Rotella T1 30w not for high speed engines?

Just bought a gallon of Shell Rotella T1 30w for our new Generac 10000w generator for its first oil change when it reaches 10hrs(at 9hrs after tonight). We run a BMX track that's off the grid, and will put the generator through an average of 10hrs every week with 4hrs during Wed. practice at 40% load! and 6hrs during Sat. races at 80-90% load(flood lights, concession stand).

Anyways, I checked the Shell Rotella website and in its description for the exact oil I bought, it states that it's not recommended for high speed engines. I never heard of an oil that's not recommended for high speed engines. Is it because the oil might foam?

The Generac engine is a V-twin 18hp with a pressurized oiling system, oil filter and oil cooler, and runs at 3600rpm at load, and I would guess that would be high engine speed.

Now I'm considering Quaker State Advanced Durability, Castrol HD, or SuperTech HD in straight 30w. Any recommendations?

I'm a semi mechanic for UPS. I'd find something else to use. I'd probably use Quaker State Ultimate Durability 10W30 in it myself.

I forgot to mention that it'll always be operating in tropical 75+ degree weather.

Is that straight 30 Rotella technically gas rated? It should have an API S something in a circle if it is. Last I looked, I don't think it was. Nonetheless, I would read their "not for high speed engines" verbiage as it isn't for use in diesel passenger vehicles, semis etc. 3600 RPM isn't very high IMO for say an off-road diesel application requiring a straight 30.

What does the owners manual say? Sometimes they give you a choice depending on temperatures.

You'll get a wide range of answers here on BITOG. Any 10w30 be it a passenger car motor oil or a heavy duty duel rated diesel oil, straight (gas rated) 30, duel rated 15w40 or 5w40 diesel oils.

All should work fine for you, but I'd check the owners manual. Follow the suggested change intervals too.

This is why I like Delo, no confusing and/or clashing info. The Rotella you bought will be fine, but seriously give the Delo 400 30 PDS a read sometime, as it clearly states that its a dual purpose API CF/SJ engine oil. Personally I would stick with the SAE 30 and NOT use an ILSAC 10W-30 as some have suggested, especially considering the temps you'll be operating the engine in.

Originally Posted By: HYPER
Any recommendations?

You only bought a gallon; even in Hawaii, oil is cheap relative what a new generator costs. Go pick up another SAE 30 that carries an API gas engine spec (for the sake of your warranty, if nothing else).

ngj0GzP.png

Shell ROTELLA® T1 oils are suitable for use in many turbo- and non-turbocharged light/medium-duty diesel-powered trucks and transport operations, including city operations and long-distance service.
Shell ROTELLA® T1 can provide dependable lubrication for small-to-medium-powered agricultural equipment, such as tractors. Also suitable for many low/medium-powered stationary applictions such as diesel-powered water pumps, generators, etc.

Seems like its fine for a diesel generator.

Its not a gasoline rated engine oil however.

I'd probably use a 15w40 oil in a heavily loaded air cooled generator.
most likely will get quite hot.

You guys are crazy. There's no reason why he shouldn't use T1, and/or an SAE 30. Maybe Broc Luno or Shannow will chime in soon. I can't be the only who knows the 30 will be an overall better lube, especially with the OP's above 75 degree temps.

Originally Posted By: Red91
There's no reason why he shouldn't use T1

He has a brand-new generator that specifically calls for "API SJ, SL, or better."

Rotella T1 (even though it once did carry SJ, before reformulation per Shell) does not meet this requirement.

You guys are crazy.

Have you dealt with Generac service providers regarding warranty coverage?

Consumer-level generators in constant service have one of the highest engine failure rates I know of. T1 certainly wouldn't be of causation, but it'd give them enough wiggle room to deny approval.

I presume that if you're so ardently arguing for T1 here, that you're also willing to cover the cost of a new generator for him, correct?

Actually I'd rather run Delo. That's why I suggested he look up the PDS on 400 mono grade, but one OCI of the T1 isn't going to to kill it. A lifetime of T1 isn't going to kill it. Shell has a habit of complicating oil recommendations as to not step on it's own toes in regards to profits. They sell a lot more T4, T5, and T6 than they do T1, so they push what sells and don't push T1 in those areas, even though it's perfectly acceptable. If his engine fails on your recommendation, are you going to buy him another one? He's brought his case to an online forum, and if something happens he opened himself up to that.

I keep saying he, could be a lady.

You guys are crazy. There's no reason why he shouldn't use T1, and/or an SAE 30. Maybe Broc Luno or Shannow will chime in soon. I can't be the only who knows the 30 will be an overall better lube, especially with the OP's above 75 degree temps.

You appear to be blind. Slinging around words calling people crazy...

you appear to have missed!

The oil isnt rated for use in gasoline engines and will therefore void the warranty.

Fyi: a generator at 3600rpm would not be considered high speed imo.

Most generators will reach very hot temps. No reason NOT to use a 15w40 esp. in a full pressure lube system.. that will likely see oil temps over 250F

The 15w40 will be thinner at operating temp than the 30w would be at 100C

I'm not blind, not slinging words, and not backing down from my recommendation. T1 will be fine, but OP, if you really want an HDEO 30 that does list a gas spec, give Delo 400 30 a try, or don't. 30 will be a superior lube to any xW-whatever, just won't be as cheap and easy to find.

The oil worked fine for decades. What could they have possibly done to it to make it not suitable for a simple small engine?

Originally Posted By: Rand

You appear to be blind. Slinging around words calling people crazy...

you appear to have missed!

The oil isnt rated for use in gasoline engines and will therefore void the warranty.

Fyi: a generator at 3600rpm would not be considered high speed imo.

Most generators will reach very hot temps. No reason NOT to use a 15w40 esp. in a full pressure lube system.. that will likely see oil temps over 250F

The 15w40 will be thinner at operating temp than the 30w would be at 100C
Your recommendation isn't recommended either according to the chart that was posted. Why wouldn't it void the warranty?

The better grades of Rotella get used in outboard motors - those spent a great deal of time at 4K- 5k+ ... So they must have more shear stable polymers and anti foam ads to deal with that whipping ... Of course some are running x-40 so if beat down one might still have an X-30 ...

This is getting out-of-control. Just use an oil that is recommended by the manufacture for the temperature the unit will be used at. A 30 viscosity with an SJ/SL or better rating. Any other oil recommended by our self appointed EXPERTS may void the warranty. Ed

Back