Pick A New DI Engine Oil For Me (2.4L Hyundai GDI)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been a while since I kept up with oils deemed especially good with new Direct Injection engines ... What WM available synthetic 5W20 have the better low ash , low NOACK specs which play nicest with DI engines ? . I'm considering M1 0W20 , maybe M1 5W20 , PPP 5W20 or Castrol Edge 5W20 . Hyundai says for the 2.4L GDI engine that severe service is 3,750 OCI while normal service is 7,500 OCI ... I do both so figure I'll split it down the middle and do 5,000 mile OCI's . Thanks in advance !

Originally Posted By: Danno
I like the low Calcium package in the M1 product. Supposed to play better with LSPI.

LSPI has affected a few low displacement T-GDI applications, the 2.4 isn't a turbo.

I don't believe a 0W is recommended for the Hundai 2.4L GDI engine - Check the Owner's Manual. As for the 5W-20s you list, they're all good although I have a slight preference for the PP using the Pure Plus (GTL) process. I have the same engine in a Kia Optima and use a 5W-30 weight because of the hotter climate in So. Calif.

In EU hy/kia recommend 5w40 synthetic for their GDIs and TGDis..

If awailable in low saps version (acea C3)... Depends even on your local fuel choices also (sulphur free gasoline)...

You really gotta do UOA to figure this stuff out with trends, but for off the shelf oils Penz plat full syn is really good oil for the price same goes with mobil 1. You can't beat those oils at Wally Mart prices. Amsoil signature series is nice designer oil IMHO but you better run extended interval at 96$ + shipping for 8 quarts lol at least for my truck.

And really any dexos approved oil should be fine for DI engines as I'm pretty sure all of gms current offerings are DI now except the 6.0 vortec they still offer in some vans and trucks.

Take my 2cents for what their worth I like oil research but some these guys around here probably have much more knowledge and research on their back.

I believe Hyundai approves several oil viscosities. To deal with potential fuel dilution in your DI engine, I'd consider going to a 5w-30 instead of the xx-20 you're considering, especially in your climate.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
It's been a while since I kept up with oils deemed especially good with new Direct Injection engines ... What WM available synthetic 5W20 have the better low ash , low NOACK specs which play nicest with DI engines ? . I'm considering M1 0W20 , maybe M1 5W20 , PPP 5W20 or Castrol Edge 5W20 . Hyundai says for the 2.4L GDI engine that severe service is 3,750 OCI while normal service is 7,500 OCI ... I do both so figure I'll split it down the middle and do 5,000 mile OCI's . Thanks in advance !

SAE 5W-20 grade is preferred on that engine.

Originally Posted By: Danh
I believe Hyundai approves several oil viscosities. To deal with potential fuel dilution in your DI engine, I'd consider going to a 5w-30 instead of the xx-20 you're considering, especially in your climate.

Good point about fuel dilution and it's viscosity-lowering effects. One of several reasons why I went with a 5W-30.

It depends on your driving habits, if you do lots of short trips, wich are less than 15-20 minutes, you could use a 0w30 or a 5w30 if your manual say that this grade is fine for your waranty. that would help with fuel dillution, or then again keep a short OCI with 0w20. If you dont always tow, go up montains, beat it or short trip it, follow the 7500 miles OCI and pick whatever 0w20 -5w20 with the proper ratings.

your engine will outlast the rest of the car after 10 years i'm sure. And Hyundai have a good powetrain warranty so no need to go over cautious there.

Originally Posted By: Bunny

It depends on your driving habits, if you do lots of short trips, wich are less than 15-20 minutes, you could use a 0w30 or a 5w30 if your manual say that this grade is fine for your waranty. that would help with fuel dillution, or then again keep a short OCI with 0w20. If you dont always tow, go up montains, beat it or short trip it, follow the 7500 miles OCI and pick whatever 0w20 -5w20 with the proper ratings.

your engine will outlast the rest of the car after 10 years i'm sure. And Hyundai have a good powetrain warranty so no need to go over cautious there.

Dude, if you only knew the first thing about Hyundai's infamous warranty. I'll put it in simple terms. The warranty isn't worth the paper its written on.

As an owner of a 2.4 GDI for 6 years, I'd recommend a 30 grade oil and checking the oil level at least every other fill up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wemay
I like the low Calcium package in the M1 product. Supposed to play better with LSPI.

LSPI has affected a few low displacement T-GDI applications, the 2.4 isn't a turbo.

Yes, I know. I have a 2013 Hyundai 2.4L Sonata.

But the DI in effect makes the 2.4 operate at high torque low speed conditions - which could lead to LSPI, even id it is not a turbo.

The car will drop to 1400 RPM in 6th and still accelerate at that RPM without downshifting.

Been using pp and qsud in wife's Santa Fe for a few years now. Change about every 5-6k and no issues. The Oem oil filters seem pretty stout too.

Originally Posted By: Gilstein
Been using pp and qsud in wife's Santa Fe for a few years now. Change about every 5-6k and no issues. The Oem oil filters seem pretty stout too.

Have you noticed any difference between the two... performance, engine noise etc.?

Originally Posted By: wemay

Yes, I know. I have a 2013 Hyundai 2.4L Sonata.

But the DI in effect makes the 2.4 operate at high torque low speed conditions - which could lead to LSPI, even id it is not a turbo.

The car will drop to 1400 RPM in 6th and still accelerate at that RPM without downshifting.

Got it. But LSPI wasn't a concern when we had our Sonata. We used everything from Syn, Blends, Dino; xw20, xw30 and 10w30. Never had a problem and always changed the oil between 4-5K miles. Also used many different brands of oil filters. IMO, sometimes we over think these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back