jack pad that wont bend pinch welds

Status
Not open for further replies.
My jack saddle generally hits the cutouts on either side of the pinch weld jacking point. So, while I have seen a little bit of distortion it's never been severe. I did this on my last care for 23 years - tire rotations, brake jobs, struts. I honestly wish I had known about the hockey puck thing, but as I said earlier, it never cause me any grief.

What if the pinch weld is RECESSED up into the rocker panel like on my Buick ? What are you supposed to do then ? The car's on-board sizer jack fits through the recess and onto the pinch weld, but a floor jack saddle hits the rocker. Sure wish I could lift the car from the pinch weld instead of the sub-frame all the time.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
What if the pinch weld is RECESSED up into the rocker panel like on my Buick ? What are you supposed to do then ? The car's on-board sizer jack fits through the recess and onto the pinch weld, but a floor jack saddle hits the rocker. Sure wish I could lift the car from the pinch weld instead of the sub-frame all the time.

That's where a square piece of a 2x4 works good. Just make sure you go across the grain though.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Look at the factory jack and see exactly how it holds the pinch weld and where the lifting force is. On my Forester, it's on the inside edge next to the pinch weld.

This is a valid point.

OP, what's your vehicle and what does that factory lifting mechanism do?

On my vehicles, just a plain hockey puck does fine on the pinch weld. On a lot of vehicles, there's no need to cut a slot in it because the pinch weld itself, not the rocker above it, is the correct lifting point.

On vehicles I've owned, a plain hockey puck or block of wood are all you need because you're just trying to spread the force a little and not let the corners of the floor jack saddle damage the weld.

As "luck" would have it, my tire pressure alarm came on as soon as I backed out of the garage. I used my floor jack on the pinch weld. May Mazda3 actually does not have the little cutouts on either side of the jacking point. My jack saddle did not bend anything. Off I go to Discount Tire shortly to get the flat repaired.

Never figured out what is the point is of a cutting a groove in anything softer than steel. It's not going to slide out!

Originally Posted By: Traction
Never figured out what is the point is of a cutting a groove in anything softer than steel. It's not going to slide out!

Me neither. I don't cut any grooves into the hockey pucks, they deform around the pinch welds forming a groove anyways.

The idea behind cutting a slot in the puck is to make a home-brewed version of this, which bypasses the pinch weld to lift on the rocker.
1306434235_1_dp.jpg

However, in many cases cutting a slot in the hockey puck is ineffective and useless for a couple reasons:
-The hockey puck probably isn't thick enough to reach all the way up to the rocker on many cars unless you cut all the way through the puck. At that point, the puck won't be protecting the pinch weld. Look at the pic I posted. A hockey puck is not nearly that thick.
-On many cars, the factory recommended lifting point is a reinforced place on the pinch weld itself, not the rocker panel above the pinch weld, so there isn't any need to cut a slot in the puck. At that point, you're just trying to cushion the pinch weld a little and better distribute the force.

There are probably some applications where cutting a slot in the hockey puck offers a benefit, but that hasn't been the case on any vehicle I've ever owned. A simple hockey puck or block of wood offers enough protection to keep the pinch weld from being damaged.

I just cut the slit to aide in jack stand placement. The slit holds the puck onto the pinch weld while I lower the car onto the stand.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ

Me neither. I don't cut any grooves into the hockey pucks, they deform around the pinch welds forming a groove anyways.

The ones I have are softer than a hockey puck. The groove therefore allows it to stay in place, on the pinch, while the jack is being manipulated to be in the right spot. Makes it marginally easier if the adapter is affixed to the pinch vs sitting on the jack.

I have thought of going to junk yard and seeing if I can find a jack from a wreck. Then cut the top of the jack off and fit it to a metal pad that can be used with floor jack.

I have thought of going to junk yard and seeing if I can find a jack from a wreck. Then cut the top of the jack off and fit it to a metal pad that can be used with floor jack.

Some company should make them specifically to attach to our hydraulic jacks.
Sales would be hot.

Originally Posted By: cjcride

Sales would be hot.

You mean like this one?

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Sales would be hot.

You mean like this one?
It might seem like a good idea, as it won't bend the pinch weld, but it could easily bend the rocker panel instead.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Sales would be hot.

You mean like this one?
It might seem like a good idea, as it won't bend the pinch weld, but it could easily bend the rocker panel instead.

I read some reviews, and there are a few that weren't so good. So far the hockey puck with the cut has been working well for me. I would imagine gluing two together would work if I needed it any thicker. I just made one for jacking under the differentials, a piece of 3/4" plywood cut into a circle to fit the jack cradle. So far so good.

got one for around 12 bucks on ebay.. seems like alot but you figure a few bucks for a hockey puck and the time to cut it.. didn't have to bother with anything. showed up friday. lifted 3 different cars with it, one of them rusty. performed perfect. no cracking or cutting. it's not rubber like a puck, more like a prothane bushing kinda material. worked good for me. the bottom is textured so it doesn't slide. i'd buy another. need to get some covers for my jackstands now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back