RIP chlorine containing products 1930-2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like the EPA is stopping the production (and importation) of chlorinated paraffin containing products in the middle of 2017. Its a good lubricant but not so much in engines due to accelerated wear over time and potentially creating hazardous waste. I know theres plenty of additives out there with them Duralube, MK, Prolong, etc.

I wonder what the companies will switch to, chlorinated paraffins are hard to beat for cost/lubricating ability. Be on the lookout since they can still technically sell them, they just have to stop producing them.

Wouldnt mind making a list of products, if you guys know any more off the top of your head; and then we can watch to see how they react in the next few months. Most of them are smaller companies but maybe theyll come up with some new technology.

Chlorine in general. I know the big chlorine producers in the area where I work have shifted their production almost entirely to bleach because of EPA, shipping and storage concerns.

I heard about that. Was that in the Dupont factories up there?

Shame, seems like the "old school" things that used to work well are slowly being phased out. No more Phosphorous

Originally Posted By: Diesel_Don
Looks like the EPA is stopping the production (and importation) of chlorinated paraffin containing products in the middle of 2017. Its a good lubricant but not so much in engines due to accelerated wear over time and potentially creating hazardous waste. I know theres plenty of additives out there with them Duralube, MK, Prolong, etc.

I wonder what the companies will switch to, chlorinated paraffins are hard to beat for cost/lubricating ability. Be on the lookout since they can still technically sell them, they just have to stop producing them.

Wouldnt mind making a list of products, if you guys know any more off the top of your head; and then we can watch to see how they react in the next few months. Most of them are smaller companies but maybe theyll come up with some new technology.

Does this mean they won't be able to make MMO anymore as it's currently formulated?

Haaa I hope its RIP with all the wicked epa garbage now. Thanks to the latest elections.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Exhaustgases
Haaa I hope its RIP with all the wicked epa garbage now. Thanks to the latest elections.

Sure, why not. What's a little cancer, lung disease, birth defects, and premature death between friends where maximum profit is concerned.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster

Sure, why not. What's a little cancer, lung disease, birth defects, and premature death between friends where maximum profit is concerned.

Well, my Great Grandpa said that the best products are the most toxic. (because the new EPA formula is never as good)

Last edited:
Shoot! It all started when they took away muh DDT, lousy enviro-kooks. I bet it's a Chinese plot!
static1.squarespace-1.jpg

The EPA and the Enviro-Freaks need to take five basic courses:

1. Logic and the Scientific Method (A great course for determining cause and effect)

2. Chemistry (A great course for learning something really scientific)

3. Physics (A great course for learning something really scientific)

5. Statistics (A great course for weeding out un-related data)

6. Biology (A great course for determining the interaction of cells with environmental materials)

grin2.gif

Last edited:
That's to assume they're not "scientific enough" rather than "abusing science" for other, dubious, political purposes. I mean, just read that DDT ad, they were so sure and why shouldn't they have been, they had the science afterall!
cool.gif

On the other side, DDT did its job very well and had a lot of benefits. It's exceedingly easy to just dismiss a chemical as "evil," notwithstanding the fact that it's a chemical, which has nothing but chemical and physical properties, and no morality to it whatsoever. Companies using ad campaigns to promote the product as the greatest thing since sliced bread are no less honest than campaigns that treat it as if it were going to cause a nuclear winter.

DDT did its job, and in the process nearly wiped out many species not intended to be affected. DDT ended up being one of the most dangerous chemicals ever concocted and used by man with the dangers greatly outweighing any benefits.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster

Kinda reminds me of an old George Carlin news skit on one of his older LP vinyl records back in the day.... "Scientists have determined that saliva causes stomach cancer. However, only when swallowed in small amounts over a long period of time." I wonder how some folks even get out of bed in the morning with worrying over so many things.

I'm all for clean air, low emissions and low environmental impact in general. It can actually create domestic jobs as well as benefit society. China, Mex, etc. should not be able to dodge the EPA by polluting their own environment. That should be a requirement of importing anything into the USA.

Originally Posted By: Garak
On the other side, DDT did its job very well and had a lot of benefits. It's exceedingly easy to just dismiss a chemical as "evil," notwithstanding the fact that it's a chemical, which has nothing but chemical and physical properties, and no morality to it whatsoever. Companies using ad campaigns to promote the product as the greatest thing since sliced bread are no less honest than campaigns that treat it as if it were going to cause a nuclear winter.

thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back