Mobil 1 Extended Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
How well does this oil do for extended drain intervals? I have a 2000+ mile drive coming up this summer. I want to use this oil with the Bosch Distance+ filter in my stash. I might use the 15w-50 as this will be in the hot deserts, though I know the lighter grades work fine in my 1996 Avalon. I want this oil in around May 1, and it will be changed around October 1. I want it to go at least 10,000 miles.

I ran 15w-50 in the same car in the summer of 2008. I do not see why people flip out over it, as it works just fine & is often on sale. In the summer it is AOK around here.

Where'd you find 15W50 Extended? Is it some older oil you've had put away? I used to use it all the time till they stopped making it.

M1EP claims to be good for 15k mile OCIs, and I'm sure it is. Pretty much any good oil can go 8 to 10k miles, and even the least bit of tweaking for longer life should get it to 15k.

Gotta say, I'm with the others. 15w50 is extreme overkill for that engine... and I live in an area where temps >100F are the norm for a couple of months of the year. a 5w30 or 10w30 should be more than adequate. 15w50 isn't likely to harm anything, but its going to push oil temperatures even higher due to shearing friction in the bearing clearances. I'd probably go with 0w40 or 5w50 if I were going to do anything greater than a 30-weight, just to keep oil temps down.

Originally Posted By: Cristobal
I know it is a bit heavy, but if on sale I will get it.

Wow! You know it's too heavy but because it's on sale that makes it okay? This make no sense.

unless its a burner 10-30 should do. seeing thats its a mineral "synthetic" with reported addition of PAO to extend its range to 15,000 miles + long highway runs are easier on oil. the 10-30 will need less viscosity improvers, a good thing for sure

The key with the 15k are the magic words "up to". I'd not do anything much over 10 without a UOA to verify how it was doing in my vehicle under my use pattern.

That said I wouldn't give a second thought to running it 10k or less, save the money on the UOA you should have a decent cushion there.

15w50 will make the engine run hotter ,rob horsepower and gas mileage,
I know its hard to run what the engine manufacturer recommends because most people know much more about engines than the people that design them.
You know thicker is much better than that thin stuff.. Oh Boy!

Originally Posted By: Cristobal
I know it is a bit heavy, but if on sale I will get it. How long of a drain interval will this Mobil series do for?

10K miles shouldn't be an issue for the Toyota.
An UOA might indicate further headroom upwards.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
He is planning a trip next summer using an off spec oil that he hasn't even bought yet.
Amazing.

I wonder if he's put as much thought into his 20 year old cooling system.

robert

OP - You'll be fine running the 15W-50 for 10k miles - especially with mostly highway miles. It's overkill for your application as 5W-30 M1 will go 10k too and might save you a few dollars on gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back