M1 is the smoothest

Status
Not open for further replies.
I maintain 3 vehicles: 09 Civic R18, 05 Matrix 1ZZ-FE & 05 Lexus ES330 3MZ-FE

The Matrix was acquired about 2yrs ago /w ~135K KM and I got the fluids changed after the first week. Pretty sure it's been on bulk dino its whole life so it was idling rough. I put in M1 5w20 to start cleaning it out and surprisingly the rough idle smoothed out quite a bit. I chalked it up to an overdue oil change even though the old oil didn't look too bad.

The Civic was bought new and initially was on 5w20 PYB, then I tried valvoline synpower 5w20 once which actually made the engine louder so I switched to idemitsu 0w20 in Honda/Subaru bottles for the last few years. There was never any excessive noise with all the different types of oil, but there was a tiny bit of vibration @ idle felt through the steering wheel which is normal for 99% of all cars.

Last week I switched to M1 0w20 AFE @ 15% OLM for the first time /w 85K KM on the OD and surprisingly that idle vibration went away! I could not feel any difference in my hands between the car idling vs turned off. I could still hear the engine but that was it, no vibration through the wheel at all.

I will do this experiment again on the ES330. It currently has 187K KM on it and has been on PP 5w30 every 8-10K KM for half of its life, everything is original so it's starting to idle rough. I can actually feel more vibration through the wheel in the ES over the Civic. For the next oil change I will put in M1 5w30 and see if it affects idle vibration.

So far from what I've experienced, M1 is the only oil that has made a noticeable difference to engine behavior. I don't really care about the extra 1% MPG that M1 0w20 might provide but I do care about a smoother running engine.

the I just changed my 08 Escalade to M1 5W-30 from Amsoil SS. Got a great deal at CT over the summer. M1 was factory fill so I plan on using it till the OLM fires or one year. Glad you noticed a difference. I'm curious to see if I will notice any.

For rough idle I'd highly recommend running a bottle of Amsoil PI gas additive through your engine. I use it every 10,000 Km in all my vehicles. It did make a difference when I first started using it.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/fu...oline-additive/

I agree Mobil 1 is good oil but i never experienced a better idle from an oil change on any engine but who knows stranger things have happened.

Originally Posted By: vitez
the I just changed my 08 Escalade to M1 5W-30 from Amsoil SS. Got a great deal at CT over the summer. M1 was factory fill so I plan on using it till the OLM fires or one year. Glad you noticed a difference. I'm curious to see if I will notice any.

For rough idle I'd highly recommend running a bottle of Amsoil PI gas additive through your engine. I use it every 10,000 Km in all my vehicles. It did make a difference when I first started using it.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/fu...oline-additive/

I've tried Gumout Regane /w PEA which is the only gas additive proven to work. It did nothing for mpg or engine noise/smoothness.

One of these days, someone who makes one of these "it got quieter/smoother/whatever" will actually hook a sensor or two up and prove it with data. Until then...

robert

My Escalade 6.0 idled rougher and louder on PP, smoother and quieter on M1. But around 6k it starts getting a little rough again.. My uncles Toyota Sienna sounded like a box of nails on M1, purrs like a kitten on PP.

So I don't think we can say one oil is smoother than another. I think each engine has its own likes and dislikes.

I was very happy with Mobil 1 0W20 and 0W30. I'm even happier with PU since it meets the spec for my two of my vehicles, which unfortunately Mobil 1 didn't.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I was very happy with Mobil 1 0W20 and 0W30. I'm even happier with PU since it meets the spec for my two of my vehicles, which unfortunately Mobil 1 didn't.

If yours is a Chrysler the spec is on paper only. Political spec.

The one where the quick lube Mobil bulk passes ... But Mobil 1 does not ... ? Yeah, right.

My bet is that they made a decision to PoP test the GL6 oils and look forward, not backwards ...
In reality - this PoP could be one year ...
I'm done with Chrysler ...

I switched from M1 in my Impala to Edge EP and my idle is identical. The same tiny shimmy when warm at a red light, down to the tiniest details.

I even cleaned the throttle body and MAF recently on the Edge run and it's identical.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

If yours is a Chrysler the spec is on paper only. Political spec.

I know all about the spec. My service writer buddy left the Jeep dealership I bought my vehicle from, he was my Ace in the hole. Now I'd rather not get hassled for not using an oil not meeting the Chrysler spec, in the rare event of a problem or the remote possibility of getting called out for documentation of what oil was used. This makes things simpler, and PU is a fine oil. Win win in my book.

I don't understand Chrysler - I can't use an oil I have run in Mopar cars/trucks/SUV's for decades.
The FF in Viper for how long ?
I literally will not buy one over this - and I use both M1 and PP now ...
Pure corporate nonsense ... I have bought from the big 3 all my life and they ain't one now ...

Originally Posted By: 4WD
I don't understand Chrysler - I can't use an oil I have run in Mopar cars/trucks/SUV's for decades.
The FF in Viper for how long ?
I literally will not buy one over this - and I use both M1 and PP now ...
Pure corporate nonsense ... I have bought from the big 3 all my life and they ain't one now ...

I wouldn't go that far but I hear ya. Corporate nonsense, absolutely. I used/use Pennzoil and Mobil products for decades, so the choice was quite easy. Had my friend still been the service writer I probably would have never made the change.

Originally Posted By: 4WD

There's plenty of blame to go around, and it's not all Chrysler's fault. Sure, they have been playing some very obnoxious games with oil specifications for the better part of two decades, particularly when being passed from owner to owner, and Mobil is sick of it, and annoyed they lost the factory fill business. But, on the other hand, Chrysler isn't refusing to certify Mobil products, which we can see because the Mobil conventional is certified. They're both being childish about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back