bunch of ski stuff for him since he will be in no time skiing with me. However, big thanks for bottle warmer suggestion. I honestly did not think about it.

actually thermos/insulated 1 or 2 L bottle with warm/hottish water may substitute/get used by adults too
don't worry, when he's 18 and he sits outside in t-shirt in -10C weather, you will know you've done good.....
beats being couch potato
I still can't figure it out how my girls have 6 packs....

As for music, right now he has to endure AC/DC until he figures out what that is
smile.gif

I see in your future a tiny toy guitar and some bitter neighbors :p
but seeing kids dance on that beets them....

Originally Posted By: pandus13

actually thermos/insulated 1 or 2 L bottle with warm/hottish water may substitute/get used by adults too
don't worry, when he's 18 and he sits outside in t-shirt in -10C weather, you will know you've done good.....
beats being couch potato
I still can't figure it out how my girls have 6 packs....

smile.gif

I see in your future a tiny toy guitar and some bitter neighbors :p
but seeing kids dance on that beets them....

Well, we are blessed to live where we live, and I ski since I was three. In the Southern Alps where I am from at that time ski schools were for kids of age 5-6. Here now there are ski schools for 18 months and older. I think I might wait until he is 2 1/2 just so he can communicate with me properly. I ski twice a week at least, so he will get used on cold.
Yes, thermostat bottle is very good for heating, I always have tea in one when I travel to mountains. But your suggestion about bottle warmer (they always advertise this [censored] you do not need, but not useful stuff) is right spot on.

ccw covers defense here.
someone would have to be deranged or very desperate to mess with me anyway.
i have a 5lb extinguisher in everything i drive.
only needed it once to put out a very small fire at an accident scene.the victim had been thrown from the drivers seat to the passengers with enough force to bend the door and tear a key machine from the bench denting the passenger sliding door deeply.he stated he could not move his legs.
having the extinguisher meant we didnt have to remove him from the wreck in case of severe spinal damage.
guy was ok after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back