Motul 300V 5W40, 5000km, 60000km ODO, Subaru BRZ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

This is my first (ever) oil analysis with my Subaru BRZ using the Motul 300V 5W-40. Car is a daily driver (city & highway) and seeing track days every now and then.

The tech commented that silicone can be found in the oil and has potential abrasive properties, any idea if that is of major concern? It was also mentioned that the oil's flashpoint has reduced by quite a significant amount and could be due to fuel contamination, any comments on this as well?

Any further feedback on the findings would be great!

8ASKKr2.jpg

Update: Looks like the tech updated their diagnosis

nWELGp4.png

Seems like the low flash point was not of a concern after all?

On the basis of assuming this sample,when new and unused, was as per PDS specs of , among others:
a) KV@100*C of 13.6 cSt , and
b) Flash Point of 230*C,
the so called 'fuel contamination/dilution' is of no consequential negative effects in this UOA (in terms of metal wear which is well better than normal).........
IF the lab Flash Point reading of below 190*C is free of error .......
which i'm doubtful ... though i've no evidence to back up my position.

The high 22 ppm of Al and 23 ppm of Si may well indicate issues with air intake system.
However bearing in mind there is negligible or no metal wear on Pb, Sn, Ni, Cu and Cr etc ,my hunch is part or whole of 22 ppm Al is not metal wear (of engine components,excepting aluminium cyl head and block ).......
but being unwanted contaminants and/or part of additive pack, as is probably the case with 23 ppm of Si too.

Btw, I believe this used oil sample is fit for continuing service.

JMHO.
blush.gif

Last edited:
Silicon is an additive in this oil, at 23ppm I don't think it is anything but additive. SInce Fe is low, just double check the air intake (filter + hoses) to be safe.

Aluminium is strange, I remember these oils having aluminium in voa due to aluminium packaging, but not 22ppm.

Does this engine have aluminium bearings?

Edit: where are you from? This labs name rings a bell!

Last edited:
As mentioned above - make sure your air filter is tight - seal w grease if necessary. High AL reading could also come from piston skirts - especially in a high reving engine like this where piston speeds are unimaginable. Take care to make sure the oil is warmed up before you put your foot in it, especially on cold winter mornings. Track days require the oil to be at least 150F before you go max throttle. Depending on how much track time this engine sees, 22ppm may not be that bad. Race cars wear out everything fast.

If he's from Frogland too, there's not much choice : 98 octane or 95-E10...which is IMO [censored] for such engines.
Note the price difference is not that great if you choose carefully your station
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: zeng
On the basis of assuming this sample,when new and unused, was as per PDS specs of , among others:
a) KV@100*C of 13.6 cSt , and
b) Flash Point of 230*C,
the so called 'fuel contamination/dilution' is of no consequential negative effects in this UOA (in terms of metal wear which is well better than normal).........
IF the lab Flash Point reading of below 190*C is free of error .......
which i'm doubtful ... though i've no evidence to back up my position.

The high 22 ppm of Al and 23 ppm of Si may well indicate issues with air intake system.
However bearing in mind there is negligible or no metal wear on Pb, Sn, Ni, Cu and Cr etc ,my hunch is part or whole of 22 ppm Al is not metal wear (of engine components,excepting aluminium cyl head and block ).......
but being unwanted contaminants and/or part of additive pack, as is probably the case with 23 ppm of Si too.

Btw, I believe this used oil sample is fit for continuing service.

JMHO.
blush.gif

Well, I do have a aluminium intake piping and silicone copuling running on my intake
laugh.gif
. I hope that is not the source of the foreign metals. I have swapped back to the stock rubber intakes to eliminate any variables when i send the next sample for another UOA.

Originally Posted By: Popsy
Silicon is an additive in this oil, at 23ppm I don't think it is anything but additive. SInce Fe is low, just double check the air intake (filter + hoses) to be safe.

Aluminium is strange, I remember these oils having aluminium in voa due to aluminium packaging, but not 22ppm.

Does this engine have aluminium bearings?

Edit: where are you from? This labs name rings a bell!

I am not sure on the bearing materials. Will have to do some research. I am from Singapore!

Originally Posted By: bigt61
As mentioned above - make sure your air filter is tight - seal w grease if necessary. High AL reading could also come from piston skirts - especially in a high reving engine like this where piston speeds are unimaginable. Take care to make sure the oil is warmed up before you put your foot in it, especially on cold winter mornings. Track days require the oil to be at least 150F before you go max throttle. Depending on how much track time this engine sees, 22ppm may not be that bad. Race cars wear out everything fast.

For sure! That was one reason why I had a oil temp gauge hooked up. If ~22ppm looks okay, I hope the trend either reduces or stays that way.

Originally Posted By: Ohle_Manezzini
Do you really need to use 98 octane gasoline? Fuel dilution can be from high octane fuel in a daily drive.

The owners manual did call for RON98. So I'll try to keep to it.

Originally Posted By: Popsy
If he's from Frogland too, there's not much choice : 98 octane or 95-E10...which is IMO [censored] for such engines.
Note the price difference is not that great if you choose carefully your station
smile.gif

For what such engines? These aren't high performers. It's a naturally aspirated boxer 4. 95-E10 is fine for that motor but 98 isn't hurting anything either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back