Has Rural King changed oil suppliers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always noticed that Rural King oil containers showed Warren (I believe WPP) as the packager of their house brand oil. However they've recently changed the containers and the labels here in Indiana. Now the container no longer says Warren but rather Mid-States Distribution. Does anyone know if Rural King has switched to a "cheaper" oil than what Warren blended or marketed?

I believe at one time, Rural King had an official statement that their oil is actually a Citgo oil regardless of who packages or distributes it. But it's hard telling these days.

I didn't expect a fast answer from Rural King, but they did answer me quickly. For anyone who also notices this...their official statement is that Mid-States Distribution is now the supplier from whom they purchase the oil from, which is still a product of Warren (Warren Oil Company Inc).

I incorrectly believed it was WPP (Warren Distribution) in my previous post. Rural Kings response was "Warren Lube" which I assume is Warren UniLube/Warren Oil Company.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I don't have any RKs near me (I really like that store)...but recently visited one in Florida.
They still had both RK brand (made by Warren-Unilube) and Harvest King (reputed to be made by Citgo under 'Mid States Distribution').

Both products were the same price but it seems like they will eventually phase out the W-U product.

Harvest King is the name on the new bottles of practically ALL of their house brand lubricants. The old RK bottles and jugs are gone with only a few left on the shelf.

From the looks of Mid-States Distribution...that place appears to be some sort of mega distributor where places such as Rural King, Tractor Supply etc can basically get everything they sell (or many things) from one source. Must be a cost cutting measure. Thus Warren Oil does business with Mid-States now and not Rural King directly. That's my guess.

I should probably post their reply in their own words to clarify:

Customer Service Team (RuralKing.com Customer Service)
Nov 2, 9:19 AM CST

Hello,

Mid-States Distribution is the company we use to purchase from Warren Lube, the RK Brand oils are still made by Warren Lube. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Marino

Thank You,
Customer Service Team
Ruralking.com

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: neilLB7
Harvest King is the name on the new bottles of practically ALL of their house brand lubricants. The old RK bottles and jugs are gone with only a few left on the shelf.

From the looks of Mid-States Distribution...that place appears to be some sort of mega distributor where places such as Rural King, Tractor Supply etc can basically get everything they sell (or many things) from one source. Must be a cost cutting measure. Thus Warren Oil does business with Mid-States now and not Rural King directly. That's my guess.

I should probably post their reply in their own words to clarify:

Customer Service Team (RuralKing.com Customer Service)
Nov 2, 9:19 AM CST

Hello,

Mid-States Distribution is the company we use to purchase from Warren Lube, the RK Brand oils are still made by Warren Lube. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Marino

Thank You,
Customer Service Team
Ruralking.com

I am nearly 100% certain that HK is made by Citgo.

Just because Mid States DISTRIBUTES the W-U made oils doesn't mean they don't also DISTRIBUTE Citgo made oils.

I'm pretty particular for my Dodge diesel pickup and the wife's GMC Acadia. But for my 1994 Ranger play truck, tractors and mowers...I think RK is a great choice at a super great price. $1.79 a quart every day...and a little cheaper by the 5 quart container. Truth be told...I'm sure my Dodge diesel wouldn't mind their 15W40 at all. And I believe their synthetic house brand has the DEXOS logo on it...if my eyes were correct. It's $2.79 a quart.

AFAIK the RK branded oils (not Harvest King) are made by Warren Oil Co. of Dunn, NC, not to be confused with WPP or WNE.

Warren Oil also makes Lubrigold full synthetic, which I have been told by a Warren executive is "extremely similar" in formula to RK Synthetic. So who really cares if the additive pack is slightly different to save a few cents?

I've used both Lubrigold and RK Synthetic and my engines haven't blowed up yet.

These are at least two corporations that own and operate Rural King stores. One is Olney Rural King and operates in Illinois. Another is Watseka Rural King and operates in Indiana and Michigan. There may be a third corporation that has stores in Florida and other Southern locations.

My bet is that Mid-States Distributing distributes the lube products in the Midwest, and Rural King stores in the South get theirs directly from Warren Oil.

If Warren Oil is making the oil, you have a good product. We've used some Coastal semi synthetic in the shop and I think its a really solid product. They also have a heavy duty oil brand called Lubriguard, though I've yet to try it. They also sell gear oil under that trade name, and we do have that in the shop.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
These are at least two corporations that own and operate Rural King stores. One is Olney Rural King and operates in Illinois. Another is Watseka Rural King and operates in Indiana and Michigan. There may be a third corporation that has stores in Florida and other Southern locations.

My bet is that Mid-States Distributing distributes the lube products in the Midwest, and Rural King stores in the South get theirs directly from Warren Oil.

Could you go into more detail?

It sure is confusing, you got "Rural King" in the Northern part of the state of IL, then you got Rural King "Big R" stores. I never understood the "structure" of this company, something about the Owner died and the sons split the company into two businesses, but affiliated.

Quote:
03-06-2014 12:16:00
Rural King is a privately held company owned by the Beard - Melvin familes based in Mattoon, IL. They started in 1960. The Melvin family farms around 5,000 acres of which they own near Sullivan. They recently moved corporate headquarters to Florida for tax purposes. They recently hired an executive from Wal-Mart as COO, thus many similarities to Wal-Mart.

Last edited:
I visited RK in Florida and told a friend about it and when he went there he described it as "Tractor Supply on steroids". It's a huge store with pet supplies, automotive, clothing, firearms etc...all at great prices.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I visited RK in Florida and told a friend about it and when he went there he described it as "Tractor Supply on steroids". It's a huge store with pet supplies, automotive, clothing, firearms etc...all at great prices.

We have one here where I live in Ohio. Absolutely love that place! I call it the Walmart of Tractor Supply. I could spend half the day wandering around in there. But I'll have to check the supply of RK oil on my next trip. I always buy their full synthetic oil for the mowers and my Mother-in-law's John Deere X475 garden tractor. Full synthetic is usually $2.79/qt, but sometimes they run a sale on it.

L8R,
Matt

Yep. Stopped on earlier this morning. Most of the RK branded oil gone, being replaced with Harvest King. Didn't notice the older stuff, but the new label full synthetic oil is Dexos1 approved. And it's $11.99 for a 5qt jug.

L8R,
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back