Schaeffer 9000 5w40 in Detroit 60

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had run a Schaeffer 15w40 blend initially with this motor. A year ago, moved over to a Schaeffer 10w30 blend to see how it did. Last oil change, moved to Schaeffer 9000 5w40 full syn. Here is the sample on the 5w40. Newest sample at top of the listings, with the previous 3 results on 10w30 following. 617260 miles on the engine after a factory reman. 20749 miles on this oil.

Did the seat of the pants dyno tell you anything? Seems the Iron is a bit higher and the Lead lower what ever that may mean.

Lower lead may mean less bearing metal in circulation ...

The increase in iron might mean liner wear...

Not saying these are what's happening, just could-be's ... Or, could be flushing stuff that was already there, but not mobilized by the previous oil ...

In any case it all looks real good
smile.gif

yeah, I kinda attributed the higher FE it to the boat load of calcium that the 5w40 has in it. And I do mean a boat load. 3739 is a powerful amount of calcium in that oil. Might have cleaned things up a little and increased iron. Not worried, as the max FE allowed in 15,000 mile interval according to the 2016 Detroit Lube Manual is 200 ppm. The 31 ppm FE on this report was from almost 21,000 miles on the oil. Not bad for a motor that is now 620,000 miles into it's second life! Given the low soot level and other factors, if FE was a issue I would have guessed air compressor or bull gear before liner wear. Either way, it falls into the range of FE that it has gotten for a long time. Still very low.

That is some stout oil for sure.

I know this is off topic, but I am interested in knowing what kind of fuel mileage you are getting grossing near 80,000 pounds with no head wind? Last rig I drove years ago had the series 60 Detroit, so I am curious to know if fuel mileage has gone up since it dictates how much money is going in your pocket.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Did you change it, or was this an in-service sample?

I did change it. I had no pattern for how it would perform so didn't want to run it longer without some data to confirm. And it takes a week to get results back from the lab, and I can put another 3000 miles on the truck in that time frame. Will take the current fill to 25,000 and see what it looks like. Will probably change it at that time as well.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
That is some stout oil for sure.

I know this is off topic, but I am interested in knowing what kind of fuel mileage you are getting grossing near 80,000 pounds with no head wind? Last rig I drove years ago had the series 60 Detroit, so I am curious to know if fuel mileage has gone up since it dictates how much money is going in your pocket.

Truck has averaged around 7.93 mpg for it's entire life. Best month average was around 8.65. Would be nice if that was more often. Dry van work, some light some heavy, some backroad rolling hills, some nice flat interstates. A mix.

Originally Posted By: Rendezvous
Did the 5w40 always have that much zinc?

First run on it, so no perspective on that. Will see what the next run shows. Same batch on oil.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Will take the current fill to 25,000 and see what it looks like. Will probably change it at that time as well.

I'm going to be that guy and bet it would last a lot longer, too.

One can always hope. Not looking to set some sort of OCI record, but not beyond gradually taking things out longer till my comfort level gets the best of me.

Yeah, it has been a real good motor. Even now at 625,000 miles into the reman. And the Schaeffer has seemed to be just what it likes to have in it.

Anyone know how much P the Schaeffer 5w40 has to begin with? Thinking about running it in my 2014 F250 6.7.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: claluja
Anyone know how much P the Schaeffer 5w40 has to begin with? Thinking about running it in my 2014 F250 6.7.

Over the years, I've done a bunch of VOA followed by UOA of the very same oil. In each case, the readings for calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and zinc were (virtually) the same for each VOA to UOA comparison.

What you see in TiredTrucker's UOA, is most likely about what you would see in VOA of the same oil.

Boron is different, that drops from VOA to UOA. It depends on the oil, engine and length of time in use, but I've seen it over and over again. With Delo 400LE in my heavy diesels, VOA would show 500+ ppm of Boron. The UOA's would be down to 100-200 ppm. In a diesel pickup truck, the drop isn't so significant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back