Manufacturers putting turbo 4-bangers in SUVs

Status
Not open for further replies.
This trend of manufacturers moving over to souped up 4-bangers in SUVs/CUVs is not good, IMO. I know there is immense pressure to meet CAFE ratings but this is just ridiculous. Pack a SUV/CUV with seven people and luggage for a summer road trip, drive on hilly terrain with the A/C blasting in 95F heat, and then see if you prefer the turbo I4 over a V6. The stress placed on a 4-cyl carrying a heavy car also brings up the question of long term reliability. I don't care what they say; nothing beats the smoothness and refinement of a V6 (or V8) in SUV/CUV applications.

Discuss.

Last edited:
I have two 4cyl 2L normally aspirated CUV's and they are great in town and on the open road.
That said on the Interstate with a head wind you don't need to worry about the Police because keeping at 70 mph is a chore.
Turbos don't thrill me, neither do V6's to be honest. But V6's are smooth but I just remember the old days when they didn't get any more MPG's than a V8. Things have changed but 4cyls in cars over 3500-3700 pounds or so are questionable.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
This trend of manufacturers moving over to souped up 4-bangers in SUVs/CUVs is not good, IMO. I know there is immense pressure to meet CAFE ratings but this is just ridiculous. Pack a SUV/CUV with seven people and luggage for a summer road trip, drive on hilly terrain with the A/C blasting in 95F heat, and then see if you prefer the turbo I4 over a V6. The stress placed on a 4-cyl carrying a heavy car also brings up the question of long term reliability. I don't care what they say; nothing beats the smoothness and refinement of a V6 (or V8) in SUV/CUV applications.

Discuss.

thumbsup2.gif

Discuss.

I agree 100%. I think that might be changing soon though.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

please explain....

I don't care what they say; nothing beats the smoothness and refinement of a V6 (or V8) in SUV/CUV applications.

Discuss.

The same can be said about any application, not just SUV.

Turbo 4 engines have been used in SUVs for quite some time now, and I'm not seeing any mass outburst of reliability issues with them as compared to the same engines is cars.

Who's been making 4 cylinder SUVs or CUVs for awhile now??? Like it the last 3-5 years maybe?? Or farther back then that like say 7,8,9 yrs plus?? I am just curious. And give years of manufacture.

It's been a progression since the 1940's it seems. Nothing wrong with it I can see. I would rather have a pod I get into and tell where to go in safety along with all the other pods going places, than deal with today's driver aggression. Maybe it is just older age, but I almost hate to drive now there are so many pocket rockets driven by people who have no idea what they are doing.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

please explain....

I read somewhere that maybe the new administration will lighten up a bit on the automakers? Time will tell.

I love my undersized turbo in my truck. hard to beat 25-28 mpg during daily commuting and then running 75 mph in top gear hauling the race trailer on the weekends. Add in the fun factor of having the broad torque curve and it sure makes it hard to go back to a NA engine. Not having the car drop down gears when passing or hitting small hills is also a plus. Turbocharging is nothing new, engines can be designed to cope with the different stresses, and it is up to consumer to determine what they will buy.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Who's been making 4 cylinder SUVs or CUVs for awhile now??? Like it the last 3-5 years maybe?? Or farther back then that like say 7,8,9 yrs plus?? I am just curious. And give years of manufacture.

Audi Q5, since 2008 (in Europe), so that's 8 years now.

And if you consider 4 cyl turbo diesels, then it probably goes even further back and spans more models.

Modern turbo engines are computerized to a fare-thee-well. They monitor just about every parameter possible to make sure that the engine will survive above all else. As long as folks change the oil on them on time, they'll survive just fine.

Now whether or not they'll be as cheap to repair once they get to their third or fourth owners, the jury's still out.

I do like the little bitty turbo 4 in my Cruze. Mid to high 30's MPG driving in a suburban area, well over 40 mpg highway, and good passing power.

Engines have been grossly overpowered for their applications for quite a while now. Accelerating a heavy load up to speed on flat highways only requires a relatively small period of higher output -- after which, the engine runs at a relatively low power setting just to overcome wind resistance and the odd bit of change in elevation. Turbocharging was formerly pushed as a 'performance' option, but now it is going mainstream to increase fuel efficiency. And cars going to the junkyards on account of engine failure (after proper maintenance) are rare. Junkyards, at least around here, are full of vehicles that either suffered accident damage, or the engines were grossly improperly maintained.

Personally I think the crisis is more along the lines of how flimsy suspension components have become in the effort to save weight. Where even hitting a bad pothole can cause significant damage that requires maintenance action (hearing a lot more of this lately!).

My Chevy Cruze hardly ever downshifts up in the West Virginia mountain interstates unless I hit a really steep grade. Most of the time it stays in high gear. It gets high 30s on the average road trip and occasionally 40+. I haven't hears of very many turbo issues, although they do come up every now and then. A replacement turbo assembly (includes manifold, pop off valve, turbo, etc. costs 600 bucks. It looks like a DIY job.

Those Toyotas with turbos too??
Surprising that the Highlander was available with a 4 cylinder motor. My sister has a 2005 that is quite large and heavy. Can't imagine driving that badboy with a 4 cylinder.

Would be good if they used 4 banger diesels if they really want to deal with CAFE stuff. The 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD I had with a 2.8L diesel would get 33-35 mpg highway. Not too bad for a 4x4 with all terrain tires, lifted with Frankenlift II kit, and not the most aerodynamic vehicle on the road. Pulled a Interstate Battery delivery truck out of the ditch with it the first year during an ice storm. Would pull a farm fuel wagon over the property. Quite a capable vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back