2015 Honda Fit Fuel Pump went out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the title says, the fuel pump went out at 20k miles. Dealer replaced under warranty but tried to say the addition of after market seat heaters caused problem. The heaters are not wired to fuel pump circuit and were not on the day the problem happened. Is this possible?

If the seat heaters were correctly installed and not within the area of the fuel pump causing it more heat or stress than normal, I would say that this possibility is almost Zero.

Stuff like this is what is doing Honda in.

For a next vehicle I am looking at Toyota more and more after hearing good experiences co-workers are having with Toyota for warranty work, TSBs etc.

Of course a dealer would point fingers. The fact that they replaced it perhaps points otherwise...

A seat heater if too big a draw could take the DC bus voltage down low, notionally causing issues in the motor. Turning on and off could also create inductive spikes that could make other problems...

That said, unless left on permanently, I cant see how the time that a seat heater was on, and the age of the pump, would make those two cross (unless there is some really funky wiring or something...).

Electrical engineer here, I call [censored]. Alternator failure from the additional load, maybe. Fuel pump? Very unlikely. That's like saying plugging a space heater into one outlet in your house caused the dishwasher to fail.

I agree with Dave ^. Dealer is full of it. So if you buy a car with a factory built in heater option vs. non- seat heater, do they add a special alternator? Not as far as I've seen. I never saw on rockauto when looking at alternators for cars asking "with sear heater" or "without seat heater". Additionally I always through that any spikes go through the battery and are sorted out this way in order to prevent damage to the electronics. I like Honda very much but with that being said I think your dealer is very fond of the Honda quality Koolaid.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
was it run low on fuel alot?

When you run low on fuel, sloshing in the tank can cause air to be sucked into the pump, the pump is cooled by the flowing fuel and the armature finally burned out.

Thanks guys, Each heater draws 4.5 amps. One was on a headlight High beam circuit and the other was the rear wiper. These are powered on/off with the key. This is my daughters car and she uses both of those very infrequently. I did the install myself. I have used these heaters in two other cars and never had a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back