Advice for a fat old [censored] :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please be kind but since I'm not getting any younger (60) nor lighter (200ish) I decided to start bicycling for a little exercise. I have my old Fuji Del Rey hanging in the garage along with its Suntour components. Anyone remember those? In any case only real issue is it was sold back in the day when 27" wheels were the standard. In fact it's sporting Avocet 27x1 1/8 slick tires right now. They look good but won't really consider riding on 20ish(probably closer to 25+ really) year old tires. So before I consider looking at another bike anyone have suggestions for a decent 27" tire I could use?? Not wanting to break the bank either.

Thanks in advance,

Originally Posted By: Rick505
Please be kind but since I'm not getting any younger (60) nor lighter (200ish) I decided to start bicycling for a little exercise. I have my old Fuji Del Rey hanging in the garage along with its Suntour components. Anyone remember those? In any case only real issue is it was sold back in the day when 27" wheels were the standard. In fact it's sporting Avocet 27x1 1/8 slick tires right now. They look good but won't really consider riding on 20ish(probably closer to 25+ really) year old tires. So before I consider looking at another bike anyone have suggestions for a decent 27" tire I could use?? Not wanting to break the bank either.

Thanks in advance,

When I was a kid in the late 70s-early 80s Sun Tour BMX parts were uber high end and out of our price range (our allowance didn't pay too well haha). They were probably as top of the line as you could get. I think I had a Sun Tour t-shirt too
laugh.gif

I'd grab about any 27" tire and run with it. Once you rack up some miles you might want a different bike anyhow. That's not a knock, it's exactly what I did: I put 600 miles on a bike with cheapo stem shifters etc; and once I realized I liked what I was doing, dropped the coin on a Tiagra level road bike. Which I am quite happy with. Then again, if you have decent downtube shifters and like the bike, it may be worthwhile to do a 700c conversion, or to buy high(er) quality 27" tires.

Otherwise, Harris Cyclry might be a good place to look, but I do see 27" tires on Amazon.

If it's been hanging for a while I'd repack the bearings. I think on my $5 bike I did the damage to the bearings by waiting 50 or 100 miles before doing that. Then again, perhaps they were done by the prior owner, dunno.

Originally Posted By: Donald
In NY its time for ice, cold and snow. We have a while until its cycling time.

It's not quite that bad, not yet anyhow. I got into the habit of riding at lunch while at work. We have a nice 17 mile loop here; must have been 50F today.

I know I can bike down to 40F, sorta comfortably; but I need to get more gear to push that down to 30. I suspect that'll be the lower limit, it just won't be any fun at freezing.

Regardless of what you do for tires, congrats for making the choice to start exercising. It only gets tougher as we get older.

I'll never ride one of those skinny tire road bikes ever again.

Had two wipeouts on one of those years ago. The first time I was turning right into a street and the bike slid right out from under me, went for a rolling tumble but was mostly unscathed. In the other, the chain came off and I went over the handle bars, got a mild concussion and still have the scars from hitting the pavement.

A new modern bike with a comfortable riding position, good sized tires and quality Shimano components won't cost much, and give that old antique to Goodwill.

Continental Ultrasport tires are a pain to mount and dismount vs other brands in my experience.
My wife is an avid road bike rider. She knows how to fix flats. She got a flat several miles from home and couldn't remount the Continental tire.
I had to rescue her. She replaced them with Hutchison tires that mounted much easier and likes them better.

Exercise alone isn't enough. And it's not going to clean out a clogged cardio system. Go to http://nutritionfacts.org/. Click the health topic of your choice on the left and watch a couple videos. Heart disease is the number one killer in the U.S., completely preventable and reversible through lifestyle choices. Everybody in my family died of cardio disease. None were informed by their doctors that it was reversible. I won't be dying of cardio. Hope you won't either.

Originally Posted By: NibbanaBanana
Exercise alone isn't enough. And it's not going to clean out a clogged cardio system. Go to http://nutritionfacts.org/. Click the health topic of your choice on the left and watch a couple videos. Heart disease is the number one killer in the U.S., completely preventable and reversible through lifestyle choices. Everybody in my family died of cardio disease. None were informed by their doctors that it was reversible. I won't be dying of cardio. Hope you won't either.

+1, I cycled a lot and didn't lose any lbs. Counting calories is what helped lose weight combined with lots of walking and some resistance training = pushups, crunches and squats. They are free and you can do them anywhere. Start with 10 push ups per day and gradually build up to 25/day. Proper form means going all the way down and don't have your butt up in the air.

Advice from me...get yourself a new (modern) bike that will give you joy in first run... For example hardtail (I am suggesting it due to lighter gearing VS road bike)...and start riding in easy mode...so that you will avoid getting stroke
wink.gif

Start doing on yourself...watch what you eat...and thats it
smile.gif

Last edited:
OK, thanks folks. After posting I did see more 27" tires were available than I initially thought. I think I'll hold off a new bike until I see I'll stick with it. Heck, I even went to a Doctor, for the first time in 20+ years for a checkup, and had my first ever Colonoscopy early last month. A wise man once said "getting old ain't for sissies". (OOPS, just checked, apparently quote is attributed to Bette Davis).

In summertime I bought myself 29" cube hardtail... Deore-XT combo... For 900euros...

https://www.cube.eu/en/products/mtb-hardtail/acid/cube-acid-blacknflashyellow-2016/

First investment into that bike it would be that I will put road tyres on it 28x1,75 (622-47)... Then I will slowly change all deore components (shifters and front derailer) into XT... And since I am cycling a lot in the mountains I will also change basic discs with SLX ice cool ones...

So I got decent hardtail (wich will cover your needs 100%) for 900e...plus lets say in your case another 50-80e for conversion on road tires...

If that is set to high for you... You can still get decent ones with slightly lower level parts (alivio....acera) in 550-700e range...

Choose for yourself...I dont want to be the judge

And yes... Size of your wheels depends on your size of the bike frame

27.5: 14", 16", 18" // 29er: 17", 19", 21", 23"

Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
I also have a Fuji Del Ray that I NEVER ride. I ride mountain and fat bikes. I highly recommend a fat bike. I'm 50 and ride mine like I stole it. My dad is 70 and I built him one specifically to ride on the beach.
http://www.fatbikes.com/products/2017-whiteout-al-nx-1x11.html

This is a great deal.

Who on earth would buy a FATbike? Especially for normal cycling? You are stuck with their 1x11 setup... They cost the same as decent trekking or hardtail bike...and because of the drag produced by their fat tyres you can cover only short distances...or to go downhill by inertia of your own weight
smile.gif

But OP wants to invest into bike wich will give him fun and joy in riding so that way he will gain more health... Since he drove a road bike in a past... I am pointing him towards hardtail (or trekking) bike...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back